Author Topic: Who’s in — and out — of the first Democratic debates  (Read 375 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Who’s in — and out — of the first Democratic debates

Barring a last-minute change, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock will not make the stage.

By ZACH MONTELLARO

06/06/2019 10:32 AM EDT

Updated 06/06/2019 11:30 AM EDT

A prominent governor running in the Democratic primary is at serious risk of getting shut out of the party’s first presidential debates — while a meditation guru and obscure tech entrepreneur take the stage for the most important event of the race so far.

That’s the state of play less than a week before the deadline to qualify for the debates on June 26-27 under the rules set by the Democratic National Committee.

Presidential hopefuls have until June 12 to cross one of two thresholds to qualify for the primary debates, and 13 of the 20 slots available are set. Montana Gov. Steve Bullock is currently out, one of the foremost candidates in danger of missing the stage. His camp blasted what it called the DNC's eleventh-hour "unmasking" of "arbitrary" polling rules, but the DNC said the Bullock campaign has been aware of the criteria for months.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/06/democratic-debates-2020-election-1356115
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I sense a disturbance in the Force.
Biden should be busy those days. He gains nothing by being involved in this shiiteshow.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The 13 candidates who can book their tickets include the race’s top figures. Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Beto O’Rourke, Cory Booker, Amy Klobuchar and Julián Castro are the top-polling candidates; following a random drawing, they will be split across the two nights, with five on one night and four on the other.
But also meeting both the polling and fundraising thresholds are Tulsi Gabbard, Jay Inslee and two lesser-known figures: Marianne Williamson, best known for authoring spiritual, self-help books, and Andrew Yang, a first-time candidate who wears a baseball cap that says “MATH” on the front as he touts his proposal for a universal basic income.

It oughta be a classic panderfest with innumerable promises of "free" stuff.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

Anyone here interested in watching? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline austingirl

@libertybele

I may tune in. Don't know how long I'll be able to take it.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

So it is not even a debate as it does not entail facing challengers as it is split up into at least 3 events.

How could the Miss America pageant operate that way?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Its like rubbernecking while passing an accident on the hiway.  You have to slow down and look for the dead bodies..
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

If they dogpile on Biden that might be fun.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tulsi's in for now. Also, the article sounds like since there are so many candidates, the debates will be held over 2 nights. Different candidates each night. Sounds like Tulsi has met the filing requirements and all that so she is in, even if she is not that popular at the moment per polling.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:16:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline Night Hides Not

If they dogpile on Biden that might be fun.

The others don't have a choice, they have to go after the top dog...and they'll have plenty of ammunition, with all of Biden's flip flops over the past 4-5 decades.

ETA: there won't be any blowback from the dogpiling. If anything, their supporters expect it, because Biden is too "moderate", too old, too male, too white for their liking.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:50:38 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline GrouchoTex

From the article:

"In order to be eligible for the debates, candidates must cross one of two thresholds: earning 1 percent in three polls approved by the DNC, or receiving donations from 65,000 people, with 200 in 20 different states."

Odd, that the party which is always complaining about the rich soaking everybody else, has made the ability to get money a criteria for their presidential debate.

Offline austingirl

The American people really need to hear from those one percenters!

Offline Victoria33

From the article: "In order to be eligible for the debates, candidates must cross one of two thresholds: earning 1 percent in three polls approved by the DNC, or receiving donations from 65,000 people, with 200 in 20 different states." Odd, that the party which is always complaining about the rich soaking everybody else, has made the ability to get money a criteria for their presidential debate.
@GrouchoTex
@roamer_1
@Cyber Liberty
@QueenCatofAragon

In each state, the Republican Party and the Democrat party have rules to decide who gets to go to the State Convention of their party. 

A number of years ago, I was the Republican Party Secretary of our county party (for ten years).  The  State Republican Party had this method of determining who went to the state convention.  On voting day, each Voting Precinct had a meeting after the polls closed, to select, by voting, the certain number of delegates they wanted to send to the County Convention.  When the County Convention met, they selected, by voting, the delegates to go to the State Convention.

One year, I wondered what rules the State Democrat Party had for selecting their delegates to their State Convention.  I when to their website to find out. Now, Groucho, stay with me here:

No Precinct Conventions to select delegates to county convention.  No County Convention to select delegates to state convention.  If one wanted to go to their state convention, the person filled out a form which was on the website to print.

It was a form on which to write or check (don't remember except I think I still have that on my computer under Politics), what their sexual orientation was - gay,  lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender, cross dresser, and any other ones they use.

On the form they gave the reason they needed the sexual orientation - THEY WANTED THE CONVENTION TO HAVE, AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, THE SAME NUMBER FROM EACH SEXUAL ORIENTATION SO ALL TYPES COULD BE REPRESENTED EQUALLY.

I thought about their form with the sex question(s).  I was the one who collected the forms filled out by our Republican delegates to go to our state contention.  I thought if our delegates had to fill out a question(s) about their sex organs, they would have thrown the form in my face and put my beaten body on a bus to no where.  END OF STORY.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:15:45 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline GrouchoTex

@Victoria33

"A number of years ago, I was the Republican Party Secretary of our county party (for ten years).  The  State Republican Party had this method of determining who went to the state convention.  On voting day, each Voting Precinct had a meeting after the polls closed, to select, by voting, the certain number of delegates they wanted to send to the County Convention.  When the County Convention met, they selected, by voting, the delegates to go to the State Convention."

I have gone from precinct to county convention before.
Pretty simple exercise, to be sure, and no one cared what my bodily functions were!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I thought about their form with the sex question(s).  I was the one who collected the forms filled out by our Republican delegates to go to our state contention.  I thought if our delegates had to fill out a question(s) about their sex organs, they would have thrown the form in my face and put my beaten body on a bus to no where.  END OF STORY.

@Victoria33

That's about the size of it.  In AZ we spell "no where" "Colorado City."   :tongue2:

Thanks for the ping!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: