Author Topic: It’s Time For The Supreme Court To Make States Stop Ignoring The Second Amendment  (Read 11971 times)

Bill Cipher

The incorporation doctrine is a constitutional doctrine through which the first ten amendments of the United States Constitution (known as the Bill of Rights) are made applicable to the states through the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Prior to the doctrine's (and the Fourteenth Amendment's) existence, the Bill of Rights applied only to the Federal Government and to federal court cases. States and state courts could choose to adopt similar laws, but were under no obligation to do so.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/incorporation_doctrine

Actually, the doctrine has only been applied selectively to incorporate only certain provisions against the states (Hugo Black favored a mechanical incorporation of all the provisions, but his view did not prevail), and it really only applies with full force to the first eight amendments; the ninth isn’t really an enumerated right, and so there isn’t much to incorporate, and it wouldn’t make any sense to incorporate the tenth, for the most part. 

And, most importantly, incorporation is applied under the doctrine of substantive due process, the same doctrine used to justify Roe v. Wade. 

Bill Cipher

In that case, you should be every bit as supportive the Right to Keep and Bear Arms as you are of Roe.   Are you?

I am.  I agree with most of the Court’s discussion in Heller and McDonald, and I think that the right exists as against the states as well as the federal government. 

I also think that it is subject to reasonable regulation, just like every other right enumerated in the Bill of Rights is subject. 

Now see, isn’t asking so much more fruitful, and less antagonistic, than assuming?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I am.  I agree with most of the Court’s discussion in Heller and McDonald, and I think that the right exists as against the states as well as the federal government. 

I also think that it is subject to reasonable regulation, just like every other right enumerated in the Bill of Rights is subject. 

Now see, isn’t asking so much more fruitful, and less antagonistic, than assuming?

I said "It appears to be your view..."  Not "It is your view."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

I said "It appears to be your view..."  Not "It is your view."

Ahhh.  Isn’t asking more fruitful, and less antagonistic, than appearing to make an ass out of u and me?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Which you painfully know nothing of.

Again...it's obvious I know way more about it than you do.  Otherwise you'd be displaying said knowledge of history instead of mocking those of us that are clearly more versed in American history than you are.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Ahhh.  Isn’t asking more fruitful, and less antagonistic, than appearing to make an ass out of u and me?

It's worth the risk.   wink777

(Yes, I agree, and am chagrined.  Seriously.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In that case, you should be every bit as supportive the Right to Keep and Bear Arms as you are of Roe.   Are you?

Yes.   Rights for me AND rights for thee.   What a concept! 

And each of the individual gun right and the choice right are subject to reasonable regulation.   And the SCOTUS is the ultimate arbiter when such regulation crosses the line into unreasonableness and the denial of the right.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Again...it's obvious I know way more about it than you do.  Otherwise you'd be displaying said knowledge of history instead of mocking those of us that are clearly more versed in American history than you are.

@Bill Cipher is displaying far more knowledge of history than you are.   Incorporation was indeed a doctrine that found its way into the Constitution only after the 14th amendment AND the SCOTUS's ruling regarding selective incorporation.    You've posited nothing that contradicts what BC has said.   

So how about it @txradioguy  - what is your objection to rights for both me and thee?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Bill Cipher

It’s obvious that you know nothing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Bill Cipher is displaying far more knowledge of history than you are.   Incorporation was indeed a doctrine that found its way into the Constitution only after the 14th amendment AND the SCOTUS's ruling regarding selective incorporation.    You've posited nothing that contradicts what BC has said.   

So how about it @txradioguy  - what is your objection to rights for both me and thee?
You are free to be aborted at any time.

I'll keep my guns, thanks.

The natural right to self defense has ever existed. That is what makes it unalienable.

No nation which has kept the practice of human sacrifice, whether it be on the altar of some 'god' or for mere convenience has survived.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:08:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39

His questions were asked and answered.  The 2nd Amendment wasn't applied in 1789 as he queried about because it hadn't been written yet.

He asked a separate question about whether a federal law applies to the states...again asked and answered with the 14th Amendment.

Two separate questions...two separate and accurate answers.  It's not my fault neither of you like the answer.

Oh and by the way a state or a nation are nothing without people.  The Bill of Rights was written to protect and guarantee certain things for the individual...the people if you will.

One of those guaranteed rights for every individual person regardless of which of the 12 states they may have lived in at the time...was the right to keep and bear arms.

The attempt to meld people and the state together to form a lame anti gun argument is just that...lame. 

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Bill Cipher

His questions were asked and answered.  The 2nd Amendment wasn't applied in 1789 as he queried about because it hadn't been written yet.

He asked a separate question about whether a federal law applies to the states...again asked and answered with the 14th Amendment.

Two separate questions...two separate and accurate answers.  It's not my fault neither of you like the answer.

Oh and by the way a state or a nation are nothing without people.  The Bill of Rights was written to protect and guarantee certain things for the individual...the people if you will.

One of those guaranteed rights for every individual person regardless of which of the 12 states they may have lived in at the time...was the right to keep and bear arms.

The attempt to meld people and the state together to form a lame anti gun argument is just that...lame. 

Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance. 

Offline Smokin Joe

What you left out is something even the States should acknowledge. The Right of the People to keep and bear arms is retained by the People, not reserved to the States, nor to be infringed by the Federal Government. It is specifically stated as the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, in the 2nd Amendment, the italicized phrase commonly left out by those who would try to weaken that Right.
It's voted on, ratified, even by those seeking statehood.

Even more, for instance, in State Constitutions the Right is also repeated: In North Dakota: Article I, § 1 of the North Dakota Constitution states that all individuals have certain “inalienable rights,” and includes among them the right “to keep and bear arms for the defense of their person, family, property, and the state, and for lawful hunting, recreational, and other lawful purposes, which shall not be infringed.”

Show me where the 'right' to abort babies is written in any Constitution, Federal or State.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

What you left out is something even the States should acknowledge. The Right of the People to keep and bear arms is retained by the People, not reserved to the States, nor to be infringed by the Federal Government. It is specifically stated as the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, in the 2nd Amendment, the italicized phrase commonly left out by those who would try to weaken that Right.
It's voted on, ratified, even by those seeking statehood.

Even more, for instance, in State Constitutions the Right is also repeated: In North Dakota: Article I, § 1 of the North Dakota Constitution states that all individuals have certain “inalienable rights,” and includes among them the right “to keep and bear arms for the defense of their person, family, property, and the state, and for lawful hunting, recreational, and other lawful purposes, which shall not be infringed.”

Show me where the 'right' to abort babies is written in any Constitution, Federal or State.

Show me where it’s written that the second amendment must apply to the states.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance.

Coming from you that's a compliment.

Still waiting for you to dazzle us with your brilliance on this subject.  Your "intelligence" on this subject has been snark and sarcasm. So far you've been quite underwhelming...but then that's typical for yOu.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39

Show me where the 4th has to.  Or the 3rd...or the 7th.

Offline skeeter

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

10th Amendment seems pretty clear.

Bill Cipher

Show me where the 4th has to.  Or the 3rd...or the 7th.

That’s just the point: they don’t.  The Court has applied all of those rights selectively under substantive due process, the same rationale it used for Roe v. Wade. 

Bill Cipher

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

10th Amendment seems pretty clear.

Wow.

Just wow.

That’s so far off base it’s not even good enough to be wrong. 

Bill Cipher

Coming from you that's a compliment.

Still waiting for you to dazzle us with your brilliance on this subject.  Your "intelligence" on this subject has been snark and sarcasm. So far you've been quite underwhelming...but then that's typical for yOu.

I’ve already demonstrated how it is that the Court has applied the Bill of Rights, including the second amendment, to the states: using the same substantive due process basis that it used to justify Roe v. Wade. 

But you don’t seem to have the basic facts necessary to have even a 101 level discussion on that. 

Offline Smokin Joe

I asked first.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Wow.

Just wow.

That’s so far off base it’s not even good enough to be wrong.

In your mind I'm sure it is.

Bill Cipher

In your mind I'm sure it is.

No.  It’s pretty objectively wrong. 

Bill Cipher

I asked first.

In other words, you don’t know.  You just believe it because you so badly want it to be true. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes.   Rights for me AND rights for thee.   What a concept! 

And each of the individual gun right and the choice right are subject to reasonable regulation.   And the SCOTUS is the ultimate arbiter when such regulation crosses the line into unreasonableness and the denial of the right.

You don't support the Second as I know it.  You want registration (licensing) and government mandated insurance.  IOW, a weapon is no different than a car.  What you call "reasonable regulation" I call infringing upon the right.
I will NOT comply.