Author Topic: Regulators give phone companies new tools to fight robocalls  (Read 1375 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Giddy up! 

NEW YORK (AP) -- Federal regulators voted Thursday to give phone companies the right to block unwanted calls without getting customers' permission first.

The Federal Communications Commission's move could make call-blocking widespread and help consumers dodge annoying robocalls.

The agency expects phone companies to offer these tools for free, but it doesn't require them to. Consumers can also "opt out" and ask their company not to block anything.

As the robocall problem has grown, Congress is taking steps, too. But political gridlock could derail bills aimed at beefing up enforcement and forcing phone companies to do more. The companies have been slow to act against such automated calls on their own. And even if companies do implement better technology, scammers and telemarketers will somehow get through in this never-ending arms race.

https://news.yahoo.com/more-help-fight-robocalls-regulators-070119914.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

Re: Regulators give phone companies new tools to fight robocalls
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
If not "fixed" soon, people will use other technology for voice calls, such as Skype or Facetime or the next new thing.

Already many have given up their landlines.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 07:36:51 pm »
If not "fixed" soon, people will use other technology for voice calls, such as Skype or Facetime or the next new thing.

Already many have given up their landlines.
We get 'em on the cell phones here, too. Problem is the numbers are spoofed, so if you call back you can't even chew someone out. Makes it hard to track them down, too. The machine answers the landline 3X out of 4.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:39:56 pm »
We get 'em on the cell phones here, too. Problem is the numbers are spoofed, so if you call back you can't even chew someone out. Makes it hard to track them down, too. The machine answers the landline 3X out of 4.

There was someone talking about this on Houston Radio this morning.  Technology that would reject the spoofed numbers I believe.  That would be a good start.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:20 pm »
There was someone talking about this on Houston Radio this morning.  Technology that would reject the spoofed numbers I believe.  That would be a good start.
About half my cell calls are spoofed....wanting to sell me vehicle warranties and such (every vehicle in the fleet is at least old enough to vote).  Since I use the phone for business and so relatives can contact me in the case of an emergency, that crap is a royal pain.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 01:18:29 am »
I generally don't answer the telephone (landline).

You can't call me (yes, this means YOU).

If nomorobo doesn't cut the call, it generally goes to the answering machine (unless I recognize the number).

Spoofed calls "ring around" nomorobo (because they're not in the database), but again, after 4 rings, the answering machine picks up. Because they're robots, no message is left and the call ends.

A lot of times I don't even bother calling back those who do leave messages. That even includes friends. I'll respond to their msg with an email.

As you may have come to think, I DON'T want to talk to you on the phone.
That means EVERYBODY.

I have a cell phone -- an OLD flip phone -- but it's always turned OFF, closed, and put away.
Only there to call 911 if I'm on a trip and need it.