Author Topic: Illinois bishop: No communion for lawmakers who backed ‘abominable’ abortion bill  (Read 565 times)

rangerrebew

Illinois bishop: No communion for lawmakers who backed ‘abominable’ abortion bill

By Caleb Parke

Published June 07, 2019
Fox News

An Illinois bishop who calls an abortion bill passed by the state legislature "extreme" issued a decree Thursday that no lawmakers who supported it will be able to receive communion for "promoting the abominable crime and very grave sin of abortion."

Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan and state Senate President John Cullerton, both Catholics who pushed for The Reproductive Health Act, a sweeping abortion rights bill that repeals several restrictions on abortions, have been banned from partaking in the sacrament of communion at Mass in the Springfield diocese.

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-values/illinois-abortion-bishop-bans-lawmakers-communion

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Good!

San Fran Nan should be on the No Communion list also along with a few dozen other CINO's in congress.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
San Fran Nan should be on the No Communion list also along with a few dozen other CINO's in congress.

The Vatican has already told her she can't take communion.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Banned from communion is a minor issue with these types.

If you want the punishment to have meat, one needs to excommunicate instead.

Politicians will realize they lose all the credibility of being Catholic if they are no longer of that faith.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Banned from communion is a minor issue with these types.

If you want the punishment to have meat, one needs to excommunicate instead.

Politicians will realize they lose all the credibility of being Catholic if they are no longer of that faith.
I agree, but this is a good first step.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

@IsailedawayfromFR

Excommunicated means banned from communion.  I think you mean anathematized instead.  (And I agree, they should be anathematized.)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Excommunicated means banned from communion.  I think you mean anathematized instead.  (And I agree, they should be anathematized.)
Although I am no authority, I did run across this article in the National Catholic Register which presumably is which says otherwise. See bullett 2 http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/has-the-vatican-excommunicated-nancy-pelosi-8-things-to-know-and-share

I wonder why the article does not indicate the bishop ever said the word excommunication?

And I like the term anathematized.  Condemnation is what is deserving.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline verga

The problem with "banned from communion" is that it is limited to the local diocese. If instead they are excommunicated, or anathematized that is world wide.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

The problem with "banned from communion" is that it is limited to the local diocese. Other bishops do not have to follow it. It is a good idea for them to, but they are not bound by it. If instead they are excommunicated, or anathematized that is world wide.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:48:07 am by verga »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

The problem with "banned from communion" is that it is limited to the local diocese. If instead they are excommunicated, or anathematized that is world wide.
I now see the difference.  Thanks for clarification.