General Category > World News

D-Day Remembrance Thread

(1/6) > >>

TomSea:

--- Quote ---The Latest: US Army Rangers recreate D-Day cliff assault
ABC News

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of D-Day, President Donald Trump has read a prayer that President Franklin Roosevelt delivered in a radio address June 6, 1944.

Roosevelt gave the prayer as U.S. and allied forces were crossing the English Channel to land on the beaches of Normandy, France. Trump read from the prayer on the stage before veterans and world leaders, including Queen Elizabeth II, gathered to commemorate the anniversary in Portsmouth, England.

Reading from the prayer, Trump said: "Almighty God, our sons, pride of our nation, this day, have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our republic, our religion and our civilization and to set free a suffering humanity."

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/latest-us-army-rangers-recreate-day-cliff-assault-63496727
--- End quote ---

Same story posted here: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,363720.75.html

So, I gather, Trump is in Portsmouth and will later on go to Normandy beach, France itself in a short time. Portsmouth I believe is on the Southern tip of England. Thus, must be his itenerary.

sneakypete:
I am sure I knew others who climbed those cliffs that day,but the one that always comes to mind is George Odom from Georgia,who joined the army when he was 14 or 15,and by 1944 was an Army Ranger climbing the cliffs at Normandy.  He fought all the way through WW-2 and the Korean War as a Ranger,and by the time I met him in 1964 he was a SF Sergeant Major E-9.

He lived to put in his 30 years,and retired. I heard he died several years ago of old age problems.

I also remember a kid from Kentucky named Shaunessy (spelling) who came to us to heal after being wounded and earning a Bronze Star and Purple Heart while running recon missions with the 173rd Abn Brigade in VN. He looked so young he had to wear his uniform downtown at night or nobody would sell him a drink and none of the bar girls would have anything to do with him.

His downfall was the US Army PIO units with their "hometown hero's" news reports to the hometown newspapers of wounded soldiers. Human interest stuff to link the people at home emotionally with the soldiers in battles. That set bells ringing in people's heads when it was published,and people started asking questions about how the former classmate of their 14 and 15 year old children was in the army in VN fighting battles.

Come to find out his parents were dead and he was raised by his grandmother,who really didn't know much about the modern world,and he took advantage of her ignorance to get her to sign a waiver so he could enlist at 17. The trouble was he was 14 when he enlisted and was only 15 when he was wounded and sent to Okinawa to heal up before being transferred back to VN.

Needless to say,it wasn't long before he was out of the army and on an airplane back to Kentucky. I have often wondered if he went back in the army once he was old enough,or if there was some sort of ban on him to keep him from enlisting. One thing he did seem sure of is he did NOT want to live and work in Kentucky.

rustynail:
US Army Rangers recreate D-Day cliff assault:  This time with transgenders a 5' overweight females.

TomSea:

--- Quote ---D-Day: May and Macron in France to mark 75th anniversary

PM Theresa May will join Emmanuel Macron in northern France for a second day of events marking the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

Mrs May and the French president will attend an inauguration ceremony for a memorial to honour the British troops who died in the Battle of Normandy.

The prime minister will then attend a cathedral service in Bayeux, alongside veterans and the Prince of Wales.

D-Day was the start of the liberation of Nazi-occupied western Europe.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48536906?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story
--- End quote ---

Gefn:
Today  is the 75th anniversary of D Day and Normandy.

To those veterans who are still with us, thank you for your service and for our freedom. Bless you.

For those who died on that day, you will never be forgotten.

:patriot: :patriot:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version