Author Topic: Glacier National Park Starts Removing Its ‘Gone by 2020’ Signs  (Read 1332 times)

rangerrebew

Glacier National Park Starts Removing Its ‘Gone by 2020’ Signs

Posted by Leslie Eastman      Friday, June 7, 2019 at 9:00am

Now, a new set of experts are reporting that the climate change apocalypse will start by 2050!

Back at the height of the global warming craze in 2009, before leftists rebranded it “climate change,” supposed experts predicted all the glaciers in Montana would disappear by 2020.

Daniel Fagre, a U.S. Geological Survey ecologist, warns that glaciers may be melting at an even faster rate than originally predicted, according to National Geographic. Fagre has been conducting research in the national park since the early 1980s.

In 2003, USGS garnered headlines by projecting a disappearance date of 2030 for the Montana glaciers. That was based on studies using 1992 temperature predictions from the U.N.’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Fagre’s current research reveals that temperatures in Glacier National Park have risen higher than was predicted in 1992. The Montana glaciers are now expected to be gone by 2020. And that will dramatically impact the park’s rare and sensitive plants and animals.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/glacier-national-park-starts-removing-its-gone-by-2020-signs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LegalInsurrection+%28Le%C2%B7gal+In%C2%B7sur%C2%B7rec%C2%B7tion%29
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:47:27 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Why the hurry?  They still have 6 months for the glaciers to melt. :tongue2:

Offline Hoodat

By the headline, i thought they were talking about Trump.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Glacier Park is in my back yard.

And anyone here will tell you it's all bullcrap, and always has been.

They compare pics taken in early June from decades ago to pics taken in September currently...

June is early spring up on the peaks... So the glaciers are robust.
September, right after a month of 90's and 100's... Of course the glaciers look receded and beat up.

But they don't tell you the snow is falling again up there by late September or so...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:01:30 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

They compare pics taken in early June from decades ago to pics taken in September currently...

September, right after a month of 90's and 100's... Of course the glaciers look receded and beat up.

But they don't tell you the snow is falling again up there by late September or so...
I figured it was something like that. Especially since Montana has had one of the coolest, wettest years in a long time.
Crap, I got snowed on in Nevada a couple of weeks ago. Had to go back to North Dakota to get some nice weather.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

I figured it was something like that. Especially since Montana has had one of the coolest, wettest years in a long time.
Crap, I got snowed on in Nevada a couple of weeks ago. Had to go back to North Dakota to get some nice weather.

I saw today in Paris, France that the wind chill at the French Open was in the 50s, and negatively affected the play of the mens semifinals.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Smokin Joe

I saw today in Paris, France that the wind chill at the French Open was in the 50s, and negatively affected the play of the mens semifinals.
Historically, Europe has never done well in times of cold wet weather. Bodes ill for governments in control (or wanting to be).

I wonder if a cold snap will send the 'immigrants' home....

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Hey... It worked up here for the hippies... Jussayin.

For about a half decade a while back, we had drought conditions and mild winters.
The time corresponded to a big hippy rondy up hereabouts somewhere... After their rondy, they just fanned out into the woods... And stayed a while.

Till the first winter we had a winter... Went to twenty below and stayed there for a month in January.
Next spring, a quarter of the deer were dead, and all the hippies were flat gone!
Worked out pretty good.
 :beer:

Online Smokin Joe

Hey... It worked up here for the hippies... Jussayin.

For about a half decade a while back, we had drought conditions and mild winters.
The time corresponded to a big hippy rondy up hereabouts somewhere... After their rondy, they just fanned out into the woods... And stayed a while.

Till the first winter we had a winter... Went to twenty below and stayed there for a month in January.
Next spring, a quarter of the deer were dead, and all the hippies were flat gone!
Worked out pretty good.
 :beer:
Yeah. We used to have a saying about the blowhards from down south who 'came up here to show us how to drill an oil well'. First time it hits 30 blow, we just see tailgates and out-of-state tags heading south (as soon as their fuel un gels... )

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

"Glacier Park is in my back yard."

The wife and I went through the park about ten years ago.  While driving through the park we noticed glints on the side of a mountain. We wondered what they were. They were cars on the Going To The Sun Road. Scariest drive out west we've ever taken, and we've been on quite a few mountain roads out west.
Plus, the day before we went through the park, a doctor and his daughter were attacked by a grizzly bear. Both survived but barely. (no pun intended.)
 Beautiful country, but I don't know if I'd like looking over my shoulder for Mr. Grizzly every time I went for a walk.

Offline roamer_1

The wife and I went through the park about ten years ago.  While driving through the park we noticed glints on the side of a mountain. We wondered what they were. They were cars on the Going To The Sun Road. Scariest drive out west we've ever taken, and we've been on quite a few mountain roads out west.
Plus, the day before we went through the park, a doctor and his daughter were attacked by a grizzly bear. Both survived but barely. (no pun intended.)
 Beautiful country, but I don't know if I'd like looking over my shoulder for Mr. Grizzly every time I went for a walk.

@goatprairie
You ain't seen nothing yet... What's beautiful, truly wondrous, can't be seen from a car... Heck, can't even be seen at all without walking off for a week or two... But I can take you to places that would make you weep with joy.

And griz ain't all that. Just be packin. I don't walk off without a .45 and a 45/70 close at hand at all times.

But I seldom have trouble from griz. Usually the dog takes care of it... And if he don't I am ready.
I have spent a whole lot of my life back up in the woods, and only really had problems with griz four times - And only two of those were serious.

Moose are worse. Unless you are standing between a sow and her cubs, a griz will deal. You can change a griz's mind. If a moose decides he hates you, he will not stop, he will not forget, and he will hate you forever.

And nobody knows why.  :shrug:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:39:06 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it. Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack.

Don't let em take your topknot  :beer: :seeya:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Don't let em take your topknot  :beer: :seeya:

Yep. Watch your'n. :patriot:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

@goatprairie
You ain't seen nothing yet... What's beautiful, truly wondrous, can't be seen from a car... Heck, can't even be seen at all without walking off for a week or two... But I can take you to places that would make you weep with joy.

And griz ain't all that. Just be packin. I don't walk off without a .45 and a 45/70 close at hand at all times.

But I seldom have trouble from griz. Usually the dog takes care of it... And if he don't I am ready.
I have spent a whole lot of my life back up in the woods, and only really had problems with griz four times - And only two of those were serious.

Moose are worse. Unless you are standing between a sow and her cubs, a griz will deal. You can change a griz's mind. If a moose decides he hates you, he will not stop, he will not forget, and he will hate you forever.

And nobody knows why.  :shrug:
I came nose to nose with a Bullwinkle years ago across a stream I could spit across. He could have turned his head and swatted me into next week.
No sudden moves....but...
I didn't know I could duckwalk uphill backwards until then.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yeah. We used to have a saying about the blowhards from down south who 'came up here to show us how to drill an oil well'. First time it hits 30 blow, we just see tailgates and out-of-state tags heading south (as soon as their fuel un gels... )
My one trip to your fair state to visit a few wells we were fraccing was during May and I thought I was prepared enough.  No way.  The 35 degrees and 35 mph winds even that time of year caused me to purchase a nice Carhartt coat from Runnings in Dickinson. 

I use it now on the farm down here, but only on the cold days, not during Texas May weather.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

My one trip to your fair state to visit a few wells we were fraccing was during May and I thought I was prepared enough.  No way.  The 35 degrees and 35 mph winds even that time of year caused me to purchase a nice Carhartt coat from Runnings in Dickinson. 

I use it now on the farm down here, but only on the cold days, not during Texas May weather.
Glad you enjoyed our summer weather!
(Just kidding, but that's fairly normal spring or fall weather, very mild for winter, and wind is a given).
 Frost is considered 'normal' up through the second week of June.

Carhardts are nice, and stop the wind (which is what you want to defeat wind chill). A couple of layers below that jacket and you'll be plenty warm, especially if you're moving around. (Don't sweat, though, which is why we dress in layers as a rule).

My real cold weather clothes are for -35 or worse, Nomex III, and feel like a gumby suit. Haven't had much call to wear them lately. An old M-65 jacket and liner do pretty well down to -20 or so, with overalls underneath.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:26:03 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Glad you enjoyed our summer weather!
(Just kidding, but that's fairly normal spring or fall weather, very mild for winter, and wind is a given).
 Frost is considered 'normal' up through the second week of June.

Carhardts are nice, and stop the wind (which is what you want to defeat wind chill). A couple of layers below that jacket and you'll be plenty warm, especially if you're moving around. (Don't sweat, though, which is why we dress in layers as a rule).

My real cold weather clothes are for -35 or worse, Nomex III, and feel like a gumby suit. Haven't had much call to wear them lately. An old M-65 jacket and liner do pretty well down to -20 or so, with overalls underneath.
My son moved last year to Laramie Wyoming that has almost those extremes of wind and cold.  First thing my wife and I did was to fly up there and bought a bunch of cold weather gear for his 5 kids at Scheels in Fort Collins so they could survive last winter.  They did get acclimated it appears as during our visit up there in April it was snowing and the kids were outside in short sleeve shirts playing. 

Me, I was wearing a jacket.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

My son moved last year to Laramie Wyoming that has almost those extremes of wind and cold.  First thing my wife and I did was to fly up there and bought a bunch of cold weather gear for his 5 kids at Scheels in Fort Collins so they could survive last winter.  They did get acclimated it appears as during our visit up there in April it was snowing and the kids were outside in short sleeve shirts playing. 

Me, I was wearing a jacket.
  888high58888
It hasn't been so long since we were telling the kids to get off their bikes and come in and put on a jacket and some gloves (and a hat)--they were riding them in the snow listening to the tires squeech (-20 or colder). Kids adapt incredibly well, we adults take a little longer.  :laugh:

The second coldest weather I have been in was in Riverton, WY years ago. (North Dakota still has it beat, but second place is noteworthy)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:16:17 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I didn't know I could duckwalk uphill backwards until then.

:silly:

All the good stuff happens where you can't sell tickets...  :shrug: :silly:

Offline Hoodat

@roamer_1  @goatprairie

I want to take my next family vacation (wife and 16-year-old) next summer to Glacier National Park, Waterton Lakes Park (Canada), and possibly Banff.  I heard the Sun Road was awesome, but I figure it will be closed most of the year due to snow.  Any suggestions on when would be the best weeks to drive it, or anything that cannot be missed?  Thanks.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

Historically, Europe has never done well in times of cold wet weather. Bodes ill for governments in control (or wanting to be).

You'd think, but Minnesota still is lousy with Somalians.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

You'd think, but Minnesota still is lousy with Somalians.  :shrug:
Escalades have pretty good heaters, from what I hear...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1  @goatprairie

I want to take my next family vacation (wife and 16-year-old) next summer to Glacier National Park, Waterton Lakes Park (Canada), and possibly Banff.  I heard the Sun Road was awesome, but I figure it will be closed most of the year due to snow.  Any suggestions on when would be the best weeks to drive it, or anything that cannot be missed?  Thanks.

@Hoodat
Well, June is kinda iffy up there on Going-to-the-Sun Road... They try pretty hard to have it open by the end of the first week in June, but the problem is that you're just driving through a corridor plowed through 30 ft of snow. Not all that pretty, other than the overlooks.

Late June (last two weeks) through July is just about the best time - The run-off is strong then, so all the falls and weeping walls are in their glory... And the wildflowers are blooming... But you're also fighting the tourist horde. If you land in late July, August, or especially September, there are way less folks (September they're all gone), but it's hot, and you take a chance on getting smoked out, or even closed out due to forest fires...

As for what not to miss, here on the west side (Apgar Village), taking a walk around McDonald lodge is something... Take your lunch on the shore of McDonald lake... I don't know what your family can bear as far as hiking...

But the Cedar Creek loop trail is a boardwalk that most anyone can do... That's down here in the bottom, pretty close to the village... It ain't very long... maybe 3/4ths of a mile IIRC, but it's a dang pretty little forest walk... Another easy walk, though longer and harder than the Cedar Loop Trail, Up at the very top of the Sun Road is a hike into Hidden Lake... About 3 miles... To the overlook is pretty easy, mostly boardwalk, and if you're lucky, you'll be walking with mountain goats. Down to the lake is pretty technical and no fun unless you are in good shape, but to the overlook is a nice hike.

I don't know about your physical ability, nor your wife, nor your kid... And remember, you likely won't have your wind due to the elevation... But for something more rigorous, the Granite Park hike or the hike in to Grinnell Glacier are two of my favorites... Though not to be attempted without pretty good confidence in your ability.

There are also guided rides based out of the west side, which I would highly recommend if y'all can set a horse alright. You can see some nice country that way.

To give you a gradient, If you are confident on the Appalachian Trail, and would consider it a tough go, or you are used to the Ozarks, you are cautiously able. But even if you are hill-folk from back that way, and wise, this is another order of magnitude.

If you are coming with a motorhome, bring a tagalong, because you are NOT gonna want to navigate the park, especially Going-to-the-Sun with that big pig... Though people do do it... If you listen to me, I am sure to save you a pair of underpants.

And I can't tell you about the east side much, but if you are coming in from the west side, it would be best to base out of Kalispell rather than the park itself - Camping is easier to find, and accommodations are somewhat cheaper. And there is a whole lot to do other than the park, in case you get rained out, or are not content to follow the crowds, to include Flathead Lake (likely too cold for you, but...), summer hikes and activities on Big Mountain, and Blacktail Mountain (ski resorts open for hike and bike), Flathead River and tributaries (hella good fishin)... Not to mention that I can tell you where the good eating is... Sykes grocery, Scotties Bar, the Old DeSoto Grill), and all the amenities y'all would expect in a good sized town. If you are coming later, the first week of august is the county fair and rodeo... And let's not forget guided whitewater rafting and canoe/kayak...

I ain't easy to find in the summer time, and busy with kin... But it would be an honor to meet you, sir, if I can. I would hope that would work out. Shoot, if my pins are working, I'd love to show you around...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:25:27 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Bizarre. This whole 'global warming' thing is a religion stronger than any other religion.
No matter how many times they make all these weird 'predictions'.
No matter how many times they are utterly 'in your face' wrong...

The faithful still 'believe' and pray to Al Gore. Amazing?
Imagine how absurd it would be for all these global warming cultist to die in a snowstorm.
And still they believe.
With their last breath they will yell, 'Snow did not kill me!' There is no snow dammit. Global Warming Forever!!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.