Author Topic: It’s Not Your Imagination: The Journalists Writing About Antifa Are Often Their Cheerleaders  (Read 442 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm posting two articles here, the before and the after.

It’s Not Your Imagination: The Journalists Writing About Antifa Are Often Their Cheerleaders

On February 1, 2017, Milo Yiannopoulos was scheduled to give a talk about free speech at the University of California, Berkeley. But he was prevented from speaking by a group of 150 or so masked, black-clad members of a then-obscure movement calling itself “Antifa.” The protestors caused $100,000 worth of damage to the campus and injured six people as they threw rocks and Molotov cocktails. Nine months later, again at Berkeley, an “anti-Marxist” rally descended into violence as approximately 100 masked Antifa members harassed journalists and beat rally organizers and attendees.

Berkeley was where Antifa rose to national attention, but it hasn’t been the only place where the group has engaged in sustained acts of violence. At a Washington, D.C. Unite the Right rally in August 2018, Antifa members hurled objects at police and assaulted journalists. In Portland, Oregon, violent street clashes involving Antifa have become regular events. Notwithstanding claims that Antifa is a peaceful, “anti-fascist community-defense group,” it has adopted tactics that often are more violent than those of the right-wing movements that the group opposes.

Andy Ngo
    ✔
    @MrAndyNgo
     Â· May 1, 2019
    Replying to @MrAndyNgo

Was assaulted outside the @CiderRiot on 807 NE Couch by masked Antifa thugs.

Andy Ngo
    ✔
    @MrAndyNgo

I was sprayed in the face point blank with pepper spray outside the @CiderRiot, where Antifa had amassed. They cheered as I was blinded. Before that, they threatened me & brought up my mother’s name. A woman helped me across the street. Please help me identify person: pic.twitter.com/BUxlk94fz4
    8:32 PM - May 1, 2019

And yet, Antifa often receives media coverage that is neutral or even favorable, with its members’ violence either being ignored by reporters or vaguely explained away as a product of right-wing provocation. What’s more, anecdotal evidence has suggested that many of the mainstream reporters who are most active in covering Antifa also tend to enthusiastically amplify Antifa’s claims on social media.....

https://quillette.com/2019/05/29/its-not-your-imagination-the-journalists-writing-about-antifa-are-often-their-cheerleaders/

Twitter Bans Analyst Who Revealed AntiFa Connections With Journalists

Twitter banned a researcher dedicated to mapping out AntiFa’s connections to journalists and the SPLC.

By
Ian Miles Cheong

on
May 29, 2019

Former teacher and analyst Eoin Lenihan has been banned from Twitter after revealing major links between so-called “anti-extremism” campaigners and the hard-left AntiFa group.

Lenihan published his findings in Quillette, revealing links between journalists who write for the the Guardian newspaper, HuffPost, Al Jazeera, and various other publications to the hard left group.

Lenihan was suspended early Wednesday morning, prompting speculation about the ban....

https://humanevents.com/2019/05/29/twitter-bans-analyst-who-revealed-journalists-antifa-connections/?utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gopbriefingroom.com%2Findex.php%2Ftopic%2C363556.0%2Ftopicseen.html

(Also posted here:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,363556.0/topicseen.html

Online mountaineer

Forgive me for repeating this story, but early in my news reporting career I experienced a shocking realization.  The dean of the WVU journalism school visited our newsroom and spoke to a group of us reporters. She explained that the j-school's job was to teach the kiddies to influence opinion.  We looked at one another in shock, as we thought we were there to report the news clearly and objectively.

The school certainly wasn't teaching how to write. The next graduate who started working at our paper was sent to cover a Rotary meeting,  and on his return simply stared at the computer screen.

"What am I supposed to say?" he whined.

"Tell what the speaker talked about,  I replied. Then I realized he hadn't taken a single note.  22222frying pan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:31:03 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

That was 20 years ago. My point is that so-called journalists are not news reporters. They seem to believe their job is to shape opinion,  and partnering with groups like antifa is a means to that end.

Offline dfwgator

That was 20 years ago. My point is that so-called journalists are not news reporters. They seem to believe their job is to shape opinion,  and partnering with groups like antifa is a means to that end.

Ulrike Meinhof, of the Baader-Meinhof Gang, started as a journalist.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Nine out of ten journalism graduates when asked why they went into journalism all say the same thing.

"To change the world." is the standard answer. They do not say, To report the facts. Nor do they say, To expose corruption.

You can't really count on people who have a stated 'global mission' to report objectively and accurately.

They are only going to report on things they feel furthers their mission and goals.
This is the exact opposite of objectivity.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Forgive me for repeating this story, but early in my news reporting career I experienced a shocking realization.  The dean of the WVU journalism school visited our newsroom and spoke to a group of us reporters. She explained that the j-school's job was to teach the kiddies to influence opinion.  We looked at one another in shock, as we thought we were there to report the news clearly and objectively.

The school certainly wasn't teaching how to write. The next graduate who started working at our paper was sent to cover a Rotary meeting,  and on his return simply stared at the computer screen.

"What am I supposed to say?" he whined.

"Tell what the speaker talked about,  I replied. Then I realized he hadn't taken a single note.  22222frying pan

The job description has apparently been rewritten as "political activist".

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The job description has apparently been rewritten as "political activist".

Post modernism,

New Theory

Intersectionalism

If one looks well into these activities, people, agendas they  stem from Communism.

And they subscribe to the concept of "By Any Means Necessary."

Sadly many "conservatives"appear to be uninterested. They pump out superstars like Evan McMuffin, and Justin Amash.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

I became a reporter after a few other careers because I enjoyed writing and had a particular knowledge of courts and legal issues. In my first year, I won a couple of statewide awards for my reporting on those topics. I didn't express opinions, I didn't attempt to shape opinion, and I certainly didn't attempt to change the world. It was enough to report on the things that actually happened - in a clear, concise and unbiased fashion.  :shrug: