Author Topic: Governor calls for special legislative session on gun-control in wake of Virginia Beach massacre  (Read 1585 times)

Offline thackney

Governor calls for special legislative session on gun-control in wake of Virginia Beach massacre
https://abcnews.go.com/US/governor-calls-special-legislative-session-gun-control-wake/story

Saying it's time for "votes and laws, not thoughts and prayers," Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam called for an emergency special session of the state legislature on Tuesday to take action on gun control in the wake of a mass shooting at a government building in Virginia Beach that left 12 people dead....

...The governor exercised his authorities under the state constitution to call the legislature into special session to tackle the issues, saying the state cannot afford to put off the challenge of protecting its citizens from gun violence....

...The recommendations he will make now, he said, will include banning assault weapons and ammunition magazines that can hold 10 rounds or more, requiring universal background checks and limiting purchases to one gun a month.

He said he would also like to see laws passed requiring people to report stolen guns within 24 hours, allowing law enforcement to seek court orders to keep guns away from people who are a clear danger to themselves and others; and permitting local governments to regulate guns in their own communities....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Thus continuing his rehabilitation from the yearbook fiasco. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am sure it will be a fruitful and productive special session.  I wish I had the fertilizer concession for that meeting.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
I would suggest Gov. Northam address his racist history before he tries to dismantle the 2nd Amendment.

I wish the Republicans in Richmond would frame the debate as such..."From blackface to gun laws that unfairly punish minorities and women...the Governor of Virginia's history of prejudice against people of color is well documented.

Put his sorry @ss on defense and make his administration...to include the LT Gov defend him.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline LegalAmerican

I am losing track........WAS that Cradock?  Disgruntled government worker, who 'resigned"? 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I am losing track........WAS that Cradock?  Disgruntled government worker, who 'resigned"?

DeWayne Craddock submitted a short and courteous resignation letter on Friday, telling a Virginia Beach official it had been a “pleasure” to work for the city.

Hours later, he fatally shot 12 people, almost all of whom were colleagues.

Offline roamer_1

[...] laws passed requiring people to report stolen guns within 24 hours,

LOLWHUT???

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have no trouble at all picturing him and his staff giving each other "high 5's" and shouting "it's about time!" in glee as they celebrate this school shooting and the deaths of those children as the excuse they need to try to push more gun control.

Or as their spiritual leader Joe Stalin used to say,"You have to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelet!"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

I have no trouble at all picturing him and his staff giving each other "high 5's" and shouting "it's about time!" in glee as they celebrate this school shooting and the deaths of those children as the excuse they need to try to push more gun control.

All the while oblivious to the bare fact that the gun-free zone they established is the very reason for the mass-slaughter.

It crackles with irony.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All the while oblivious to the bare fact that the gun-free zone they established is the very reason for the mass-slaughter.

It crackles with irony.

@roamer_1

Yes,it does.

Excellent point!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It crackles with irony.

In light of @sneakypete's theory of the pleasure taken by the grabbers at a tragedy, I'd have to say they aren't the least bit oblivious.  That innocents are murdered in a "gun-free zone" isn't a bug, it's a feature.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

In light of @sneakypete's theory of the pleasure taken by the grabbers at a tragedy, I'd have to say they aren't the least bit oblivious.  That innocents are murdered in a "gun-free zone" isn't a bug, it's a feature.

That could well be right.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190607/governor-northam-to-convene-special-session-on-gun-control-july-9th

Governor Northam to Convene Special Session on Gun Control July 9th!

Friday, June 7, 2019

Embattled Virginia Governor Ralph Northam has announced that he will convene a special session of the General Assembly on July 9 in order to push a wide-ranging package of radical and ineffective gun control proposals.

A June 7 press release from the Northam’s office made clear that the governor is seeking to enact the following severe firearms restrictions:

Criminalization of the private transfer of firearms;
    A ban on commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms;
    A ban on firearm suppressors;
    Firearms rationing (described by the governor’s office as “one-gun-a-month law,” as opposed to Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month law that was repealed in 2012);
    Procedures to confiscate firearms from otherwise law-abiding individuals without due process;
    Mandatory firearm storage requirements;
    Mandatory lost or stolen firearm reporting; and
    A weakened Virginia firearms preemption statute that would empower local governments to create a complicated patchwork of gun laws.

The wording of the press release suggested that this is not a complete list of the gun control measures the governor wants the General Assembly to consider.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

Well,and accurately, stated.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190607/governor-northam-to-convene-special-session-on-gun-control-july-9th

Governor Northam to Convene Special Session on Gun Control July 9th!

Friday, June 7, 2019

The wording of the press release suggested that this is not a complete list of the gun control measures the governor wants the General Assembly to consider.

@Elderberry

You can bet it's not. That would probably even end up being the safest bet you ever made in your life.  He has made some huge political blunders,especially the "blackface" brain fart where his excuses only made things worse,and he is going to keep throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks because he is desperate. He no doubt saw himself "THIS close...." to being a Dim nominee for President in the very near future,and now nobody in Dim politics wants to be seen standing near him in a crowd.

I have always suspected he is a closeted homo,but since he is a Dim and that might help him if things don't turn around soon,so he might even come out of the closet in a desperation move.

One thing is for certain,and that is unless he can pull off a miracle,he will be irrelevant after leaving the governor's office. No higher office to run for,and no influence to peddle. A living death for a career pol whose dreams  of one day being a VP or even a President were too big for his reality.

Since he is a career politician,he won't even have any friends to fall back on to help him out. Career politicians don't have friends. They have co-conspirators.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:15:04 pm by sneakypete »