Author Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Finds Unlikely Ally in Ted Cruz  (Read 1228 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Finds Unlikely Ally in Ted Cruz
« on: June 01, 2019, 04:55:01 pm »
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Finds Unlikely Ally in Ted Cruz

By Natasha Bach   ||    May 31, 2019

Freshman Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez found an unlikely ally in Republican Sen. Ted Cruz on Thursday.
Ocasio-Cortez shared an analysis from Public Citizen on Twitter that found that close to 60% of former members of the last Congress have taken lobbying jobs or jobs that influence federal policy more broadly. Along with the study, she shared a message that “if you are a member of Congress + leave, you shouldn’t be allowed to turn right around & leverage your service for a lobbyist check. I don’t think it should be legal at ALL to become a corporate lobbyist if you’ve served in Congress.”

snip

http://fortune.com/2019/05/31/aoc-and-ted-cruz/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:20:35 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Finds Unlikely Ally in Ted Cruz
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 06:26:37 pm »
Still don't trust Ted.  Never will. Once people show you who they are...believe them. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 06:30:46 pm »
Still don't trust Ted.  Never will. Once people show you who they are...believe them.

Its called being principled. You know, the opposite of untrustworthy.

Or maybe he should go all in for ex-congressmen lobbying their former associates just because being against it would put AOC on his side?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 06:50:26 pm »

Yes, ma'am.  We see you.

Offline Mod2

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »

I trust him. He is a prominent political figure, with beliefs like my own, on most issues.

I believe him to be smart, and pragmatic. He should see the obvious; AOC is persuasive in the manner that Scott Adams discusses. He noticed her ability early,  to be heard.

One could cynically claim Cruz is using her to get attention. If so fine. But that is the game now, like it or not. I appplaud his political savvy.

If they got a jointly developed measure to pass, I would call them both "smart" and "effective."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »
There are some things liberals and conservatives agree on. Doesn't happen often.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 09:25:52 pm »
There are some things liberals and conservatives agree on. Doesn't happen often.

AOC recently said that nuclear power should be considered for fighting "climate change."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 09:57:18 pm »
AOC recently said that nuclear power should be considered for fighting "climate change."

That surprises me, but some liberals are ok with nuke power being so afraid of CO2.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:42:11 pm »
Moving to the AOC category.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
The proper title should be "A Broken Clock is Right Twice A Day" in regards to AOC.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 02:09:18 pm »

Of course you don't. No matter what account you use.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 02:32:20 pm »
There is an easy way to get rid of the influence of lobbyists- ditch the IRS and tax code, rescind the 16th amendment, and implement the Fair Tax.

With all the cheating and illegal campaign scams the bartender has been engaged in, I don't believe for a moment she won't have her hand out for lobbyist cash.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 03:22:44 pm »
There is an easy way to get rid of the influence of lobbyists- ditch the IRS and tax code, rescind the 16th amendment, and implement the Fair Tax.

With all the cheating and illegal campaign scams the bartender has been engaged in, I don't believe for a moment she won't have her hand out for lobbyist cash.

I think there are several active campaign finance investigations going on with AOC.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 09:22:23 pm »

If a million monkeys, typing on a million typewriters for a million years could perhaps produce one copy of Shakespeare's Sonnets (used to describe the likelyhood of a favorble genetic mutation causing evolution) h, then AOC is due to get one thing right. In this one thing, apparently Cruz, AOC, and I agree.

You will never drain the swamp, if unseated Congress critters are allowed to flip and lobby the very halls they just vacated--and likely for a much better pecuniary reward. End the delayed kickback.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 02:05:28 am »
Neal Boortz, Herman Cain and Bigun all agree with you. The rest of the world knows that this malarkey won't work, either.

As long as we have a government that accepts suggestions and votes from the public, there will always be lobbying.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
Neal Boortz, Herman Cain and Bigun all agree with you. The rest of the world knows that this malarkey won't work, either.

As long as we have a government that accepts suggestions and votes from the public, there will always be lobbying.
@jmyrlefuller
If there is no tax code to manipulate, the lobbyists can't affect my money. @Bigun
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 12:10:04 am »
@jmyrlefuller
If there is no tax code to manipulate, the lobbyists can't affect my money. @Bigun

@austingirl There are plenty of people around whos minds are made up and do not wish to be confused by facts and logic.  @jmyrlefuller is one of them. 

May his chains rest lightly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien