Author Topic: Mexico freezes bank accounts in widening migration clampdown  (Read 711 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Mexico freezes bank accounts in widening migration clampdown
Reuters, Jun 6, 2019

The Mexican Finance Ministry said on Thursday it blocked the bank accounts of 26 people for their alleged involvement in human trafficking, as Mexico broadens its migration clampdown under intense pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump.

The ministry’s Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) said in a statement it froze the accounts due to “probable links with human trafficking and illegal aid to migrant caravans.”

The FIU added that it would present the cases to the Attorney General’s office.

The United States is looking for Mexico to target people-smuggling organizations as part of a package of actions on immigration to stave off punitive tariffs threatened by Trump.

The move comes a day after the government sent soldiers and armed police to block a large group of migrants crossing into Mexico from Guatemala, detaining at least 350, and arrested two prominent migrant rights activists in Mexico City.

More:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-immigration-finmin/mexico-freezes-bank-accounts-in-widening-migration-clampdown-idUSKCN1T72LC

Offline bilo

Re: Mexico freezes bank accounts in widening migration clampdown
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 03:54:04 pm »
This is good news.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 04:00:50 pm »
26 people isn't a lot, but who knows how big those names are in the immigrant smuggling business. It's nice to see Mexico forced to acknowledge their role in all of this.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:09 pm »
26 people isn't a lot, but who knows how big those names are in the immigrant smuggling business. It's nice to see Mexico forced to acknowledge their role in all of this.

:thumbsup:

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »

There are so many moving parts to this problem it's great to see progress being made.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 04:43:10 pm »
This is a good thing and we should do the same here.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 05:33:42 pm »

Absolutely!!  :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:38:05 pm »

Some sources say these are activists.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:40:24 pm »

Yes we should. And I'd love to see a 25% tax on remittances to Mexico and other Central American countries. The democommies LOVE taxes- think they'll go for it?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 09:50:25 pm »
Yes we should. And I'd love to see a 25% tax on remittances to Mexico and other Central American countries. The democommies LOVE taxes- think they'll go for it?

If they can find a way to make money off of it, absolutely.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 09:58:16 pm »

Nah .. democommies only like taxing citizens.   :smokin:

But this is a great idea ... too bad it takes an act of Congress to implement. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 10:06:41 pm »
Nah .. democommies only like taxing citizens.   :smokin:

But this is a great idea ... too bad it takes an act of Congress to implement.

Yes, BUT the President CAN suggest a bill or request for Congress to come up with a bill to be enacted into law; yes, he himself cannot actually introduce it.

Dear Mr. Presidet... no time like the present!  :patriot:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:17:36 am »
girl from austin wrote:
"I'd love to see a 25% tax on remittances to Mexico and other Central American countries."

I want to see a remittance tax as well, but 25% is too high to be acceptable (i.e., "get it through Congress").

10-12% ought to do it. That will provide PLENTY of money.
And it ought to be on ALL foreign remittances, no matter to which country the funds are being sent.