Author Topic: School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly  (Read 944 times)

Online mountaineer

School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:16 pm »
School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly
By Karol Markowicz
June 2, 2019
New York Post
As the school year meanders to a close, now is a good time for education departments across the land to make policy changes for the next year. One urgent step should be ending the insane lockdown drills our kids have to practice in their schools and tightening school security instead.

In New York City, the Department of Education implemented General Response Protocols that mandate that all public schools have four lockdown drills, in addition to fire drills, per year.

These “soft-lockdown” drills, ostensibly to prepare kids for a potential school shooter, require kids to hide in their classroom, sometimes in a closet, and remain quiet and out of view.

It would be one thing to prepare teachers and school staff for this kind of rare emergency. But having children hide in a closet and practice being quiet is at best a waste of time and at worst a way to emotionally scar the children we’re trying to shield. Holding these drills four times per year is ludicrous. ...

Then there’s the question of why we subject the kids to these drills at all. Despite the wall-to-wall hysteria over school shootings, it is extremely unlikely for any student to experience such an event. ...
Read full article at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Re: School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 09:02:52 pm »
I don't know.  I went through air raid drills at school when I was a kid.  At the time, the Soviet nuclear threat was very real.  Of course, some drill tactics, like hiding under the desk, would not have prevented carnage in the event of a nuclear strike, but at least we were being prepared.  And I don't remember being traumatized in any way by the drills. 

Parents are raising their kids to be snowflakes.  These are dangerous times.  I think the kids have to be prepared for everything.  Does them no good to be shielded from bad things like school shootings.  And perhaps these drills could save their lives.

And yes, there has to be armed security at the schools too.  No more of this "gun-free zone" crapola. 

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 09:15:45 pm »
I don't know.  I went through air raid drills at school when I was a kid.  At the time, the Soviet nuclear threat was very real.  Of course, some drill tactics, like hiding under the desk, would not have prevented carnage in the event of a nuclear strike, but at least we were being prepared.  And I don't remember being traumatized in any way by the drills. 

Parents are raising their kids to be snowflakes.  These are dangerous times.  I think the kids have to be prepared for everything.  Does them no good to be shielded from bad things like school shootings.  And perhaps these drills could save their lives.

And yes, there has to be armed security at the schools too.  No more of this "gun-free zone" crapola.

I agree with everything you said. I wasn't traumatized about the drills....even the fire drills.

So today...the threat is shooters. Sad, but true. Being prepared isn't a bad thing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:16:46 pm by berdie »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »
Not really. The whole point is to make them and their parents terrified of people with guns,and to vote for gun confiscation schemes.

I'd have to say it is a pretty effective program. It may take a full generation to take flower and bloom,but the seeds have been planted and it WILL bloom.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 10:34:46 pm »

Seems cheezy now, but when school was 25 air miles from DC, we took it seriously.
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Incidentally, ducking and covering wouldn't save anyone from a close hit, but when the shockwave rolled in, being low might keep you from being shredded by flying glass and debris. With medical care uncertain, not getting badly hurt was important!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 10:39:17 pm »
The purpose of these air raid drills was to make the public afraid of the Soviets. Even in the 3rd grade I knew crawling under my desk was a joke. We even used to joke the last step was to "bend over and kiss your ass goodbye".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 10:43:05 pm »
It was the best time to be alive.  Duck and cover dills were the best.  America is at its best when we have an enemy.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 10:56:03 pm »
da Ghost drifted by with:
"It was the best time to be alive.  Duck and cover dills were the best.  America is at its best when we have an enemy."

We still have one.
It's roughly 40% of our own population, and those who lead and influence that 40%.

They are often called "democrats", but they should also be called by the ideology that they now embrace:
democrat-communists.