Author Topic: Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on  (Read 7020 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on migrants
Washington Post, Jun 7, 2019, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on migrants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-suspends-plan-to-impose-tariffs-on-mexico-says-mexico-has-agreed-to-take-strong-measures-on-migrants/2019/06/07/48ebba9e-8985-11e9-9d73-e2ba6bbf1b9b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0e70dee6ba72

Donald J. Trump
Verified accountï‚™ @realDonaldTrump 

I am pleased to inform you that The United States of America has reached a signed agreement with Mexico. The Tariffs scheduled to be implemented by the U.S. on Monday, against Mexico, are hereby indefinitely suspended. Mexico, in turn, has agreed to take strong measures to....

....stem the tide of Migration through Mexico, and to our Southern Border. This is being done to greatly reduce, or eliminate, Illegal Immigration coming from Mexico and into the United States. Details of the agreement will be released shortly by the State Department. Thank you!

5:31 PM - 7 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137155057667989511

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Imagine what our President could accomplish if he had some support in Washington.   :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Imagine what our President could accomplish if he had some support in Washington.   :smokin:
Yeah, Whats with those 'publicans, anyway?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Yeah, Whats with those 'publicans, anyway?

Geeze, I wish I knew --- for sure.   wink777

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Sure – they will get right on top of it and he won’t need to build the wall.    *****rollingeyes*****
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Mitt (tariff threat won't work) Romney reacts to the news of an agreement:

That's too good to be true.

Stop disappointing us.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Mitt (Trump may not win reelection ) Romney reacts to the news of an agreement:

Sure – they will get right on top of it and he won’t need to build the wall.    *****rollingeyes*****

88devil

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'd like to see what we are saying about this in 3 months time and so on.

China is known for making promises and also breaking them. We will see about Mexico.

I mean, Mexico could even have the best intentions but will they be able to carry it out? They can't even protects candidates running for office or a number of sitting mayors. To a foreigner, the place has to appear like a mess. Maybe AMLO will help it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:11:19 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I'd like to see what we are saying about this in 3 months time and so on.

China is known for making promises and also breaking them. We will see about Mexico.

I mean, Mexico could even have the best intentions but will they be able to carry it out? They can't even protects candidates running for office or a number of sitting mayors. To a foreigner, the place has to appear like a mess. Maybe AMLO will help it.

Yes!  Voice of reason.  We can't declare a victory when it doesn't exist yet.  Wait and see.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Lol, who didn't see this coming... Threat, rescind threat.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Lol, who didn't see this coming... Threat, rescind threat.

I didn't want to say it but you did.  I hope we are both wrong.  But the reaction is not appropriate that is for sure.  Nobody knows that Mexico will do anything yet.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

U.S.-Mexico Joint Declaration
US Department of State, Jun 7, 2019

The United States and Mexico met this week to address the shared challenges of irregular migration, to include the entry of migrants into the United States in violation of U.S. law. Given the dramatic increase in migrants moving from Central America through Mexico to the United States, both countries recognize the vital importance of rapidly resolving the humanitarian emergency and security situation. The Governments of the United States and Mexico will work together to immediately implement a durable solution.

As a result of these discussions, the United States and Mexico commit to:

Mexican Enforcement Surge

Mexico will take unprecedented steps to increase enforcement to curb irregular migration, to include the deployment of its National Guard throughout Mexico, giving priority to its southern border. Mexico is also taking decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations as well as their illicit financial and transportation networks. Additionally, the United States and Mexico commit to strengthen bilateral cooperation, including information sharing and coordinated actions to better protect and secure our common border.

Migrant Protection Protocols

The United States will immediately expand the implementation of the existing Migrant Protection Protocols across its entire Southern Border. This means that those crossing the U.S. Southern Border to seek asylum will be rapidly returned to Mexico where they may await the adjudication of their asylum claims.

In response, Mexico will authorize the entrance of all of those individuals for humanitarian reasons, in compliance with its international obligations, while they await the adjudication of their asylum claims. Mexico will also offer jobs, healthcare and education according to its principles.

The United States commits to work to accelerate the adjudication of asylum claims and to conclude removal proceedings as expeditiously as possible.

Further Actions

Both parties also agree that, in the event the measures adopted do not have the expected results, they will take further actions. Therefore, the United States and Mexico will continue their discussions on the terms of additional understandings to address irregular migrant flows and asylum issues, to be completed and announced within 90 days, if necessary.

Ongoing Regional Strategy

The United States and Mexico reiterate their previous statement of December 18, 2018, that both countries recognize the strong links between promoting development and economic growth in southern Mexico and the success of promoting prosperity, good governance and security in Central America. The United States and Mexico welcome the Comprehensive Development Plan launched by the Government of Mexico in concert with the Governments of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to promote these goals. The United States and Mexico will lead in working with regional and international partners to build a more prosperous and secure Central America to address the underlying causes of migration, so that citizens of the region can build better lives for themselves and their families at home

https://www.state.gov/u-s-mexico-joint-declaration/

The United States will immediately expand the implementation of the existing Migrant Protection Protocols across its entire Southern Border. This means that those crossing the U.S. Southern Border to seek asylum will be rapidly returned to Mexico where they may await the adjudication of their asylum claims.

In response, Mexico will authorize the entrance of all of those individuals for humanitarian reasons, in compliance with its international obligations, while they await the adjudication of their asylum claims. Mexico will also offer jobs, healthcare and education according to its principles.

:thumbsup:

Gov. Mike Huckabee
Verified accountï‚™ @GovMikeHuckabee 

Don’t let it go unnoticed that ⁦@realDonaldTrump⁩ got this done with NO help from the GOP Senate who threatened to abandon him instead of stand strong as     @potus suspends tariffs on Mexico after deal on immigration reached - Reuters

6:19 PM - 7 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1137167294801620992

Mark Meadows
Verified accountï‚™ @RepMarkMeadows 

.@POTUS comes through again. After decades of a poorly secured border and trade policies that put our workers at a disadvantage, the President put Americans first and negotiated a deal with Mexico that will deliver real, positive changes.

@realDonaldTrump delivering results.

https://twitter.com/RepMarkMeadows/status/1137181412715630592

7:15 PM - 7 Jun 2019

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on migrants
Washington Post, Jun 7, 2019, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Trump suspends plan to impose tariffs on Mexico, says Mexico ‘has agreed to take strong measures’ on migrants.

:silly:

Chad Pergram
Verified accountï‚™ @ChadPergram 

GOP NC Sen Tillis: I fully supported President Trump’s strategy of using tariffs to get Mexico to secure its border and stop the flow of illegal immigration to the United States. President Trump proved he wasn’t bluffing, and his bold leadership just resulted in a huge win

8:13 PM - 7 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/ChadPergram/status/1137195874080186369

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Gov. Mike Huckabee
Verified accountï‚™ @GovMikeHuckabee 

Don’t let it go unnoticed that ⁦@realDonaldTrump⁩ got this done with NO help from the GOP Senate who threatened to abandon him instead of stand strong as     @potus suspends tariffs on Mexico after deal on immigration reached - Reuters

6:19 PM - 7 Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1137167294801620992

Not goin unnoticed by me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mexico will send the Mexican national guard to their Southern border.  That should actually help keep a lot of Central Americans out at that.  But, we may well see them still able to get through some.  This part sounds like a plan.

Mexico will send the Mexican national guard to their Southern border.  That should actually help keep a lot of Central Americans out at that.  But, we may well see them still able to get through some.  This part sounds like a plan. 

I also like this:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Great.  Now we can bring the National Guard back. :smokin: