Author Topic: Republicans threaten revolt, may block Trump's Mexico tariffs  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Republicans threaten revolt, may block Trump's Mexico tariffs
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:50 pm »
I hope your keyboard freezes.
I'm glad your keyboard is so reliable.  I enjoy your ongoing propaganda.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 04:03:14 pm »
I'm glad your keyboard is so reliable.  I enjoy your ongoing propaganda.

If you meant @Right_in_Virginia  adding balance to the unending stream of NeverTrump fake news here, then yeah, I agree. Her keyboard is golden. May it never stop working to inform us with the truth.

Online corbe

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 04:22:00 pm »
   I (usually) welcome the musing of @Right_in_Virginia and the few other hard core Trumpers here for as many, or few, of them as there actually are here there is an equally amount of vocal people that will dislike Trump, no matter what he does. 
   The beauty of this place is in the balance of the collective, not the fanaticism of certain individuals.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 04:29:23 pm »
Good to see Rebublicans oppose Democrat trade policies.

That's right.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »
Mexico is not responsible for protecting our border, especially when we are attracting illegals with tens of billions of dollars of free stuff.  Maybe Trump should concentrate on cutting off the 'free stuff' magnet and stop releasing captured illegals back into US society (all of which Trump has the power to do) instead of raising taxes on American consumers.

I'd be interested to know how Trump 'has the power' to end catch & release for asylum seekers or reform welfare without the cooperation of congress.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 05:04:41 pm »
I'd be interested to know how Trump 'has the power' to end catch & release for asylum seekers or reform welfare without the cooperation of congress.

He has suspended or re-instated catch and release a number of times, since he’s been in office, despite the Feb 2018 SCOTUS ruling in Jennings v Rodriguez. That case determined illegals could be held indefinitely, without repeated bond hearings.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:01 pm »

He has suspended or re-instated catch and release a number of times, since he’s been in office, despite the Feb 2018 SCOTUS ruling in Jennings v Rodriguez. That case determined illegals could be held indefinitely, without repeated bond hearings.

Does this apply to those who claim asylum?

Offline edpc

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 05:46:59 pm »
Does this apply to those who claim asylum?

The asylum seekers were part of the arguments.

http://www.benachcollopy.com/2017/10/argument-recap-from-the-supreme-court-jennings-v-rodriguez-the-mandatory-detention-case/

The fact is, the admin has changed its position on catch and release, repeatedly. So - yes - the president can alter the practice, without congressional approval. It’s one of the reasons the last spending bill restricted the number of beds for detainees. Democrats are hoping the system gets the Cloward-Piven treatment.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2019, 06:14:42 pm »

The asylum seekers were part of the arguments.

http://www.benachcollopy.com/2017/10/argument-recap-from-the-supreme-court-jennings-v-rodriguez-the-mandatory-detention-case/

The fact is, the admin has changed its position on catch and release, repeatedly. So - yes - the president can alter the practice, without congressional approval. It’s one of the reasons the last spending bill restricted the number of beds for detainees. Democrats are hoping the system gets the Cloward-Piven treatment.
So we can detain em but have no place to put em.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 06:17:16 pm »
Mark Levin was talking about this, if it's tariffs against China, they have been taking advantage. I think he expressed his approval on this but it is somewhat dicey.  It can easily hurt business on the border, a lot of commerce. That's what some people are skeptical about.

Offline edpc

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 06:33:53 pm »

Kind of makes you wonder why someone would sign a bill like that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »

Kind of makes you wonder why someone would sign a bill like that.

He flinched.  And he shouldn't have.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2019, 06:43:27 pm »
If you meant @Right_in_Virginia  adding balance to the unending stream of NeverTrump fake news here, then yeah, I agree. Her keyboard is golden. May it never stop working to inform us with the truth.

Thank you kindly, sir.  @aligncare    :beer:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2019, 07:27:52 pm »
So help me out here. Why are tariffs okay when a Republican president does them, but not okay when a Democrat President does them?

He hasn't done them, and threatening publicly to pass a bill reversing any tariffs he imposes is undercutting the only negotiating leverage Trump has with Mexico.

Mexico is not responsible for protecting our border, especially when we are attracting illegals with tens of billions of dollars of free stuff.  Maybe Trump should concentrate on cutting off the 'free stuff' magnet and stop releasing captured illegals back into US society (all of which Trump has the power to do) instead of raising taxes on American consumers.

Mexico is actively aiding and abetting migrants from Central America who want to pass through Mexico and enter the U.S..   They used to police their own southern border much more heavily, but have deliberately slacked off and decided to just funnel them north.  So I'm personally supportive of the President trying to apply whatever pressure he can to induce Mexico to stop doing that.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 08:07:49 pm »
He hasn't done them, and threatening publicly to pass a bill reversing any tariffs he imposes is undercutting the only negotiating leverage Trump has with Mexico.
Exactly right. And they damn well know it.

Now, why would someone calling themselves ‘Republican’ do this to a Republican president?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 08:15:24 pm »

Now, why would someone calling themselves ‘Republican’ do this to a Republican president?

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 08:17:38 pm »

Probably because they have businesses, constituents, and (most importantly) donors within their districts and states, who have interests against the tariffs.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 08:19:22 pm »
He flinched.  And he shouldn't have.

Trump flinch?

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:45 pm »

Probably because they have businesses, constituents, and (most importantly) donors within their districts and states, who have interests against the tariffs.

And they get a $hitpot full of cash from the Chamber of Commerce.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 08:38:14 pm »

Ah, but the solution was to start placing these illegals in various different cities.  I know the Miami-Dade, FL area was one that they were considering until those in the state strongly and loudly said "no".  I have not heard anything as to a resolution other than border patrol isn't even detaining them, they are just letting them come in and thousands aren't even being screened for diseases.

It's not a matter of just being overwhelmed at the border but so overwhelmed that illegals aren't being vetted in any way. IMHO, this is far worse than what has happened over in Europe and in particular Germany and France.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 08:46:01 pm »

No doubt. It's up to the rest of us, the vast majority who bear the costs of illegal immigration which makes the windfall these big donors enjoy possible, to make it clear to them we are also their constituents.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:41 pm »
No doubt. It's up to the rest of us, the vast majority who bear the costs of illegal immigration which makes the windfall these big donors enjoy possible, to make it clear to them we are also their constituents.

IMHO, that ship sailed long ago.  This invasion has been going on for decades, and now we have an unprecedented number coming across with no end in sight. We're not talking about hundreds or thousands, but hundreds of thousands.  Unless Trump and administration, (including DEMS) are willing to shut down the border, declare a moratorium on all migration and finally build a barrier, the ILLEGALS are here to stay.  Many of them will be granted asylum, which means that they will be eligible to vote in 2024.  Game over.

"More than 100,000 people were apprehended crossing our southern border in each of March and April. Then, because of rampant abuse of our humanitarian asylum system and a lack of necessary detention space, many of those people are being released into the United States. Others are using children as de facto “get-out-of-jail-free cards” and, in the process, endangering the lives of those children." ....

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigration/446772-house-democrats-prioritize-illegal-aliens-as-border-crisis-rages

Online corbe

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 09:17:18 pm »

Facts don't lie, 4 years ago on June 16th Trump took an escalator ride and immediately said the Mexicans were sending their worst here (rapist and murderers), fast forward to now and the Immigration problem is 10X worse.  Of course, the fault always lies with someone else, the GOP (his own party), or the dems or the Judicial Activist on the Courts, the bureaucracy whatever.
   I don't expect things to change.  We are about to be bombarded again for the 2020 election with Immigration bravado by people that have no intention of fixing the problem, these whores:

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 09:28:10 pm »

Atlanta Federal Penitentiary is vacant.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
I'd be interested to know how Trump 'has the power' to end catch & release for asylum seekers

It's called 'Catch and Not Release'.

. . . or reform welfare without the cooperation of congress.

It is already a violation of federal law to give federal student aid, health care, food stamps, AFDC, etc., to illigals.  Any State caught doing so should have all federal funding cut off.  This is well within the power of the Executive Branch of government.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-