Author Topic: How James Holzhauer’s astonishing ‘Jeopardy!’ run came to a dramatic end  (Read 964 times)

Offline corbe

How James Holzhauer’s astonishing ‘Jeopardy!’ run came to a dramatic end

Emily Yahr

5 hrs ago

In a twist that could rival a great television drama, “Jeopardy!” powerhouse James Holzhauer lost on the episode broadcast Monday — just as he was on the cusp of surpassing the 15-year-old earnings record of legendary champion Ken Jennings.

Holzhauer’s historic run, in which he averaged almost a jaw-dropping $77,000 per episode, came to an end after his 33rd game. Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, lost to University of Chicago librarian Emma Boettcher, who beat him by about $22,000 in the Final Jeopardy round with a question about Shakespearean literature.

“What a game! Oh, my God,” said host Alex Trebek, as a grinning Holzhauer gave Boettcher a high five. 

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/how-james-holzhauers-astonishing-jeopardy-run-came-to-a-dramatic-end/ar-AACkxxG?ocid=ientp

New Champ Emma Boettcher
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I watched that!  Holzhauer seemed off, and Emma was amazing.  Good for her, though I'm sad to see Holzhauer go.  He was fun to watch.

Offline corbe

The IRS also won big. All winnings on game shows are considered ordinary income, taxed up to 37% by the IRS. And most states have state income tax, too.

Even though Holzhauer is a resident of Nevada, the game show took place in California, which means he must pay taxes in that state, sports and betting website The Action Network reported. Combined, federal and California state taxes will put Holzhauer's net winnings at $1.29 million — a 47.6% cut, the site said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/jeopardy-champ-james-holzhauer-likely-owes-dollar12-million-in-taxes/ar-AACkRMH?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline berdie

I watched that!  Holzhauer seemed off, and Emma was amazing.  Good for her, though I'm sad to see Holzhauer go.  He was fun to watch.

He had an off game at the wrong time. I know he couldn't last forever but.....the teacher's tournament was like eating oat meal.

I'm happy for the lady...she copied him.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Would like to see him and Jennings go at it for a week.   Last man standing.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

He had an off game at the wrong time. I know he couldn't last forever but.....the teacher's tournament was like eating oat meal.

I'm happy for the lady...she copied him.
Holzhauer had a close game a few weeks ago but squeaked out of victory. Nothing is forever, but his reign was a lot of fun. He was amazing.

Offline goatprairie

I'd like to see Jennings take a header into a ten foot deep hole of pig sh*t. He's a jerk.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'd like to see Jennings take a header into a ten foot deep hole of pig sh*t. He's a jerk.

Yeah, he's a condescending little puke, who happens to be probably the best Trivia player in the world.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

I think they will do it for ratings. But I read an interview with Jennings that he said his reflexes weren't as good as they were some time ago. He may know the answer...but if he can't ring in time....too bad, so sad. (Kind of like when I play along.)

Offline goatprairie

Yeah, he's a condescending little puke, who happens to be probably the best Trivia player in the world.
He made snotty remark about Barron Trump in a tweet after the idiot Kathy Griffin posed with a Trump head that was cut off.
Going after Trump or other adults is one thing, Jennings went after an 11 year old kid.