Author Topic: Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on  (Read 7021 times)

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
@dJames

Carlin was a big Lefty. Funny, provocative, insightful, one of the all time great comics.

I'm not so sure that "left" or "right" has much meaning anymore.

I saw Carlin as a truth teller.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And here is what the Mexican President has to say about the deal...……..

Earlier Friday in Mexico City, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador reiterated his own optimistic position.
'There is dialogue and an agreement can be reached,' Lopez Obrador said. 'I'm optimistic we can achieve that.' He added it was a mistake, though, for the U.S. to link migration with trade, reiterating migration must be addressed by solving social and economic problems in Central America. 'The causes of the migratory chaos aren't being analyzed, only the effects,' he said.

And, that's because it isn't a mistake. Quite the opposite.

Offline EdJames

Well I don't know what he is saying because I don't listen to Carlin.  I don't think I should temper my expectations at all.   My frustration is far more truthful then the worship on FOX News for that nothing burger deal.

@Chosen Daughter

You don't have to temper your expectations if you want to remain frustrated for the rest of your life.

If you weren't afraid to listen to Carlin, you would have gotten the message that @Smokin Joe posted below and you cheered for.

Bottom line: It is a Big Club, and you, me, and the rest of us here AREN'T IN IT.

The problem isn't going to be "fixed."  There is no one that you can "vote for" to fix it.

Trump isn't going to fix it, nor will anyone else.

Bearing that in mind, you should PLAN accordingly.

Offline EdJames

Well, you get it.
You see it in smaller towns where there is an 'inside' group and an 'outside' group, and if you are not on the inside, your competitors (who are) will get the permits, not have to go by every niggling ordinance, but you won't and you will. The playing field isn't level.
Worse yet, people are given the illusion of choice between Brand A and Brand X, when in reality (and this should be obvious to anyone who has been paying attention, especially for decades), they're the same product, just with different packaging.
One says they will bend you over the sink, the other says they won't (but do anyway).

Effectively, the only difference is who cheers for the next step toward totalitarianism (because "our guy" did it), and the whole social media construct gives the illusion that we are actually doing something.

Meh. It has been the same sucker game for decades, and this is just another round of those who think it will be any different lapping it up, blathering about "Rights" which only work for them if they take away someone else's Rights--which is wrong.

Either Rights are Rights for everyone, or they aren't anything but another tilt in the playing field, and not a Right at all.

You can't compensate for past wrongs by creating another group of people who have been screwed, but the controversy sure grants an opportunity to make it look like you are doing something, and keeps the penny stinkers at each others' throats long enough to keep your slimy ass in power. Whatta racket, whatta deal!

THESE PEOPLE PARTY TOGETHER, DESPITE THE KABUKE FOR THE CAMERAS.
Duh!
Like the small scale drama in every courtroom where the prosecutor and defense attorneys seem to be at each other's throats and then go eat at the same table in the courthouse cafe for lunch.

Lay out the simple metric of what would have happened to you if you had been caught pulling the sh*t that Hillary, Obama, Bill Clinton, Eric Holder, Loretta Lynch, Mueller, Rosenstein, Comey, the whole inbred frigging cast of characters in the 'Russia' probe and a multitude of unprosecuted unindicted co-conspirators have pulled. It has been going on for decades, survive until the changing of the guard and you're home free! Faithful minions will be rewarded! The unfaithful will have 'accidents', be discredited and shunned (whether they did anything to deserve that or not), or be discrediteed as "conspiracy kooks" when they try to blow the whistle. 

Where would you be?

In a Federal cell with some SOB who just might shorten your lifespan, that's where, for just one count of things they have admittedly done over 30,000 times--if not found shot in the back with all your valuables as a victim of a 'botched robbery', or in some obscure park with a couple of 'suicide notes' found well after the fact, in different locations. Your plane might have troubles, your car catch fire in your garage as you are pulling in, all sorts of misfortune might befall you. You can run, but that whole national security apparatus will find you if they want to.

Where are they, the insiders, the members of the 'club'? Still in the same jobs, still in the limelight, still raking it in, with the newsreaders making all sorts of lame-assed excuses for why they haven't been prosecuted, when you know damned well you'd be in irons.

If you had pulled the Jussie Smolette thing without having Kamala Harris as your Auntie, where would you be?
In custody, and if you weren't black to begin with, a pissed off CPD would likely have added that and blue to your complexion.
Yet he walks.

The last veil came off last presidential primary for me. We didn't have one. No chance to vote on who the candidate would be. That's right, the GOP muckety-mucks in this state decided what bone we'd be tossed to vote for against Hillary. Eff'em. I voted third (Constitution) Party. I like the Platform better, and despite the lack of polish the well groomed figureheads for the other parties had, found more sincerity there. I am no longer a Republican, the scales have dropped from my eyes.

Every day these people stall, stay out of jail, hold off on prosecutions is worth billions of dollars.  The Chinese make the designer drugs, ship them to Mexico. The Fentanyl goes in, is mixed with the opium from Afghanistan, the coke comes from points South, the meth is made right there, with precursors form China or elsewhere, (ever wonder why we have a heroin problem every frigging time we are engaged militarily in a region that, well, is known for opium?  I thought we'd learned our lesson in SE Asia 50 years ago with the drug mess here at home, but it's baack! ). Carted/walked/driven/shipped/ drone dropped/flown in in bulk, brought in under diplomatic seal, and distributed throughout the United States by imported Cartel members and Gangs from elsewhere, to the outstanding profit of someone out there, not to mention the slave trade (sex slaves are guaranteed one thing the slaves of the 1800's were not, they are going to be used, and not to pick cotton, and in the end their lives are cheap for the really demented--live show at 5, DVDs or files for sale, and extra to play). Huge frigging money, at least a billion dollars a day changes hands.

All the while we are told 'negotiations are in progress', we're going to stop this, control that, WELL, WHERE ARE THE RESULTS? what stopped? Those impressive piles of drugs and money? Meh. Less than a days business.

Our sons and daughters, nieces and nephews are on the front lines of this fight, often with their hands tied by ROE which cannot work, by lack of support from the people who crow about putting them there (for political gain), and yet, who earnestly try to stem the flow of illegal trade in people, drugs, and whatever else across our borders, while others (treasonously) orchestrate the very forces which overwhelm the limited resources which our defenders have been given.
The Caravans are no accident, but they are the smokescreen for much more.

They are all in the same club, folks, Carlin is right. Put on your big girl panties and listen up. It's the scam of the century, has been since Jekyll Island, and odds are full on you are not in the club.

Sadly, @Smokin Joe , you are completely correct.

Offline libertybele

Sadly, @Smokin Joe , you are completely correct.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that these caravans are here by mistake is living in a bubble and anyone who is believing this President's lip service needs to get their heads out of the sand and open their eyes. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

President Trump single-handedly solved the tariff crisis he single-handedly created and let us cheer his successful continuation of the status-quo!  Bravo Mr President. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Mere promise from Mexico is enough to justify, immediate return???  Maybe you've had a few too many cocktails?? 

No, I am just much more familiar with immigration and asylum law than are you.

If Mexico refuses to hold them while their asylum claims in the U.S. are being adjudicated (and overwhelmingly rejected), then our courts will order them to be admitted here pending resolution of their asylum claims.  And when they are admitted here and we lack the space, they get released without a hearing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html

Another big win is not having to explain why the wall ain't built.  The wall Mexico was going to pay for.
and when illegal immigration gets worse Trump can now blame Mexico for failing to live up to President Trump's tweets.

People with critical thinking skills might complain, but the base will say MAGA!!!

Offline libertybele

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html

Another big win is not having to explain why the wall ain't built.  The wall Mexico was going to pay for.
and when illegal immigration gets worse Trump can now blame Mexico for failing to live up to President Trump's tweets.

People with critical thinking skills might complain, but the base will say MAGA!!!

But ... this can't be!!  Trump told his supporters that he had made a 'deal' with Mexico.! So, Mr. President, please explain what YOU are going to do if Mexico doesn't keep their promise(s).  Are you going to threaten them again with tariffs or will you threaten them with tariffs and then, give them another year?  Trump OWNS the fiasco at the border! He threatened the DEMS, shutdown the government and they called his bluff.  He threatened Mexico, they called his bluff, and then he gave them another year.  They've called his bluff again.

Is he bluffing at this point, or is it the fact that he DOES NOT INTEND TO DO ANYTHING TO CURTAIL THE INVASION???

I am 100% convinced it was NEVER his intent to build a wall.  Watch closely Trump supporters as he reaches into his pocket for his next bag of tricks.  Poker definitely ain't his game as he is terrible at bluffing.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
But ... this can't be!!  Trump told his supporters that he had made a 'deal' with Mexico.! So, Mr. President, please explain what YOU are going to do if Mexico doesn't keep their promise(s).  Are you going to threaten them again with tariffs or will you threaten them with tariffs and then, give them another year?  Trump OWNS the fiasco at the border! He threatened the DEMS, shutdown the government and they called his bluff.  He threatened Mexico, they called his bluff, and then he gave them another year.  They've called his bluff again.

Is he bluffing at this point, or is it the fact that he DOES NOT INTEND TO DO ANYTHING TO CURTAIL THE INVASION???

I am 100% convinced it was NEVER his intent to build a wall.  Watch closely Trump supporters as he reaches into his pocket for his next bag of tricks.  Poker definitely ain't his game as he is terrible at bluffing.

So you believe the NYSlimes so you can post your hate.  Man it must suck to be a hater like you.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:47:15 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
That's a good way to describe it, we or Trump is weaponizing tariffs,  food for thought...

Trump is playing a risky game by weaponizing US economic power with tariffs
Fred Kempe

The effectiveness of President Donald Trump’s unprecedented weaponization of tariffs in addressing non-trade issues is facing its most significant tests yet in Mexico and China.

In the case of Mexico, he had threatened new 5% tariffs on Mexican goods – which were to be imposed as early as Monday. The aim was to force the Mexican government to stem the flood of undocumented migrants across U.S. borders.

The United States and Mexico reached a deal Friday night in which Trump dropped the tariff threat in return for Mexico’s commitment to increased immigration enforcement.

Read more at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/07/trump-plays-risky-game-by-weaponizing-tariffs.html

If I need an explanation, Mark Levine suffices for me, he's for all this stuff actually.

Offline libertybele

So you believe the NYSlimes so you can post your hate.  Man it must suck to be a hater like you.

Hate???  Quite the contrary.  I love this country.  Are you so blinded by your adoration of Trump that you don't see what is happening?   Mexico is going to keep some people behind the border so that they can be processed for asylum.  That's it.  That's the grand and glorious plan.  Wow...that ought to really stifle the hundreds of thousands that keep pouring over our borders!

Get real.  Open your eyes.  I do not hate.  I mourn for our Republic.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hate???  Quite the contrary.  I love this country.  Are you so blinded by your adoration of Trump that you don't see what is happening?   Mexico is going to keep some people behind the border so that they can be processed for asylum.  That's it.  That's the grand and glorious plan.  Wow...that ought to really stifle the hundreds of thousands that keep pouring over our borders!

Look. I understand you have an opinion.  that is cool.  We all do.  But damn girl.. you suck at objectivity.  Take the hate goggles off.

Trumpbot thinks it is disgusting how you defend your country instead of defending your President.

Offline Hoodat

Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on migrants

If only Trump would follow their lead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

No, I am just much more familiar with immigration and asylum law than are you.

If Mexico refuses to hold them while their asylum claims in the U.S. are being adjudicated (and overwhelmingly rejected), then our courts will order them to be admitted here pending resolution of their asylum claims.  And when they are admitted here and we lack the space, they get released without a hearing.

Ok, but what does that do to curtail the continuing invasion?  Our border patrol has repeatedly stated that they are overwhelmed at the border.  So now are we to believe that Mexico is going to be able to handle this invasion?  Really?  Do they have a better border patrol than we do??  Come on.  Is this what you truly believe?  If our border patrol can't control this influx how is Mexico going to??  Perhaps Mexico has more space for all these people than we do?? 

Offline libertybele

Trumpbot thinks it is disgusting how you defend your country instead of defending your President.

When our President defends this country and its citizens I will defend him.

Online Wingnut

Look dick head,  ( was reprimanded for calling you a Libtard by MOD 2 so I changed it to dick head)  I know you hate defending the country.  Bringing down Trump supersedes everything.  The means to an end.  No rest till Trump is dead   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:08:35 am by The Ghost »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
@Chosen Daughter

You don't have to temper your expectations if you want to remain frustrated for the rest of your life.

If you weren't afraid to listen to Carlin, you would have gotten the message that @Smokin Joe posted below and you cheered for.

Bottom line: It is a Big Club, and you, me, and the rest of us here AREN'T IN IT.

The problem isn't going to be "fixed."  There is no one that you can "vote for" to fix it.

Trump isn't going to fix it, nor will anyone else.

Bearing that in mind, you should PLAN accordingly.

Why should anyone vote for him?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

Libtard haters like you hate defending the country.  Bringing down Trump supersedes everything.  The means to an end.  No rest till Trump is dead

What the heck are you yapping about?  Seriously?  I do NOT hate Trump, I hate what is happening to our Republic.  Make no mistake.  I WANT TRUMP TO SUCCEED!  But, he is FAILING at the border bigly.  If you would stop and read the posts, read Trump's comments, read the articles, perhaps you could make an honest assessment of what is happening rather than blindly supporting him.

No rest until Trump is dead?  Have you lost your mind?  Are you even realizing you are saying??  Good Lord.  I do not wish him dead.  That is just plain sick!

Offline Chosen Daughter

What the heck are you yapping about?  Seriously?  I do NOT hate Trump, I hate what is happening to our Republic.  Make no mistake.  I WANT TRUMP TO SUCCEED!  But, he is FAILING at the border bigly.  If you would stop and read the posts, read Trump's comments, read the articles, perhaps you could make an honest assessment of what is happening rather than blindly supporting him.

No rest until Trump is dead?  Have you lost your mind?  Are you even realizing you are saying??  Good Lord.  I do not wish him dead.  That is just plain sick!

Ridiculous.  And even if things do not improve I am sure there will be another excuse.  Its been a roller coaster of border flubs, promises and flip flops.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:47:37 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Wingnut

You are a hater and you feed the hate.    You are the sick one. 

Online Wingnut

Ridiculous.  And even if things do not improve I am sure there will be another excuse.  Its been a roller coaster of border flubs, promises and flip flops.

You are the excuse for the NT's.  Wear it proud.

Online corbe

As someone mentioned earlier regardless of the outcome in this latest Tariff War with Mexico, most of us knew he was gonna claim Victory, the seals would clap and he'd exit stage left just as he did with N Korea, achieving nothing worth celebration.  Trump was right about some things, amongst them, I could possibly tire from all this winning.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

You are the excuse for the NT's.  Wear it proud.

Well I know that is what you call people who don't just go along.  If I am an excuse by stating the fact that Trump had been wholly ineffective on his campaign promise to secure the border then so be it.  Instead of illegal immigration going down it has exploded to record levels.  And it also is exposing Americans to disease that these caravans bring.  It exposes Americans to the dangers of Cartels and the terrorists that they are joining up with.  And excuse me but the President was asked to designate the drug cartel terrorist organization.  He gives lip service to families who have lost loved ones but really does nothing to stop it. He talks about families and drug addiction.  But none of this is going to stop that.