Author Topic: Ted Cruz breaks with President Trump on Mexico tariffs while Marco Rubio gets behind the president's  (Read 2265 times)

Online libertybele

Yes, Senator, we all realize that the tariffs are going to pinch our wallets.  That's a given, but if YOU can get the DEMS to help out with the crisis at the border; please, by all means, DO IT!!  We all realize it is beyond time for the DEMS to help, but so far, nothing has motivated the radical leftists, Pelosi and Schumer.  Unfortunately, you voiced your opinion to Trump long ago, to push for immigration reform and the wall, when he had the majority, and he failed to do so.  Here we sit.  If you can get them to budge, get it done!

Ted Cruz breaks with President Trump on Mexico tariffs while Marco Rubio gets behind the president's plan

...........Notably, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) — a consistent ally of the president's immigration agenda in the upper chamber — has come out vocally against the idea of pressuring Mexico through tariffs, citing the effect that it could have on his home state's economy.

"There is no doubt we have an emergency at the border, which is exacerbated and perpetuated by congressional Democrats who refuse to close loopholes in our law that are resulting in a massive influx of illegal immigration," a Cruz spokesperson told Blaze Media in a statement. "The answer, however, is not imposing tariffs against Mexico."

The statement explained that a "25 percent tariff on Mexico would impose nearly $30 billion of new taxes on Texans. That doesn't make any sense."

Rather, Cruz's office said, "It's time for congressional Democrats to work with Republicans and President Trump to do something about the serious humanitarian crisis we're seeing in Texas and other border states because of unchecked illegal immigration.".........

https://www.theblaze.com/cruz-breaks-with-trump-on-mexico-tariffs
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jpsb

Lyin Ted siding with the drug cartels, figures.

Online libertybele

Please...get real here.  He's not siding with the drug cartels, he's disagreeing with the tariffs because of the negative impact that they will have, especially on the TX economy, which is one of the largest economies in the world. IMHO, IF he has a better solution and IF he thinks he can motivate the DEMS in Congress, he truly needs to step up to the plate and get it done.

Senator Cruz is in no way implying he is siding with the drug cartels.  What he is acknowledging is that the DEMS in Congress need to come together with the GOP and this President and secure the border.

President Trump has the full authority as Commander in Chief to protect this country from this invasion and so far he has failed to do so.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
He sure looks like he is with the cartels....

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:16:48 pm by EdJames »

Offline skeeter

Disappointed. The tariffs will cost consumers money but illegal immigration costs taxpayers billions.

Offline Night Hides Not

You left out the sarcasm tag.

Anyone using the term "Lyin' Ted" is applying a variant of Godwin's Law, demonstrating their intellectual laziness during a discussion of politics.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online libertybele

Disappointed. The tariffs will cost consumers money but illegal immigration costs taxpayers billions.

Yes, that is definitely true; provided that the tariffs indeed motivate Mexico.  IF they don't then we will be hit with paying through the nose in both scenarios.  I think that should be a concern as well and perhaps what people aren't taking into consideration.  I believe Trump is taking a roll of the dice with both Mexico and China.  IF the tariffs work, the end results could be very beneficial. If they don't work, he will not only have sunk our country economically, but we will have paid dearly with our sovereignty as well.

Offline jpsb

Please...get real here.  He's not siding with the drug cartels.

Yes he is, President Trump is trying to force Mexico to secure it's border with the US. Cruz is opposing
our president on that. Cruz is effectively siding with the drug cartels that want to keep the border open.
I hope lyin Ted has a primary opponent in 24, I don't want to have to vote for him again. I want him out
of the Senate.

Online libertybele

Yes he is, President Trump is trying to force Mexico to secure it's border with the US. Cruz is opposing
our president on that. Cruz is effectively siding with the drug cartels that want to keep the border open.
I hope lyin Ted has a primary opponent in 24, I don't want to have to vote for him again. I want him out
of the Senate.

???? You don't make a whole lot of sense other than your hatred for Cruz shining through.  The President HAS the authority and the ability to shutdown the border.  He threatened to do so and didn't.  He also threatened Mexico before and then retracted by giving them another year to get it together.  He failed to listen to Cruz when Cruz was calling for action on illegal immigration and the wall when the GOP had a full majority and Trump failed to do anything; in fact he waited till just days before the midterms to call for action and of course we all know how that turned out.  The fact is more illegals have crossed our borders under Trump than in the 8 years under Bammy!!  So...yes ... get real.  Realize that there is no guarantee that the tariffs will motivate Mexico.  Then we're going to be hurting even more economically.

Senator Cruz is no longer running for President.  He was recently re-elected by his constituents in  TX and his duty and obligations are to those in the great state of Texas.  Texas has one of the largest economies in the world and they hurt, we're all going to be hurting.

Trump is president, his duty is to this country and to protect it against ALL enemies, both foreign and domestic and on that he is failing, BIGLY!  I get that he's using his last playing card, but he put himself and this country into that position by not acting much, much sooner.

Online roamer_1

Finally! Something Conservative falls out of Cruz's mouth. These moments are rare anymore.

Offline Hoodat

Ted Cruz opposes raising taxes on American consumers.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
of the Senate.

Yeah, go ahead and support your "less conservative" orange leader.  Your post reeks of Freep.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

Ted Cruz opposes raising taxes on American consumers.

The President finds himself in a no win situation for several reasons; HIS FAILURE to act when he had a GOP majority and the DEM Congress' FAILURE to help him.  Trump's FAILURE to shutdown and secure the border with our military, I question.  Yes, it would have interrupted trade for awhile, but Mexico would have also felt the impact.  Now, we have an unprecedented number coming continuing to come in, and now dealing with tariffs and perhaps they may work and if they don't, we suffer more. Go figure.

Offline Hoodat

Yes he is, President Trump is trying to force Mexico to secure it's border with the US.

It's not Mexico's job to secure our border.  It's  our job.  WE are the ones providing the incentives for people to illegally enter.  And Mexico can't change that.

Cruz is effectively siding with the drug cartels that want to keep the border open.

That is BS and you know it.  Ted was for securing the border long before Trump came on the scene.  He just knows that raising taxes on American consumers will do absolutely nothing to stop illegal immigration.  Perhaps if the Trump Administration stop rewarding illegals by releasing them free into US Society, then maybe the next round would think twice before coming here.

of the Senate.

I hope that you someday develop enough integrity to drop the 'lying Ted' bit.  For three years you have been using it, knowing full well of your inability to cite any lie that Cruz told.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idiot

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's not Mexico's job to secure our border.  It's  our job.  WE are the ones providing the incentives for people to illegally enter.  And Mexico can't change that.

That is BS and you know it.  Ted was for securing the border long before Trump came on the scene.  He just knows that raising taxes on American consumers will do absolutely nothing to stop illegal immigration.  Perhaps if the Trump Administration stop rewarding illegals by releasing them free into US Society, then maybe the next round would think twice before coming here.

I hope that you someday develop enough integrity to drop the 'lying Ted' bit.  For three years you have been using it, knowing full well of your inability to cite any lie that Cruz told.

goopo

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Follow the money and that's what it's about and that's not being critical. Some Texans would say impose the tariffs, others will say no.

Billions must go through the border crossings a year.

Remember when about 6 weeks ago, Trump threatened to close the border? This has a lot of the same factors at play.  More tariffs, money is to be lost. I know right there on the border, goods are made, often the materials go to the factories from the US, they make the product and then, they come into the US.

Bottom line and simply said, a lot of money is at stake and that would be the major driving factor imo:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:05:13 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

I wouldn't criticize Cruz on this but should these tariffs not be imposed, in the end, it ends up all doing nothing on the border again.

Perhaps it is correct, not wanting to hurt commerce in this way. It's a judgement call.

Again, a fair part of the constituency will want those tariffs.

Offline conservativevoter

I can't see the tariffs hurting anyone but those in the business of selling their tainted produce, foreign made baked goods(!) and auto parts.  I would rather do without the much ballyhooed avocados, strawberries, and other produce brought across the border just to gild the larders of those who have money to burn! 

Exactly WHY is it that we have OREO COOKIES made in Mexico?  Candy products?  Car parts?  Could it be that there are those who feel that cheap is best?  (Yeah, Koch....YOU are right up there!) 

Do your choosing before buying.  I can still find shoes and clothing made in our country.  I bake my own or buy local.

KMA, Mexico!   :tongue2:

Offline TomSea

April 2019:
Breaking! Ted Cruz comes out AGAINST Trump closing trade at the border [FULL statement]
https://therightscoop.com/breaking-ted-cruz-comes-out-against-trump-closing-trade-at-the-border-full-statement/

Sorry, the same voices that would have Trump make dictatorial decisions on border security, make excuses for Cruz.

1. El Chapo bill still in congress after over a year.

2. Against border closing.

3. Against additional tariffs against Mexico.

They like to tell us how Cruz would have "solved" the border problem but his conduct doesn't reflect that.

Also, despite one poster butting into conversations that aren't even related to the border and telling us how Trump should be doing this or that on the border, now we have excuses.

I don't understand all about the legislation but Gohmert,  Tom Cotton and other border hawks are not coming out with the tired excuse we always hear, "Trump's not doing anything at the border". I'm sure some of these congress persons are aware of what to do on the border and they are not critical of Trump on this issue.

The President finds himself in a no win situation for several reasons; HIS FAILURE to act when he had a GOP majority and the DEM Congress' FAILURE to help him.  Trump's FAILURE to shutdown and secure the border with our military, I question.  Yes, it would have interrupted trade for awhile, but Mexico would have also felt the impact.  Now, we have an unprecedented number coming continuing to come in, and now dealing with tariffs and perhaps they may work and if they don't, we suffer more. Go figure.

Well, it's Cruz's FAILURE as well because he came out against shutting the border down.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:28:00 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

I can't see the tariffs hurting anyone but those in the business of selling their tainted produce, foreign made baked goods(!) and auto parts.  I would rather do without the much ballyhooed avocados, strawberries, and other produce brought across the border just to gild the larders of those who have money to burn! 

Exactly WHY is it that we have OREO COOKIES made in Mexico?  Candy products?  Car parts?  Could it be that there are those who feel that cheap is best?  (Yeah, Koch....YOU are right up there!) 

Do your choosing before buying.  I can still find shoes and clothing made in our country.  I bake my own or buy local.

KMA, Mexico!   :tongue2:

Well said.

And I'd think the Maquiladoras/twin plant factories should have an exemption over the transit of goods.

Aside from avocados, bimbo bakery products, probably fruit comes up from Central America.

It's just imposing a tariff, it's not saying these goods can not come into the country. The Mexican officials in part are probably even pretty corrupt in this regard.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The BEST outcome:

All Republicans back the President's threat of tarrifs, IF Mexico fails to restrict illegal immigrants using their country, to reach the US.

Mexico complies, tarrifs not enacted, illegal immigration curbed.

WIN/WIN.

Therefore Cruz should support the President's strategy.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

April 2019:
Sorry, the same voices that would have Trump make dictatorial decisions on border security, make excuses for Cruz.

1. El Chapo bill still in congress after over a year.

2. Against border closing.

3. Against additional tariffs against Mexico.

They like to tell us how Cruz would have "solved" the border problem but his conduct doesn't reflect that.

Also, despite one poster butting into conversations that aren't even related to the border and telling us how Trump should be doing this or that on the border, now we have excuses.

I don't understand all about the legislation but Gohmert,  Tom Cotton and other border hawks are not coming out with the tired excuse we always hear, "Trump's not doing anything at the border". I'm sure some of these congress persons are aware of what to do on the border and they are not critical of Trump on this issue.

Well, it's Cruz's FAILURE as well because he came out against shutting the border down.

The President has the ultimate authority, a senator does NOT.  Yes, I have given my OPINION several times as to what I think Trump should be doing and at my disappointment for his failure at the border. OPINIONS, interestingly are given in a forum such as this, perhaps you haven't noticed? Yes, Cruz gave his opinion to a shutdown which would impact TX...again, his job is to do what is best for his constituents. 

If you are implying that Trump is listening to Cruz and that's why he didn't shut down the border you're full of it.  If he had listened to Cruz when Cruz stated that the issue of the border wall and illegal immigration needed to be addressed back when the GOP held the majority, perhaps this crisis at the border would have been curtailed.

Next!

Offline TomSea

The President has the ultimate authority, a senator does NOT.  Yes, I have given my OPINION several times as to what I think Trump should be doing and at my disappointment for his failure at the border. OPINIONS, interestingly are given in a forum such as this, perhaps you haven't noticed? Yes, Cruz gave his opinion to a shutdown which would impact TX...again, his job is to do what is best for his constituents. 

If you are implying that Trump is listening to Cruz and that's why he didn't shut down the border you're full of it.  If he had listened to Cruz when Cruz stated that the issue of the border wall and illegal immigration needed to be addressed back when the GOP held the majority, perhaps this crisis at the border would have been curtailed.

Next!

Oh, excuse me but the President does not write and pass bills, he signs them. So more excuse making. Representatives and Senators do that.

You are just saying Trump should act like a dictator in getting the wall built. As it is, he has sent troops down there. It's more like your routine attacks do not stand up to scrutiny because nobody in the Senate or House say what you do including Cruz.

Trump may have some responsibility but so do GOP representatives and senators.

Online libertybele

Oh, excuse me but the President does not write and pass bills, he signs them. So more excuse making. Representatives and Senators do that.

You are just saying Trump should act like a dictator in getting the wall built. As it is, he has sent troops down there. It's more like your routine attacks do not stand up to scrutiny because nobody in the Senate or House say what you do including Cruz.

Trump may have some responsibility but so do GOP representatives and senators.

Never did I mention that the President has the authority to create bills.  Never.  What I did say is as commander in Chief Trump has the authority and it IS his job to secure this country and protect its citizens.

Definitely not making excuses, especially since I indicated that rather than Cruz criticize, he should come up with a solution. But, I also believe he has every right and an obligation to his constituents in TX.  Trump isn't going to listen to Cruz anyways.  Never has.