Author Topic: Is Germany Becoming Germany — Again? By Victor Davis Hanson  (Read 863 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Is Germany Becoming Germany — Again?
Merkel’s evident anti-Americanism is a familiar refrain.
National Review, Jun 4, 2019, Victor Davis Hanson   

The more things change, well, the more they . . . So it is with the perpetual German resentments of the U.S.

Recently German chancellor Angela Merkel reminded us of that German fixation, when she made some astounding statements to the German media that revealed what many Americans had long ago surmised.

Merkel all but announced that Germany, or for that matter Europe itself, is no longer really an ally of the United States: “There is no doubt that Europe needs to reposition itself in a changed world. . . . The old certainties of the post-war order no longer apply.”

She insisted that Germany views the democratic United States as not much different from autocratic Russia and Communist China: Urging Europe to present a united front in the face of Russia, China, and the U.S., she said, “They are forcing us, time and again, to find common positions.” And Merkel concluded that therefore Germany must find “political power” commensurate with its economic clout to forge a new independent European path.

[...]

But Merkel was not through with her potshots. More recently, when she visited Harvard University to deliver a commencement address, she won loud applause from the young grads in the audience for systematically damning American president Donald Trump — she made thinly veiled references to the president as an abject liar and to his policies as ignorant.

What might have been the political equivalent to this bizarre example of a German chancellor pandering to a hard-left American audience as she attacked a sitting conservative U.S. president in his own country?

Read more:  https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/angela-merkel-germany-anti-american-views/?amp

Offline Rivergirl

Re: Is Germany Becoming Germany — Again? By Victor Davis Hanson
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:56:45 am »
With the president encouraging Japan to purchase more military weapons from the US to avoid tariffs I would say we have much to worry about.  Obama wanted Japan to have more offensive weapons and we are now on that same path with Japan.
G-d help us if history repeats itself.   I, personally, was never a fan of Trump's demand that the NATO nations spend more money on weaponry.   The unintended consequences are as yet, unknown.
We had our bases in Germany for good reason.  Now most are closed.   

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:49:11 pm »
   Is Germany Becoming Germany — Again?
By Victor Davis Hanson

June 4, 2019 6:30 AM

Merkel’s evident anti-Americanism is a familiar refrain.

The more things change, well, the more they . . . So it is with the perpetual German resentments of the U.S.

Recently German chancellor Angela Merkel reminded us of that German fixation, when she made some astounding statements to the German media that revealed what many Americans had long ago surmised.

Merkel all but announced that Germany, or for that matter Europe itself, is no longer really an ally of the United States: “There is no doubt that Europe needs to reposition itself in a changed world. . . . The old certainties of the post-war order no longer apply.”

She insisted that Germany views the democratic United States as not much different from autocratic Russia and Communist China: Urging Europe to present a united front in the face of Russia, China, and the U.S., she said, “They are forcing us, time and again, to find common positions.” And Merkel concluded that therefore Germany must find “political power” commensurate with its economic clout to forge a new independent European path.

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/angela-merkel-germany-anti-american-views/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:02:45 pm »
Once all the Germans were warlike and mean,
But that couldn't happen again.
We taught them a lesson in 1918
And they've hardly bothered us since then.

-Tom Lehrer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:06:00 pm »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:09:37 pm »
Look for the left in Germany to rehabilitate the nation's glorious Nazi past just as soon as they see a political advantage in it.

They're no different than our own home growth garbage leftists.

Online rustynail

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 02:33:37 pm »
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 05:03:29 pm »
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer.

I dunno.  I think what's happening with Merkel and her ilk is much different.  And I think there's a hint of that in the lack of children.

I don't believe she's motivated by any feelings of racial/ethnic superiority.  No need to breed to extend her dominion.  She's got that transnational, smug self-righteousness that comes from the left.  She identifies not with her ethnicity, but with her technocratic/bureaucratic peers in Germany and elsewhere.  They're better than us because they're smarter and more moral, and the rest of us have to do what they say because they know what's best for us.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that's any less harmful than what motivated Hitler.  I'm just not sure it's a particularly German phenomenon.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:26 am »
The Germans HAD BETTER GET some of "that old German" back into themselves, or they're going to be overwhelmed by the muslims there in due time.

What is the birth rate for ethnic Duetschlanders, vis-a-vis that for the muslims there today?

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 04:37:37 am »
Hansen, as a ranking historian, should know better than yapping like a dopey school kid.
Murky is no more a leader than Frankie the Pope or Missy May are.
Germany has been a unified nation/state for 150 years, less years than we are.
Does Hansen mean the Germany of Von Bismarck, Beethoven and Einstein or what???

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 04:38:08 am »
Merkel is on her way OUT!  So, I do not think many care what she thinks these days.

And Trump's demanding that European nations contribute their share to the defense of Europe, a dollar amount they agreed to contribute but have gotten away with not doing, is right on the money.  Germany, the wealthiest nation in Europe has renegged on making thweiwr contribution.  Inexcusable!

I think Trump should go further and demand those nations not contributing their share must pay double for the following year.

Finally, the USA has a president that represents the USA and makes our so called allies carry their weight.  Bravo!

Online rustynail

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 10:35:10 am »
I dunno.  I think what's happening with Merkel and her ilk is much different.  And I think there's a hint of that in the lack of children.

I don't believe she's motivated by any feelings of racial/ethnic superiority.  No need to breed to extend her dominion.  She's got that transnational, smug self-righteousness that comes from the left.  She identifies not with her ethnicity, but with her technocratic/bureaucratic peers in Germany and elsewhere.  They're better than us because they're smarter and more moral, and the rest of us have to do what they say because they know what's best for us.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that's any less harmful than what motivated Hitler.  I'm just not sure it's a particularly German phenomenon.
Yes.  Well said.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:54 am »

@Maj. Bill Martin

What you wrote is true,but totalitarianism wearing a different dress is still  totalitarianism. Same critter,same goals,different dress.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 01:35:46 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

What you wrote is true,but totalitarianism wearing a different dress is still  totalitarianism. Same critter,same goals,different dress.

Oh, absolutely.  It is just as dangerous, if not even more so because that kind of elitist totalitarianism is not restricted to a single country the way totalitarianism based on ethnicity is.  I was pointing that out only because some people would try to argue Hanson was wrong by saying "Merkel clearly isn't an ethnic supremacist because she wouldn't have welcomed all those refugees if she was." 

I think VDH was wrong in implying there is some sort of ethnic component to what Merkel is doing, and it's too bad because it gives them an easy out.  The truth is that they are totalitarians -- just not ones motivated by ethnic superiority.

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:44:23 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 02:34:28 pm »
  The truth is that they are totalitarians -- just not ones motivated by ethnic superiority.

@sneakypete

"Us versus THEM" is in MY mind many times as dangerous as ethnic elitism. At least with ethnic elitism you know going in that if you kill off "x-number" of the enemy you will win.

When it is "US versus THEM",being one of the "US" is EVERYTHING because everyone else is expendable.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 04:45:44 pm »
"Us versus THEM" is in MY mind many times as dangerous as ethnic elitism. At least with ethnic elitism you know going in that if you kill off "x-number" of the enemy you will win.

When it is "US versus THEM",being one of the "US" is EVERYTHING because everyone else is expendable.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum are the calls for "unity".  That's the tool that both the Nazis and the Communists use to silence opposition, particularly within the press, but also in terms of groups of citizens speaking out.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 06:53:35 pm »
And on the opposite end of the spectrum are the calls for "unity".  That's the tool that both the Nazis and the Communists use to silence opposition, particularly within the press, but also in terms of groups of citizens speaking out.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Yup! Primarily because THE core belief of the left,regardless of if you are talking about Nazi's,communists,or some other form of collective creature,is WINNING. There is no lie they won't tell or anything they won't do in order to win so they can establish their police state.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 07:04:49 pm »
Is that what we want.   European countries to spend more on their military?
What could go wrong with that?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Yup! Primarily because THE core belief of the left,regardless of if you are talking about Nazi's,communists,or some other form of collective creature,is WINNING. There is no lie they won't tell or anything they won't do in order to win so they can establish their police state.

That's why I kind of laugh when Biden talks about bringing "unity."  Really, Joe?  If you and your ilk valued unity all that much, you would have rallied behind Trump.  So why didn't you?

Unity to them means "everyone rallying behind us and our agenda".  Otherwise...not so much.

When Bush (for all his policy flaws) was President, their motto was "Dissent is Patriotic".  When Obama became President, their motto basically was "Dissent is Racist".  Now they're back to "Dissent being Patriotic", although now it's not just dissent, but Resistance.

Screw them.  They only want to respect the office and unify if they're in charge.  Otherwise, it's try to destroy the non-Democrat in office.

@sneakypete