Author Topic: Trump’s Great D-Day Speech  (Read 328 times)

rangerrebew

Trump’s Great D-Day Speech
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:10:14 pm »
 Trump’s Great D-Day Speech
Posted By Matthew Continetti On June 6, 2019 @ 2:38 pm 
Trump D-Day   

President Trump gave one of the best speeches of his presidency while many Americans were brushing their teeth. His remarks at the seventy-fifth commemoration of D-Day at the Normandy American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France, were gracious, moving, poetic, and delivered in a time zone six hours ahead of the East Coast.

Which is too bad. The address deserves a wide audience not only for its content but also because it fits into the larger themes of this presidency. Speaking from what he described as "Freedom's Altar," Donald Trump once again made the case for reviving America's national spirit, sovereignty, and strength.

Trump told the story of D-Day and of some exemplary GIs before an audience that included more than 60 veterans of the landings themselves. Adding to the poignancy of the scene was the knowledge that the Greatest Generation is slowly fading into posterity. "When you were young, these men enlisted their lives in a Great Crusade—one of the greatest of all times," the president said. "Their mission is the story of an epic battle and the ferocious, eternal struggle between good and evil."

URL to article: https://freebeacon.com/columns/trumps-great-d-day-speech/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Trump’s Great D-Day Speech
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:53:57 pm »
I liked it, but the leftists are whining he plagiarized their hero, FDR.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 05:02:56 pm »
Great Speech????? Laughable!
Trump is a boring drone but obviously Continetti
has some sort of Man crush on him.
Trump will emphatically never, ever be conflated
w/the likes of Pericles, Cicero, Webster or Palmerston!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:50:06 pm by Absalom »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 06:09:41 pm »
There's no better D-Day speech than the radio speech Dwight Eisenhower gave to the forces about to launch the invasion itself.

He recorded the speech at the 101st Airborne's European headquarters. The recording is so clear it's no wonder there were rumours circulating among the Navy's crews on those waters that Ike was actually aboard one of the boats when he spoke.

President Tweety, you're no Dwight Eisenhower.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 06:18:00 pm »
There's no better D-Day speech than the radio speech Dwight Eisenhower gave to the forces about to launch the invasion itself.

He recorded the speech at the 101st Airborne's European headquarters. The recording is so clear it's no wonder there were rumours circulating among the Navy's crews on those waters that Ike was actually aboard one of the boats when he spoke.

President Tweety, you're no Dwight Eisenhower.

Maybe you're correct.  Trump should never quote people from history. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 06:23:15 pm »
Maybe you're correct.  Trump should never quote people from history. :shrug:
Not without attribution, anyway.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 06:27:15 pm »
Not without attribution, anyway.

I didn't see Trump's speech, so you may have a good point there if he did not mention who first delivered the prayer.  I honestly don't know. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 06:34:14 pm »
I didn't see Trump's speech, so you may have a good point there if he did not mention who first delivered the prayer.  I honestly don't know. :shrug:
I have a personal collection of 16,000+ surviving old-time radio shows, including a tonnage of programming from D-Day itself. (Including full broadcast days, just about, over CBS and NBC.) Somewhere in there Ike's recording was played for listeners on the home front, and the recording often turns up stand-alone in a lot of online OTR collections. That's how I knew of the address. I think, too, that FDR offered a kind of prayer for the D-Day forces that went over the radio (so, in fact, did the future Francis Cardinal Spellman, live from a church in New York, I believe), but other than the snippets of it played during those programmings I haven't yet found a complete recording of it. (I do have the CBS News special report that delivered the entirety of FDR's "Date of Infamy" address to Congress after Pearl Harbour.)

If you're a history buff, those surviving broadcasts are a fascinating way to get right in the room with our parents/grandparents on the home front when it all went down.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:35:16 pm by EasyAce »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 06:40:17 pm »
I have a personal collection of 16,000+ surviving old-time radio shows, including a tonnage of programming from D-Day itself. (Including full broadcast days, just about, over CBS and NBC.) Somewhere in there Ike's recording was played for listeners on the home front, and the recording often turns up stand-alone in a lot of online OTR collections. That's how I knew of the address. I think, too, that FDR offered a kind of prayer for the D-Day forces that went over the radio (so, in fact, did the future Francis Cardinal Spellman, live from a church in New York, I believe), but other than the snippets of it played during those programmings I haven't yet found a complete recording of it. (I do have the CBS News special report that delivered the entirety of FDR's "Date of Infamy" address to Congress after Pearl Harbour.)

If you're a history buff, those surviving broadcasts are a fascinating way to get right in the room with our parents/grandparents on the home front when it all went down.

They are also on YouTube...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 06:42:30 pm »

I've been to other excellent links you've provided to OTR shows.  I wish I could hear as well as I used to.

See, I misplaced who it was Trump was quoting, that's how bad I am. :tongue2:
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 07:11:29 pm »
They are also on YouTube...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Yes, but at archive.org you can download them for your own (they're in the public domain and have been for a number of years now) and listen any time you please. That's how I built my personal old-time radio library. (Another good source for downloadable old-time radio: the Old Time Radio Researchers' Library.)