Author Topic: 12-year-old girl took Uber alone to jump to her death, family says  (Read 467 times)

Online mountaineer

12-year-old girl took Uber alone to jump to her death, family says
Jackie Salo
June 7, 2019
A 12-year-old Florida girl called an Uber to bring her to a parking garage to kill herself, and her family blamed the the company this week for her death,  according to a report.

Benita “BB” Diamond, who is from Orlando, was picked up by a driver in the middle of the night on Jan. 10 despite the app’s policy against transporting minors, news station KCCI reported.

“If Uber had followed their policy, without a doubt, our daughter would still be here,” her father Ronald Diamond said Thursday at a press conference.

Her family said the girl took her mother’s phone to download the app then used a gift card she received for Christmas to pay for the ride.

While her parents were asleep, she was picked up in the Uber and driven to a nine-story parking garage, where she jumped from the top to her death, according to KCCI. ...
Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“If Uber had followed their policy, without a doubt, our daughter would still be here,” her father Ronald Diamond said Thursday at a press conference.

Not necessarily. She seem determined to harm herself. They have no way of knowing if she would’ve used another method, had the service been denied.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
If UBER had declined to accept her request because of her age, and then she got raped and murdered, they would be the same target.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Not necessarily. She seem determined to harm herself. They have no way of knowing if she would’ve used another method, had the service been denied.

Maybe.  However, that's just speculation.  The fact is she took and Uber to commit suicide.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I blame her parents, teachers and "friends."

"Suicide Is Painless" is a song written by Johnny Mandel (music) and Michael Altman (lyrics). It was the theme song for both the movie and TV series M*A*S*H. Mike Altman was 14 years old when he wrote the song's lyrics.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=t6b6XMfuKJLg-gSXiYe4Bg&q=suicide+is+painless+meaning&oq=%22suicide+is+painless%22&gs_l=psy-ab.1.7.0l10.4024.15155..25747...1.0..1.222.2291.19j3j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..35i39j35i39i285j0i131.V-wwQpXvfVo
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln