Author Topic: The joke’s on the Cubs  (Read 1087 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The joke’s on the Cubs
« on: June 01, 2019, 07:23:56 pm »
Joining the Busch boo birds unloading on Kris Bryant was funny. Losing on a misguided infield shift wasn't.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/06/01/the-jokes-on-the-cubs/

Marcel Ozuna (23) gives Matt Carpenter the icy spoils
of thwarting the Cubs’ impersonation of the Chicago
Bears’ defensive line Friday night.

Doing a comic sketch over the winter in which he referred to St. Louis (the city, not the Cardinals) as “boring” has gotten Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant a mouthful in Busch Stadium Friday night. It even got him a few from his own teammates, who apparently can go along with a gag.

But it wasn’t all that funny when what began as a rather admirable pitching duel between the Cardinals’ Mike Mikolas and the Cubs’ Yu Darvish ended in the bottom of the tenth with Matt Carpenter driving the winner home off Cubs reliever Steve Cishek with the bases loaded, one out, and the Cubs shooting themselves in the defensive foot.

“They had their entire 25-man roster on the right side of the field, so I just knew that hitting pull side on the ground—pull side in the air, that’s fine, we could still score—pull side on the ground was not an option,” Carpenter said after surviving a celebratory jersey-shredding and a big Gatorade ice dump on the infield. “So my approach in that at-bat was to look for something to hit the other way and get something in the air and was able to do it.”

The Cardinals’ third baseman exaggerated only slightly, of course. But the Cubs did line up four players along the edge of the grass on the right side of the infield and moved their outfield far enough right when Carpenter checked in at the plate. The infield looked more populated by the Chicago Bears’ offensive line than a baseball team.

And the Cubs looked even more ridiculous for putting that exaggerated an overshift upon a batter who’s far more of a line drive hitter than a ground baller. Carpenter may be struggling to get himself on track at the plate this year so far, but he’s a) a .283 hitter lifetime in high leverage situations; and, b) a .646 hitter when he gets something to hit on a line, standard or high.

Most likely the Cubs hoped Carpenter’s comparative weakness as a pure fly ball hitter (.194) and a ground ball hitter (.236) would work in their favour, maybe a double play to send the game to an eleventh inning. They misread their assailant almost completely, especially with Cishek starting Carpenter with nothing he could put on the ground if he’d been swinging an ax to chop the ball in half.

Cishek only got to throw two pitches to Carpenter. The first was a slider that climbed instead of slid up and in for ball one. The second landed almost right down the pipe, and Carpenter lifted it like a golfer with a five-iron, sending it down the left field line.

Where the Cubs’ Willson Contreras, a catcher by trade inserted into left field in a double switch, and about as swift as an earth mover, could only watch as the drive hit the grass a few feet away from his onrushing self and bounced into the corner left field stands.

The net result wasted a delightful pitching duel between Mikolas and Darvish. A duel that shook off an early one-all tie with both runs coming home on sacrifice flies, the Cardinals opening in the bottom of the first with left fielder Marcel Ozuna scoring Carpenter on an opposite field fly and Darvish, of all people, pulling a sac fly to left in the top of the second to score (Chris Berman, call your office) his catcher Victor (Beta) Caratini.

The Cubs managed six hits off Mikolas and the Cardinals three off Darvish, but both pitchers worked effectively enough with Darvish slightly better in six than Mikolas in seven, Darvish striking out six against three walks and pitching mostly to his defenders with somewhat surprising composure considering his continuing inconsistencies.

One minute, Darvish looks like a solid number three starter this year. The next, he looks like he can’t find the strike zone with a search party. His previous outing, against the Reds, saw him get six runs battered out of him in seven innings’ work, after a trio of starts in which he kept the other guys (including the Reds) to three or less.

On Friday night it was as if Darvish wanted revenge for the four-inning, five-run mugging the Cardinals laid on him on 4 May, in which he helped hand them the machetes with five walks. Realising in the shaky first that his fastball started asleep, Darvish went to an array of curve balls and cutters for the most part in the second before his four-seamer awoke.

Miklas had the opposite trouble: his breaking balls weren’t quite as effective as his fastballs early on; Darvish himself tagged a curve ball for that second-inning sac fly. But as the game went on Miklas’s fastballs came alive just enough for him to use as either out pitches or setup pitches for his breakers and the occasional changeup.

The Cubs were more than a little infuriated when young Dillon Maples, sent out to work the tenth, threw what looked at every angle like a full-count strike three to Harrison Bader, the Cardinals’ right fielder, with Cardinals infielder Kolten Wong (one-out double) on second. Except that Laz Diaz called it ball four. It was the type of slider no less than ESPN’s Stats and Information department says gets called a strike 92 percent of the time or better.

“That’s the kind of thing that bums me out,” the manager said after the game. “To have pitches taken away from him in a crucial moment . . . Now my guy has to go home and feel bad about himself tonight. And it wasn’t even a borderline pitch. It was a strike.

Maples tried to shake it off but he walked Jedd Gyorko to load the pads for Carpenter. “I just made a close pitch and obviously didn’t get the call I wanted,” the young reliever said after the game. “So I was a little upset, but you have to move on.”

But when he didn’t, Maddon went to Cishek and the Monsters of the Midway infield defense. And Carpenter de-fanged the beasts with one swing and one floating opposite field fly.

The Cubs didn’t have one of their better games even before Carpenter left them with the proverbial egg on their tenth-inning faces. They went 0-for-8 with men on second or better, officially. The Cardinals weren’t that much better, going 1-for-5 in the same situation.

But the Cubs at least had a few laughs when the game got underway and Bryant batted in the first. When the Busch Stadium audience let him have it as he walked up to the plate, Bryant was amused to see his buddy Anthony Rizzo leading the Cubs dugout and bullpen in a chorus of booing.

“It was pretty funny,” said Bryant after the game. “I wanted to look and see all who was doing it . . . I think he told the bullpen guys to get in on it.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever roundly booed one of my own guys before,” Maddon cracked. “I can check that off the list.”

Bryant hit Miklas’s first pitch to him past the infield for a base hit. It was the only hit Bryant got all night. The goal-line stand the Cubs tried in the tenth, alas, was about as funny as the proverbial pickpocket in the nudist colony. But it gave Carpenter and the Cardinals the last laugh.
------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Freya
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The joke’s on the Cubs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:45:54 pm »
No offense to any Briefer cub fans,  but everyone has a team that they just despise.

That team for me since the 1960's has been the Chicago cubs.  No one alive will likely ever witness another major sports 108 year championship drought.   And it couldn't have happened to a better bunch......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:39:18 am »
No offense to any Briefer cub fans,  but everyone has a team that they just despise.

That team for me since the 1960's has been the Chicago cubs.  No one alive will likely ever witness another major sports 108 year championship drought.   And it couldn't have happened to a better bunch......
Can you relate to us just exactly why you hate them so much?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:26:21 am »
Can you relate to us just exactly why you hate them so much?

Several more, but here a few to come to mind

(1) Started back in the late '60's when Leo Durocher accused my team (The Astros) of turning on the Dome AC, only when the cubs were up to bat. 
(2) Sosa flipping off a couple of kids in the OF, (pre-game) after they asked for a ball signing
(3) During our very lean times in the early 2010's, contingents of cub fans would come to MMP just to insult and catcall our team.  I mean the entire 9 innings.  One particular event required security intervention from a dozen of them vs, about a dozen  of us Astros fans.

Generally they are obnoxious, rude, and drunk.

There are others , but my blood pressure is rising as I type.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 04:11:27 am »
No one alive will likely ever witness another major sports 108 year championship drought.

For a century, Cub fans blamed their losing on some curse.  Now that the curse is supposedly broken, from this point forward everyone will know that when the Cubs lose, it is because they suck.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 04:51:48 am »
For a century, Cub fans blamed their losing on some curse.  Now that the curse is supposedly broken, from this point forward everyone will know that when the Cubs lose, it is because they suck.

True dat...... :beer:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:05:32 am »
The only curses upon cursed franchises can be narrowed down to this: bonehead management. That plus something all the Bambinos, billy goats, black cats, and the like can't equal---scoring too few runs while the other guys score too many.

Aside from which I was always more inclined to believe the Cubs were really suffering the curse of Leo Durocher, who---like his former disciple Charlie Dressen---never made a mistake he couldn't blame on somebody else and cost the Cubs the 1969 National League East while slowly but surely poisoning his own clubhouse.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 05:25:36 am »
The only curses upon cursed franchises can be narrowed down to this: bonehead management. That plus something all the Bambinos, billy goats, black cats, and the like can't equal---scoring too few runs while the other guys score too many.

Aside from which I was always more inclined to believe the Cubs were really suffering the curse of Leo Durocher, who---like his former disciple Charlie Dressen---never made a mistake he couldn't blame on somebody else and cost the Cubs the 1969 National League East while slowly but surely poisoning his own clubhouse.

@EasyAce
@GrouchoTex

Not one to want to toot the horn for my team   :cool:, but I found this nice article, explaining our rags to riches story.  Pretty interesting

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/6/3/18644512/mvp-machine-how-houston-astros-became-great-scouting?fbclid=IwAR384OIWOdgKb0BhXvEdMbe5X9LI25E14KbebTs6d8MGuw2pGvUSTSALU9Y

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 03:39:00 pm »
@EasyAce
@GrouchoTex

Not one to want to toot the horn for my team   :cool:, but I found this nice article, explaining our rags to riches story.  Pretty interesting

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2019/6/3/18644512/mvp-machine-how-houston-astros-became-great-scouting?fbclid=IwAR384OIWOdgKb0BhXvEdMbe5X9LI25E14KbebTs6d8MGuw2pGvUSTSALU9Y
@catfish1957
I found this book even better for studying and explaining it:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 03:55:00 pm »

I remember a quote from Dressen to the effect that he was proud he never read a book in his life. Not something to be proud of. "Hi, I'm an ignoramus...isn't that great?"
I've also read a number of stories to the effect that Durocher might have been the biggest jerk in the history of baseball.  I also remember a story about him that whenever he saw a woman he was sexually interested in, he'd put his hands on a certain part of her anatomy. He explained his ..uh.... approach by saying if they didn't like it, he wouldn't be wasting his time trying to sweet talk her into bed.
If they didn't object, then again he wouldn't be wasting his time, and they could get right down to it.  Sounds like a real sophisticated operator. :whistle:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »
I remember a quote from Dressen to the effect that he was proud he never read a book in his life. Not something to be proud of. "Hi, I'm an ignoramus...isn't that great?"
An amusing little story about Dressen:

Once upon a time, when Dressen still managed the Dodgers and future Boys of Summer author Roger Kahn had the Dodger beat on the New York Herald-Tribune, Kahn took his father, Gordon, to Ebbets Field to see a game and meet Dressen after the game. (Sidebar: Gordon Kahn was a well-educated teacher who among other things happened to be one of the consultants to the highbrow radio quiz program Information, Please.) The Dodgers lost, and Kahn and his father found themselves in an Ebbets Field elevator with Dressen, who fumed a blue streak. After Dressen and the Kahns parted ways, the son turned to his father and apologised sheepishly for Dressen's "coarseness."

"Nonsense," Gordon Kahn replied. "I can tell at once that he's an intelligent man."

Dressen had his flaws, but he also did say this once about Jackie Robinson: Look, I know all about them Klan bastards . . . I know there's a lot of guys don't like Robi'son but when we win the pennant and they see it's Robi'son getting them that World Series money he's gonna look awful white awful fast.

Dressen wasn't a bookman, but he wasn't an ignoramus, either. In a way, you could say of Dressen that he was Leo Durocher if you could imagine that Durocher wasn't a sleazebag.

I've also read a number of stories to the effect that Durocher might have been the biggest jerk in the history of baseball.  I also remember a story about him that whenever he saw a woman he was sexually interested in, he'd put his hands on a certain part of her anatomy. He explained his ..uh.... approach by saying if they didn't like it, he wouldn't be wasting his time trying to sweet talk her into bed. If they didn't object, then again he wouldn't be wasting his time, and they could get right down to it.  Sounds like a real sophisticated operator. :whistle:
Durocher was in a lack of class by himself. I'm not sure he's the biggest jerk in the history of a game populated by such jerks as Rogers Hornsby, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams (he was a great player and a first class jerk as often as not, for much of his playing career), Frank Lane (to whom making trades was as good as crack cocaine whether or not the trades made sense), Billy Martin, Pete Rose, Jose Canseco (who was such a jerk even before the actual or alleged performance-enhancing substances issue that Dave Parker once threatened to clean, stuff, and mount him if he spoke above a whisper so long as Parker was part of the A's---who won their only late-80s World Series with Parker as their clubhouse enforcer, incidentally), Albert Belle, and Barry Bonds (who can forget the Sports Illustrated cover story whose cover headline was I'm Barry Bonds, and . . . You're Not?), but Leo Durocher was no prize package.

And since his singular baseball achievement---the 1952 Giants' pennant race comeback to force the playoff they won at the last minute---has long since been proven tainted, marry that to his having won a single World Series in practically three decades' worth of managing and there's an argument that he really has no business being in the Hall of Fame. You can get the story of that tainted 1951 comeback in this book:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 08:23:39 pm by EasyAce »