Author Topic: Liver and Onions  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Liver and Onions
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:14:29 am »
Mexico in my Kitchen April 11, 2019 by mmartinez

This old-fashioned liver and onions recipe is made just like my mom used to, with the garlic and black pepper both being freshly ground in a molcajete. This dish is a favorite in our home!

Where can I eat Liver and Onions?

Here in the States, you can easily find the dish “Liver and Onions” on the menu of some diners. Similarly, in Mexico, you can find it in small eateries called “Fondas”, but most people make the liver at home.

In Mexico, not everyone cooks liver and onions the same way, and the seasonings used can vary from cook to cook. For example, some people add lime juice or bitter orange juice while cooking the liver. Nevertheless, the use of garlic, salt, and pepper for seasoning is pretty standard. Unlike some recipes in the US, flour is not used when cooking liver in Mexico.

How to make Liver and Onions

SERVES 2

INGREDIENTS:

1¼ lb. liver steaks (I like the steaks that are about 3/8ths of an inch thick)
    2 garlic cloves
    6 black peppercorn kernels
    1 large onion, sliced
    3 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
    Salt to taste

NOTES:

Using fresh garlic and peppercorns will render the perfect liver and onions taste. If you don’t have them on hand or do not own a mortar, use ½ tsp. of garlic powder and ¼ tsp. of ground black pepper.

Grind the garlic cloves and black peppercorn kernels in your mortar. Add 1 tablespoon of water after you grind them to form a paste. Spread this paste onto the liver steaks, and season with salt. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large skillet to medium heat, then add the onions and sauté very quickly for about 1-2 minutes. Set aside in a bowl.

Reduce the heat and add the liver steaks to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the liver steaks) until the bottom sides turn a little brown around the edges, then flip to cook on the other side for 3 more minutes.

Return the onions to the skillet and stir. Keep cooking until the onions are slightly browned. Serve promptly and enjoy! I love to add some serrano peppers to the skillets while cooking the onions too. But that is a personal preference.

COOK’S EXTRA NOTES:

When cooking liver, there are usually no leftovers (at least in my house!), but if you ever do have leftover liver and onions, you can store it in the fridge for later. While you certainly can reheat it, Liver and Onions even tastes good when cool, especially in a sandwich!

Besides all the benefits that eating liver has, it is also a good option for certain diets, like low carb diets, the keto diet, and diets for diabetics.

More: https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/liver-and-onions/

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Liver and Onions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:18:20 am »
I love liver and onions and make it all the time since my boys are grown and have left..they refused to even try it.

I love it over mashed potatoes as I make a little extra gravy with it. I too think it's actually better cold...sounds gross but it's not.

Now I am hungry for it..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:34 am »
I truly believe that people that don't like liver have based their dislike on haven eaten overcooked cafeteria liver. I love it too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:33:06 am »
I grew up with both father and mother, that forced me to eat stuff that I did not like. (English/Nordic-harsh, authoritarian, discipline, punishment) We were served things like liver and onions, brussel sprouts, etc.And forced to finish it all. English known for bad food.

I married a woman from parents that allowed children to eat what they wanted. (Italian, Italian, Italian). Italians known for good food.

I cannot remember eating liver and onions since childhood) My wife loves brussel sprouts, but knows better than to even ask me.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:00:36 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 12:41:32 am »
I love liver and onions and make it all the time since my boys are grown and have left..they refused to even try it.

I love it over mashed potatoes as I make a little extra gravy with it. I too think it's actually better cold...sounds gross but it's not.

I love it as well but these days the  Dr. forbids it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 12:50:25 am »
Being an Aspie, I ate about 10 foods growing up. Later, I learned to eat anything and I love liver.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:15:42 am »
Good God Almighty.
Liver is the best part of any animal.
Vitamins et al

In the old days, they would cut out the liver and and tongue. They were both considered to be the most precious parts.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:40:56 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:49:11 am »
Liver? Oh heck yeah!

And the first thing eaten on an animal taken in a hunt. I can't guess how many livers and hearts I have eaten fresh in hunting camp.

OK all you liver lovers, I've got one for you...
One of the things I miss most of all having gone kosher is pork liver on toast.

Boil up a pork liver, cut it into manageable chunks, wrap it in tin foil, and stuff it in the fridge.
Tomorrow morning, throw some toast in the toaster give it too much butter, and then, with a potato peeler, cut thin slices out of a chunk of that liver (discarding any that are primarily the blackened rind)...

The idea is to spread the pieces very thinly over the toast, for coverage, and give it too much salt.

Anyone brave enough to try it?
You won't be sorry. What a delicacy. Good for breakfast every morning.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:50:45 am by roamer_1 »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:20 am »
Liver? Oh heck yeah!

And the first thing eaten on an animal taken in a hunt. I can't guess how many livers and hearts I have eaten fresh in hunting camp.

Boil up a pork liver, cut it into manageable chunks, wrap it in tin foil, and stuff it in the fridge.
Tomorrow morning, throw some toast in the toaster give it too much butter, and then, with a potato peeler, cut thin slices out of a chunk of that liver (discarding any that are primarily the blackened rind)...

The idea is to spread the pieces very thinly over the toast, for coverage, and give it too much salt.

I have never seen pork liver. I guess I can get some from a meat market that butchers their own meat...I have one not to far that I buy fresh meat at...maybe I'll ask... :thud:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:20 am »
I have never seen pork liver. I guess I can get some from a meat market that butchers their own meat...I have one not to far that I buy fresh meat at...maybe I'll ask... :thud:

Yeah... you have to get it from a butcher or a slaughter house.
If you can, boil it up outside. It stinks up the house.
But you will not be sorry. It is by far my favorite liver product ever.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 02:01:52 am »
One of the few things I still hate with a passion.... YUCK... add in squash and you can stick a fork in me.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 02:44:31 am »
Liver? Oh heck yeah!

Yep!  Done that MANY times myself but there were also occasions when the liver never made it back to camp.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 02:55:43 am »

We agree on this!  One note though. It has to be calves liver, not cow.  Cow is more bitter.  I love it the same way.  Mashed taters , and even cold it is delicious.  I caramelize the onions well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:00:13 am by LegalAmerican »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 03:01:34 am »
Yep!  Done that MANY times myself but there were also occasions when the liver never made it back to camp.

YEP!
Except here in the mountains, you never make it back to camp after a kill. We call that proper camp 'the trucks'.

So 'made it back to camp' is kinda impossible, because camp (for tonight) is wherever you are.
Then you quarter the elk, and tomorrow morning haul a couple quarters down to the trucks, which are always at least a couple of ridges over. Spend the night at the trucks, and go get the other quarters the next day... and the hide the day after that. :shrug:

Think that's something, wait till you go for a bighorn or a mountain goat. A goat ain't hardly worth it sometimes, because you eat half of it trying to get it out...

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 03:06:16 am »
Being an Aspie, I ate about 10 foods growing up. Later, I learned to eat anything and I love liver.

What is an Aspie?   :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 03:50:16 am »
I guess enough garlic can make almost anything edible. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 03:59:56 am »
I guess enough garlic can make almost anything edible.

Almost anything.

Not liver.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 04:05:47 am »
Almost anything.

Not liver.

Yeah, probably right.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
Liver? Oh heck yeah!

@roamer_1

This is a delicacy. Used to eat it everyday in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverwurst
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 03:41:45 pm »
The parents of my good friends down the street from me took me out on their boat once. For lunch we had Limburger Cheese/Liverwurst  on rye sandwiches. First time for me. I admit it was excellent. They were from Czechoslovakia. Then came the reason for the invitation. They said that they would finance any business I wanted to go into. I didn't want to jeopardize our friendship. I naturally Hate Work! So I never took them up on their offer. 

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 06:57:24 pm »
In honor of this thread, I am actually having Fried Liver and Onions/w Mushrooms for dinner tonight.
On a big plate of wild brown rice. So let it be written. So let it be done!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 07:49:34 pm »
I truly believe that people that don't like liver have based their dislike on haven eaten overcooked cafeteria liver. I love it too.

Funny you mention that.

My mother's thought process while standing at the stove...let's get this over.  She only used the 'HIGH' setting.  Burned everything.

Don't mean it wasn't edible...just dried out and overcooked.

Few times a year she served liver and onions....LOL!

We had one of those old farm-type kitchen tables with the silverware drawer on one side.  My brothers and sister would pass their chewed liver to me under the table and I would slip it into the silverware drawer.

DISCLAIMER: The table drawer was never used...we had "custom kitchen and a colored TV"   :laugh:

When we did the dishes, one of us emptied out that drawer.  YECCCH!

Not until I bought it at Sholl's Cafeteria, back in the 70's did I appreciate the dish.

Wish my mother could have tasted it, too.   wink777
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »
Good God Almighty.
Liver is the best part of any animal.
Vitamins et al

In the old days, they would cut out the liver and and tongue. They were both considered to be the most precious parts.

In cattle mutilations by extraterrestrials it is found that the tongues and livers are always removed.

Must be a delicacy for their high holidays, too.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 08:00:06 pm »
@roamer_1

This is a delicacy. Used to eat it everyday in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverwurst

@240B

Aw man! Don't get me started with liverwurst!
a rather rich, heavy white bread, buttered, liverwurst, mustard. onion, and lettuce...

Absolutely one of my favorite things!
(not without, btw - you can get beef liverwurst)