Author Topic: Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Well I know that is what you call people who don't just go along.  If I am an excuse by stating the fact that Trump had been wholly ineffective on his campaign promise to secure the border then so be it.  Instead of illegal immigration going down it has exploded to record levels.  And it also is exposing Americans to disease that these caravans bring.  It exposes Americans to the dangers of Cartels and the terrorists that they are joining up with.  And excuse me but the President was asked to designate the drug cartel terrorist organization.  He gives lip service to families who have lost loved ones but really does nothing to stop it. He talks about families and drug addiction.  But none of this is going to stop that.

All of that is indisputably true, so be prepared when they blame you and say you stole the emperor's clothes.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Well, you get it.
You see it in smaller towns where there is an 'inside' group and an 'outside' group, and if you are not on the inside, your competitors (who are) will get the permits, not have to go by every niggling ordinance, but you won't and you will. The playing field isn't level.
Worse yet, people are given the illusion of choice between Brand A and Brand X, when in reality (and this should be obvious to anyone who has been paying attention, especially for decades), they're the same product, just with different packaging.
One says they will bend you over the sink, the other says they won't (but do anyway).

Effectively, the only difference is who cheers for the next step toward totalitarianism (because "our guy" did it), and the whole social media construct gives the illusion that we are actually doing something.

Meh. It has been the same sucker game for decades, and this is just another round of those who think it will be any different lapping it up, blathering about "Rights" which only work for them if they take away someone else's Rights--which is wrong.

Either Rights are Rights for everyone, or they aren't anything but another tilt in the playing field, and not a Right at all.

You can't compensate for past wrongs by creating another group of people who have been screwed, but the controversy sure grants an opportunity to make it look like you are doing something, and keeps the penny stinkers at each others' throats long enough to keep your slimy ass in power. Whatta racket, whatta deal!

THESE PEOPLE PARTY TOGETHER, DESPITE THE KABUKE FOR THE CAMERAS.
Duh!
Like the small scale drama in every courtroom where the prosecutor and defense attorneys seem to be at each other's throats and then go eat at the same table in the courthouse cafe for lunch.

Lay out the simple metric of what would have happened to you if you had been caught pulling the sh*t that Hillary, Obama, Bill Clinton, Eric Holder, Loretta Lynch, Mueller, Rosenstein, Comey, the whole inbred frigging cast of characters in the 'Russia' probe and a multitude of unprosecuted unindicted co-conspirators have pulled. It has been going on for decades, survive until the changing of the guard and you're home free! Faithful minions will be rewarded! The unfaithful will have 'accidents', be discredited and shunned (whether they did anything to deserve that or not), or be discrediteed as "conspiracy kooks" when they try to blow the whistle. 

Where would you be?

In a Federal cell with some SOB who just might shorten your lifespan, that's where, for just one count of things they have admittedly done over 30,000 times--if not found shot in the back with all your valuables as a victim of a 'botched robbery', or in some obscure park with a couple of 'suicide notes' found well after the fact, in different locations. Your plane might have troubles, your car catch fire in your garage as you are pulling in, all sorts of misfortune might befall you. You can run, but that whole national security apparatus will find you if they want to.

Where are they, the insiders, the members of the 'club'? Still in the same jobs, still in the limelight, still raking it in, with the newsreaders making all sorts of lame-assed excuses for why they haven't been prosecuted, when you know damned well you'd be in irons.

If you had pulled the Jussie Smolette thing without having Kamala Harris as your Auntie, where would you be?
In custody, and if you weren't black to begin with, a pissed off CPD would likely have added that and blue to your complexion.
Yet he walks.

The last veil came off last presidential primary for me. We didn't have one. No chance to vote on who the candidate would be. That's right, the GOP muckety-mucks in this state decided what bone we'd be tossed to vote for against Hillary. Eff'em. I voted third (Constitution) Party. I like the Platform better, and despite the lack of polish the well groomed figureheads for the other parties had, found more sincerity there. I am no longer a Republican, the scales have dropped from my eyes.

Every day these people stall, stay out of jail, hold off on prosecutions is worth billions of dollars.  The Chinese make the designer drugs, ship them to Mexico. The Fentanyl goes in, is mixed with the opium from Afghanistan, the coke comes from points South, the meth is made right there, with precursors form China or elsewhere, (ever wonder why we have a heroin problem every frigging time we are engaged militarily in a region that, well, is known for opium?  I thought we'd learned our lesson in SE Asia 50 years ago with the drug mess here at home, but it's baack! ). Carted/walked/driven/shipped/ drone dropped/flown in in bulk, brought in under diplomatic seal, and distributed throughout the United States by imported Cartel members and Gangs from elsewhere, to the outstanding profit of someone out there, not to mention the slave trade (sex slaves are guaranteed one thing the slaves of the 1800's were not, they are going to be used, and not to pick cotton, and in the end their lives are cheap for the really demented--live show at 5, DVDs or files for sale, and extra to play). Huge frigging money, at least a billion dollars a day changes hands.

All the while we are told 'negotiations are in progress', we're going to stop this, control that, WELL, WHERE ARE THE RESULTS? what stopped? Those impressive piles of drugs and money? Meh. Less than a days business.

Our sons and daughters, nieces and nephews are on the front lines of this fight, often with their hands tied by ROE which cannot work, by lack of support from the people who crow about putting them there (for political gain), and yet, who earnestly try to stem the flow of illegal trade in people, drugs, and whatever else across our borders, while others (treasonously) orchestrate the very forces which overwhelm the limited resources which our defenders have been given.
The Caravans are no accident, but they are the smokescreen for much more.

They are all in the same club, folks, Carlin is right. Put on your big girl panties and listen up. It's the scam of the century, has been since Jekyll Island, and odds are full on you are not in the club.

Every word true @Smokin Joe! I hate it with every fiber of my being but, due to my considerably long life experience,  know that what you laid out above is the exact lay of the land.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You are the excuse for the NT's.  Wear it proud.
It isn't so much Trump I have the problem with, but some of his worshipers can't see the Emperor's wardrobe is a few threads  shy of being there. If all you have in answer to valid criticism is the liberal cry of "Hate!", you're plumb out of arguments.

Either the border problem gets solved, or it doesn't. So far, it isn't. Period.

Now point your little stinky finger at whoever or whatever you want to, but shooting the messengers won't build another inch of wall, and wont' slow the next thousand illegals down one bit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dancer

Trump is so full of himself it's ridiculous.  He once again is paying lip service to his supporters and they are buying into his rhetoric.  Meanwhile we have hundreds of thousands who our pouring over our borders and no one truly knows how many have gotten past border patrol or how many border patrol has been forced to let through. 

WE NEED OUR MILITARY AT THE BORDER!!!!    :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

There is military on the border.  The problem is that the military can't use their weapons...Posse Comitus Act.   It takes the approval of Congress in order for them to actually be able to use their weapons to stop the invasion.  Congress is owned by the open border lobbies, so I won't hold my breath waiting.  PDJT is using one of the few tools he has to stop this invasion.   Wouldn't it be nice if the Rs in Congress would actually support our President?  Vote the bums out.

Offline libertybele

There is military on the border.  The problem is that the military can't use their weapons...Posse Comitus Act.   It takes the approval of Congress in order for them to actually be able to use their weapons to stop the invasion.  Congress is owned by the open border lobbies, so I won't hold my breath waiting.  PDJT is using one of the few tools he has to stop this invasion.   Wouldn't it be nice if the Rs in Congress would actually support our President?  Vote the bums out.

First I've heard of the act you mention.  I always was under the impression that our Commander in Chief had the full authority to direct the military. Do you have a link or additional information?  Secondly, it has been reported that our military is there to assist in processing paperwork and babysitting.  Hardly good use of our fine military.

Yes, I get that he is trying to use his last ditch effort, but that doesn't negate the fact that much of the agreement was already agreed upon prior to him makingt his grand announcement.  Further he stated that details will be forthcoming.  Red flag for me.  This agreement is merely sending ILLEGALS back to be processed for asylum, and does not negate the fact the he's already agreed to allow the U.N. to place those seeking asylum; including into the U.S.  Closing down the border and refusing anyone further asylum would be a much more aggressive and send a much different message to those still coming in.  The only thing this is doing, is continuing to invite them in as they know that there is a chance that they will be granted asylum and eligible to apply for citizenship in just a short time; all paid for by you and I and they will be cared for once they get here.  The invitation to come across our open borders is still there.  That is what needs to be stopped!  Every time he makes an announcement of what he's going to do, he back pedals.  It's time for him to quit bluffing and actually do something!

I find it very hard to believe that the Mexican government is going to be able to control the influx of illegals waiting for processing better than our border patrol who has been reporting for quite sometime that they are overwhelmed and busting at the seams, so much so that they are just letting many through without being screened even for diseases.   So, Mexico has a better border patrol and more adequate barriers than we do?  Seriously?

BTW, welcome to the Briefing Room.  happy77
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:39:10 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.northcom.mil/Newsroom/Fact-Sheets/Article-View/Article/563993/the-posse-comitatus-act/

The Posse Comitatus Act
May 16, 2013

Section 1385 of Title 18, United States Code (USC), states:

“Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.”

The PCA does not apply to the U.S. Coast Guard in peacetime or to the National Guard in Title 32 or State Active Duty status. The substantive prohibitions of the Posse Comitatus Act (PCA) were extended to all the services with the enactment of Title 10 USC, Section 375. As required by Title 10 USC, Section 375 the secretary of defense issued Department of Defense Directive 5525.5, which precludes members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps from direct participation in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.

The PCA generally prohibits U.S. military personnel from direct participation in law enforcement activities. Some of those law enforcement activities would include interdicting vehicles, vessels, and aircraft; conducting surveillance, searches, pursuit and seizures; or making arrests on behalf of civilian law enforcement authorities. Prohibiting direct military involvement in law enforcement is in keeping with long-standing U.S. law and policy limiting the military’s role in domestic affairs.

The United States Congress has enacted a number of exceptions to the PCA that allow the military, in certain situations, to assist civilian law enforcement agencies in enforcing the laws of the U.S. The most common example is counterdrug assistance (Title 10 USC, Sections 371-381). Other examples include:

The Insurrection Act (Title 10 USC, Sections 331-335). This act allows the president to use U.S. military personnel at the request of a state legislature or governor to suppress insurrections. It also allows the president to use federal troops to enforce federal laws when rebellion against the authority of the U.S. makes it impracticable to enforce the laws of the U.S.
    Assistance in the case of crimes involving nuclear materials (Title 18 USC, Section 831). This statute permits DoD personnel to assist the Justice Department in enforcing prohibitions regarding nuclear materials, when the attorney general and the secretary of defense jointly determine that an “emergency situation” exists that poses a serious threat to U.S. interests and is beyond the capability of civilian law enforcement agencies.
    Emergency situations involving chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction (Title 10 USC, Section 382). When the attorney general and the secretary of defense jointly determine that an “emergency situation” exists that poses a serious threat to U.S. interests and is beyond the capability of civilian law enforcement agencies. DoD personnel may assist the Justice Department in enforcing prohibitions regarding biological or chemical weapons of mass destruction.

Military support to civilian law enforcement is carried out in strict compliance with the Constitution and U.S. laws and under the direction of the president and secretary of defense.

Offline Victoria33

Lol, who didn't see this coming... Threat, rescind threat.
@edpc
@Sighlass

Yes, plus he was not in the meeting with Mexico representatives, didn't face them, plus he never faces anyone he fires, does it with Twitter.  Yells/stomps feet on Twitter.  Using Trump type words: "Trump is the Best/worst liar the world has ever known."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:08:42 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline libertybele

??? A little confused with all these acts, especially with the Constitution naming POTUS as Commander in Chief.

What about the War Powers Resolution?  Presidents have sent troops to battle without an official war declaration as in the case in Korea and Vietnam.

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force (AUMF)....

After September 11, the United States Congress passed the Authorization for Use of Military Force against Terrorists (AUMF). While the AUMF did not officially declare war, the legislation provided the President with more authority upon which to exercise his constitutional powers as Commander in Chief....

Which brings up another point --- why hasn't the Mexican drug cartels been declared terrorists?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/commander_in_chief_powers
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 03:08:34 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
First I've heard of the act you mention.  I always was under the impression that our Commander in Chief had the full authority to direct the military. Do you have a link or additional information?  Secondly, it has been reported that our military is there to assist in processing paperwork and babysitting.  Hardly good use of our fine military.

Yes, I get that he is trying to use his last ditch effort, but that doesn't negate the fact that much of the agreement was already agreed upon prior to him makingt his grand announcement.  Further he stated that details will be forthcoming.  Red flag for me.  This agreement is merely sending ILLEGALS back to be processed for asylum, and does not negate the fact the he's already agreed to allow the U.N. to place those seeking asylum; including into the U.S.  Closing down the border and refusing anyone further asylum would be a much more aggressive and send a much different message to those still coming in.  The only thing this is doing, is continuing to invite them in as they know that there is a chance that they will be granted asylum and eligible to apply for citizenship in just a short time; all paid for by you and I and they will be cared for once they get here.  The invitation to come across our open borders is still there.  That is what needs to be stopped!  Every time he makes an announcement of what he's going to do, he back pedals.  It's time for him to quit bluffing and actually do something!

I find it very hard to believe that the Mexican government is going to be able to control the influx of illegals waiting for processing better than our border patrol who has been reporting for quite sometime that they are overwhelmed and busting at the seams, so much so that they are just letting many through without being screened even for diseases.   So, Mexico has a better border patrol and more adequate barriers than we do?  Seriously?

BTW, welcome to the Briefing Room.  happy77

I read that Trump originally wanted in the deal that Immigrants actually take refuge permanently in the first safe country which would be Mexico.  No asylum in the United States.  But as usual he backed down.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

??? A little confused with all these acts, especially with the Constitution naming POTUS as Commander in Chief.

What about the War Powers Resolution?  Presidents have sent troops to battle without an official war declaration as in the case in Korea and Vietnam.

The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30-day withdrawal period, without a Congressional authorization for use of military force (AUMF)....

After September 11, the United States Congress passed the Authorization for Use of Military Force against Terrorists (AUMF). While the AUMF did not officially declare war, the legislation provided the President with more authority upon which to exercise his constitutional powers as Commander in Chief....

Which brings up another point --- why hasn't the Mexican drug cartels been declared terrorists?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/commander_in_chief_powers

If he would designate Cartel as terrorists he could use the military.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

@edpc
@Sighlass

Yes, plus he was not in the meeting with Mexico representatives, didn't face them, plus he never faces anyone he fires, does it with Twitter.  Yells/stomps feet on Twitter.  Using Trump type words: "Trump is the Best/worst liar the world has ever known."

He should have been present in those meetings.  We are not addressing the problem which is Mexico.  It is their inability to reign in the criminal Drug Cartels.  They are driving the immigrants.  Every one of them goes through the Drug Cartel and many are forced to bring drugs with them. 

Secondly the most important thing that we need to do is stop the free benefits.  Before they even leave their home country they know once they get here we will give them housing, jobs, healthcare, dental, vision.  Help with English.  Priority for their children in our schools.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Lol, who didn't see this coming... Threat, rescind threat.

Actually @Sighlass the tariffs are still on the table, they are merely suspended.  If Mexico does not deliver on the agreement, they will be implemented.

We're not going to war with Mexico.   :laugh:

@edpc
@Sighlass

Yes, plus he was not in the meeting with Mexico representatives, didn't face them,

No CEO meets with second and third stringers.  This is what the team is for.  The CEO says yeah or nay ....

How do you not know this?

Online corbe

@Chosen Daughter Rep. Chip Roy has introduced a bill in the House to do just that but the appropriate Committee has not even considered it.

Rep. Chip Roy Releases Bill Asking Sec. Pompeo To Designate Cartels Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs)

March 12, 2019   
 Press Release

WASHINGTON--Rep. Chip Roy released the following statement Tuesday regarding his bill to direct Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to submit a report to Congress on the designation of certain Mexican drug cartels as Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs):

“Cartels are the problem and it is time we started acting like it,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) said. “My colleague Rep. Mark Green (R-TN) and I are asking Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to conduct a review in order to designate these specific Mexican drug cartels Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs).”

Reps. Roy and Green are requesting the Secretary of State review of the following cartels:
•The Reynosa/Los Metros faction of the Gulf Cartel
•The Jalisco New Generation Cartel
•The Cartel Del Noreste faction of Los Zetas

<..snip..>

https://roy.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-chip-roy-releases-bill-asking-sec-pompeo-designate-cartels-foreign
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

I read that Trump originally wanted in the deal that Immigrants actually take refuge permanently in the first safe country which would be Mexico.  No asylum in the United States.  But as usual he backed down.

That may still happen. The door has been left open to see how much progress has been made in 3 months.

I'm more than a little surprised by all the criticism of Trump on this deal. He's making real progress and he's doing it with all the Rats fighting him, Pubs undercutting him on using the one lever he has (tariffs) and the courts restricting his exercise of executive power. Also, Mexico is a sovereign nation and Trump can't just tell them he wants everything his way without giving them some room to maintain their national pride with their populous. Mexico doesn't want and can't afford to be designated a first safe country. I'm optimistic things are going to improve, if they don't Mexico knows they may get stuck with all these people.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

We're not going to war with Mexico.   :laugh:

That's not the point ... he could use the military to line the border to defend this country against the drug cartels.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that these caravans are here by mistake is living in a bubble and anyone who is believing this President's lip service needs to get their heads out of the sand and open their eyes.

Still beating on the one man on your side; a counterproductive strategy, IMO.  The President is the man carving pathways around a globalist Congress and a runaway judiciary to get the job done, but you are hell bent on blaming him while ignoring the obstruction in the legislature and the courts.

For the most part your posts are mind numbing in their repetition, ignoring the responses from other Briefers pointing out the facts you're missing.  Your raison d'être is to beat on the President and ridicule everything he does to wrestle control of our border from congress and the courts.

It's as though beating on the President fills your days with purpose.   Sad.

Offline bilo

Why?

So if the meetings breakdown Trump can be blamed, or accused of micro managing.

We really should be happy he has a capable staff and progress is being made.

Offline libertybele

That may still happen. The door has been left open to see how much progress has been made in 3 months.

I'm more than a little surprised by all the criticism of Trump on this deal. He's making real progress and he's doing it with all the Rats fighting him, Pubs undercutting him on using the one lever he has (tariffs) and the courts restricting his exercise of executive power. Also, Mexico is a sovereign nation and Trump can't just tell them he wants everything his way without giving them some room to maintain their national pride with their populous. Mexico doesn't want and can't afford to be designated a first safe country. I'm optimistic things are going to improve, if they don't Mexico knows they may get stuck with all these people.

3 months?  Perhaps that seems like a short time, but considering the hundreds of thousands have been pouring in for at least the last 3 months, that's a very long time in this scenario.    9999hair out0000

3 months?  Perhaps that seems like a short time, but considering the hundreds of thousands have been pouring in for at least the last 3 months, that's a very long time in this scenario.    9999hair out0000

We're not going to war with Mexico. 

Offline bilo

That's not the point ... he could use the military to line the border to defend this country against the drug cartels.

And what happens when a soldier shoots and kills a woman sneaking her baby across the border with her in the middle of the night?

Our military is exceptional at killing our enemies, but the media melts down whenever there is collateral damage and our politicians don't defend them.

Offline libertybele

Still beating on the one man on your side; a counterproductive strategy, IMO.  The President is the man carving pathways around a globalist Congress and a runaway judiciary to get the job done, but you are hell bent on blaming him while ignoring the obstruction in the legislature and the courts.

For the most part your posts are mind numbing in their repetition, ignoring the responses from other Briefers pointing out the facts you're missing.  Your raison d'être is to beat on the President and ridicule everything he does to wrestle control of our border from congress and the courts.

It's as though beating on the President fills your days with purpose.   Sad.

Come on @Right_in_Virginia though not a Trump supporter I do point out and pat him on the back when he deserves credit.

He sucks on the border crisis BIGLY!  That IS my complaint with him.  Many of these people coming across feel that this is their land, not ours!

I'll ask the question again -- the agreement is for Mexico to keep ILLEGALS in Mexico until such time as they are processed for asylum.  The question is --- Are we to believe that Mexico has a better border patrol and more adequate barriers and control of their borders than we do?? If that were the case ... why is our border patrol reporting that they are overwhelmed and busting at the seams?  Are we to believe that they have better control of their border and more room to hold these people than the U.S.??  Seriously?? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:15:49 pm by libertybele »

Offline libertybele

And what happens when a soldier shoots and kills a woman sneaking her baby across the border with her in the middle of the night?

Our military is exceptional at killing our enemies, but the media melts down whenever there is collateral damage and our politicians don't defend them.

It boils down to two things -- them or us.  Our enemies have murdered, raped, terrorized U.S. citizens and that is ok, but God forbid if we apprehend and return them or shoot at them coming across ILLEGALLY!!! Got it!