Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6137 times)

Online corbe

Thanks for the Heads Up @edpc She can be quite entertaining when the Topic is not Trump or Cruz or mesicans or Mormons and a few other Legal Minorities, oh wait, what am I saying, other than the Mormons, that's all we ever talk about.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Thanks for the Heads Up @edpc She can be quite entertaining when the Topic is not Trump or Cruz or mesicans or Mormons and a few other Legal Minorities, oh wait, what am I saying, other than the Mormons, that's all we ever talk about.

What do you know about a plane that's arrived with a bunch of Germermans on it? Germerm... Germans. Germermans. There's a plane with mermans on it. The plane's in town. Ethel Merman came in on it. Wanna go see Ethel Merman with me? I'll buy two tickets. Let me get on my pajamas, I'll be ready to go.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online corbe

I live in a German/American town, it's tough being a long haired hippy here, though I do shower regularly (facing away from the nozzle).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Victoria33

Trump's proposed tariffs on Mexico would be biggest tax hike in almost 30 years: report

https://thehill.com/policy/international/trade/446540-trumps-proposed-tariffs-on-mexico-would-be-biggest-tax-hike-in And the analysis from the Tax Foundation is here: https://taxfoundation.org/trade-china-tariffs-economic-impact/
@edpc
@Applewood

This past Friday, Trump took India off the developing country list; they had a lower US tariff due to being on that list.  Now, Trump says they don't deserve to be on that list and it is costing us money.  So now, add India as another country who dislikes us due to him.  I don't know what India could do to hurt him (us), but I doubt they do nothing.   Trump has spent his whole adult life making enemies - that is what he does - that is his goal.  In his years before being president, he made enemies of various movie star females; had running verbal wars with them for years and would be doing that now except his has countries now to make his enemies.  The trade wars he has going with countries delights him and may destroy this country and not care one bit he did it.  He will claim great victory because he is mentally impaired.  He is a salesman and that is why he won the election - he got people to believe him and got their vote and he won.  That is all he wanted, the publicity that he won.

Offline Applewood

@edpc
@Applewood

This past Friday, Trump took India off the developing country list; they had a lower US tariff due to being on that list.  Now, Trump says they don't deserve to be on that list and it is costing us money.  So now, add India as another country who dislikes us due to him.  I don't know what India could do to hurt him (us), but I doubt they do nothing.   Trump has spent his whole adult life making enemies - that is what he does - that is his goal.  In his years before being president, he made enemies of various movie star females; had running verbal wars with them for years and would be doing that now except his has countries now to make his enemies.  The trade wars he has going with countries delights him and may destroy this country and not care one bit he did it.  He will claim great victory because he is mentally impaired.  He is a salesman and that is why he won the election - he got people to believe him and got their vote and he won.  That is all he wanted, the publicity that he won.

Read a rumor that  Trump also considered tarriffs against Australia, but decided against it.  Not citing the link because at this stage, it's a rumor and I can't find confirmation.  But this "trade war" thing has gotten out of hand.   I don't think it has anything to do with jobs or whatever other MAGA karp Trump is peddling.  It's an ego thing.

As for India, about the only thing I would like to see is some kind of prohibition against outsourcing customer service to India and God knows where.  I am tired of trying to communicate with someone who can't speak intelligible English. 

Online libertybele

@edpc
@Applewood

...hmmm  I see Trump as a person who wants attention and not necessarily to make enemies, but he makes enemies along the way in order to accomplish his agenda.  Yes, he sold his supporters a bill of goods because he has absolutely FAILED at the border. There is no denying that.  Even IF he manages to curtail the current invasion, hundreds of thousands are now in this country ILLEGALLY.  IMHO, the new USMCA, his waiting to take action on the border and now slapping tariffs against Mexico indicate perhaps he has a different objective; certainly not one of building a wall.

As for the trade wars, keep in mind that Trump isn't going to do anything that eventually won't line his pockets in the long run.  I do feel that we cannot continue to allow unfair trade practices with China and NAFTA was terrible for this country (thank you Bush Sr.) 

So many items are made in China it's ridiculous.  Remember the slogan "Look for the Union Label" and Walmart used to always trend towards "Made in the USA"?  Gone are those days.  NAFTA set in ... and I do believe Trump is trying to take us back to using USA parts and labor for items.  Whether or not he will be successful or is going about things the correct way is yet to be seen.  So far the trade war with China is beginning to take its toll and Pelosi has stated that she will not even bring the USMCA to a vote!  Trying to make an agreement, and then turning around and imposing tariffs on a country that you want to renegotiate with seems ambiguous.

If he does not succeed at the border and the invasion continues, it's really not going to matter, you are correct, he will have destroyed the sovereignty of this country.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

Yes, I get that.  What remains to be seen of course, is if Trump will be successful in dealing with China.  After all, they've been used to being in the driver's seat. 

As for Trump fighting for America ... he's also seeing a different perspective in how to line his own pockets ... hopefully in the long run he'll be lining ours as well.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:02:39 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

@edpc
@Applewood

So your whole rabid point is that Trump acts solely to make enemies.  I have seen some Trump-hating diatribes, but that one takes the prize.

Do you not stop and think before you write?

India is a far different country now than when it achieved GSP status in 1976.  It is the 7th largest economy in the world, and competes in a number of areas with the US.  It most decidedly is past time to end the special status the US has with true developing countries on this list.  https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/gsp/Beneficiary%20countries%20March%202018.pdf

It also has high tariffs on a number of items compared to the US, such as motorcycles which India hits with a 50% tariff(It was 100%) compared to the US of 0 to 2.4%.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:52:07 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

@IsailedawayfromFR

Trump does nothing using diplomacy.  He writes bad things about a country when he takes action that affects that country.  He didn't have to get on twitter and say bad things about India.  He gets joy from saying/tweeting bad things about a country just like he does that with individuals.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Trump does nothing using diplomacy.  He writes bad things about a country when he takes action that affects that country.  He didn't have to get on twitter and say bad things about India.  He gets joy from saying/tweeting bad things about a country just like he does that with individuals.
The hatred you have for him is on full display.

It colors any sensible analysis of the situation at hand, i.e. - Does India continue to deserve favored trade status.  That, I notice, you have not yet addressed.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
   I live in a German/American town, it's tough being a long haired hippy here, though I do shower regularly (facing away from the nozzle).

12 GOP Senators voted against Trump's German-American towns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@corbe

Offline Night Hides Not

@IsailedawayfromFR

@Victoria33
@IsailedawayfromFR

Sorry, I don't see any 'hatred' toward President Trump, just a recitation of Trump's style. His unfiltered tweets are manna for Trump's base, and manna is the best description of those tweets...his loyal supporters feed off those tweets daily, and twice on Sundays.

I get it, he's loved because he's a "fighter." But dammit, he's the President of the United States, with a bully pulpit and all that implies. Unfortunately, he mostly uses that pulpit to bully anyone who dissents with him, or to disparage those whom he fired. I think he'll eventually reach his goal, of having nothing but "acting" Cabinet secretaries.

I pretty much tune him out, as we know he can't change. The 2020 election will truly be a lesser of two evils, no matter who the Democrats put up...and I'll never vote for a Democrat.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
Sorry, I don't see any 'hatred' toward President Trump, just a recitation of Trump's style. His unfiltered tweets are manna for Trump's base, and manna is the best description of those tweets...his loyal supporters feed off those tweets daily, and twice on Sundays. I get it, he's loved because he's a "fighter." But dammit, he's the President of the United States, with a bully pulpit and all that implies. Unfortunately, he mostly uses that pulpit to bully anyone who dissents with him, or to disparage those whom he fired. I think he'll eventually reach his goal, of having nothing but "acting" Cabinet secretaries.  I pretty much tune him out, as we know he can't change. The 2020 election will truly be a lesser of two evils, no matter who the Democrats put up...and I'll never vote for a Democrat.
@Night Hides Not

Thanks for your post.  I will leave the President box empty when I vote.  I cannot vote for him.

Online corbe

Only if it appears Trump could lose Texas's 38 EV would I ever consider voting for him.

@Victoria33
@IsailedawayfromFR

Sorry, I don't see any 'hatred' toward President Trump, just a recitation of Trump's style. His unfiltered tweets are manna for Trump's base, and manna is the best description of those tweets...his loyal supporters feed off those tweets daily, and twice on Sundays.

I get it, he's loved because he's a "fighter." But dammit, he's the President of the United States, with a bully pulpit and all that implies. Unfortunately, he mostly uses that pulpit to bully anyone who dissents with him, or to disparage those whom he fired. I think he'll eventually reach his goal, of having nothing but "acting" Cabinet secretaries.

I pretty much tune him out, as we know he can't change. The 2020 election will truly be a lesser of two evils, no matter who the Democrats put up...and I'll never vote for a Democrat.
Some see him the way you describe.  His style is not what some call 'politically-correct', but I could care less if the results bear fruit.  I am a Norman Schwarzkopf-for-President type of guy.

I see him taking actions on long-overdue issues which Congress should be doing but have been derelict in and which his predecessors kicked down the road.

And I for one do not wish him to change, as he gets things done.  Having worked corporately for years, I understand he is executing as an executive would, to get to the bottom line, and is not frightened by the politics domestically or internationally of his actions.

And if you believe someone saying 'his goal in life is making enemies' does not exhibit hatred, then I fail to see another example so blatant.

Oh, and BTW, @Victoria33 has yet to comment on the issue at hand that is whether India deserves GSP
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:20:25 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Night Hides Not

Some see him the way you describe.  His style is not what some call 'politically-correct', but I could care less if the results bear fruit.  I am a Norman Schwarzkopf-for-President type of guy.

I see him taking actions on long-overdue issues which Congress should be doing but have been derelict in and which his predecessors kicked down the road.

And I for one do not wish him to change, as he gets things done.  Having worked corporately for years, I understand he is executing as an executive would, to get to the bottom line, and is not frightened by the politics domestically or internationally of his actions.

And if you believe someone saying 'his goal in life is making enemies' does not exhibit hatred, then I fail to see another example so blatant.

Oh, and BTW, @Victoria33 has yet to comment on the issue at hand that is whether India deserves GSP

Playing thread monitor today?  :thud:

I don't see any meaningful action on long-term issues, such as border security. After nearly 2 1/2 years in office, less than 10 miles of new fence has been constructed, and records are being set for illegal immigration. Yet all it takes to keep his base mollified are a few tweets and an occasional rally.

I need to save my breath, as I know the response will be "it's the fault of Congress", or any other villain Trump fans can raise. Not without justification, but other Presidents have gotten more done in the past with recalcitrant Congresses.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
...hmmm  I see Trump as a person who wants attention and not necessarily to make enemies, but he makes enemies along the way in order to accomplish his agenda.  Yes, he sold his supporters a bill of goods because he has absolutely FAILED at the border. There is no denying that.  Even IF he manages to curtail the current invasion, hundreds of thousands are now in this country ILLEGALLY.  IMHO, the new USMCA, his waiting to take action on the border and now slapping tariffs against Mexico indicate perhaps he has a different objective; certainly not one of building a wall.

As for the trade wars, keep in mind that Trump isn't going to do anything that eventually won't line his pockets in the long run.  I do feel that we cannot continue to allow unfair trade practices with China and NAFTA was terrible for this country (thank you Bush Sr.) 

So many items are made in China it's ridiculous.  Remember the slogan "Look for the Union Label" and Walmart used to always trend towards "Made in the USA"?  Gone are those days.  NAFTA set in ... and I do believe Trump is trying to take us back to using USA parts and labor for items.  Whether or not he will be successful or is going about things the correct way is yet to be seen.  So far the trade war with China is beginning to take its toll and Pelosi has stated that she will not even bring the USMCA to a vote!  Trying to make an agreement, and then turning around and imposing tariffs on a country that you want to renegotiate with seems ambiguous.

If he does not succeed at the border and the invasion continues, it's really not going to matter, you are correct, he will have destroyed the sovereignty of this country.

They just caught a group of 116 Africans from 3 different countries crossing the Rio Grand.  Congo was one.  These countries are known for Ebola.  This is a National Emergency.  It isn't just people coming from Latin America.

And I am not sure about the USMCA Trade agreement.  I am afraid it will be another back door for increased immigration to the US.  With no provision to protect citizens from shouldering the burden for them and their families. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Playing thread monitor today?  :thud:

I don't see any meaningful action on long-term issues, such as border security. After nearly 2 1/2 years in office, less than 10 miles of new fence has been constructed, and records are being set for illegal immigration. Yet all it takes to keep his base mollified are a few tweets and an occasional rally.

I need to save my breath, as I know the response will be "it's the fault of Congress", or any other villain Trump fans can raise. Not without justification, but other Presidents have gotten more done in the past with recalcitrant Congresses.
For some reason, you believe prior Presidents did more in border issues than the current President.

I have been going way back to back you up, and seems Dwight Eisenhower was the last President who did more than Trump in border security with his Operation Wetback.

Do not know what you mean by 'thread monitor'.  The poster brought up that Trump removed India from GSP then ranted about how it made an enemy of them without commenting on whether India still deserved to be recognized as a favored developing nation.  I brought up some facts saying it should not.

Why should I not ask for some facts supporting his/her position?

Online libertybele

They just caught a group of 116 Africans from 3 different countries crossing the Rio Grand.  Congo was one.  These countries are known for Ebola.  This is a National Emergency.  It isn't just people coming from Latin America.

And I am not sure about the USMCA Trade agreement.  I am afraid it will be another back door for increased immigration to the US.  With no provision to protect citizens from shouldering the burden for them and their families.

@Chosen Daughter this has been a national emergency, in fact Trump declared it to be a national emergency, yet nothing is being done.  The invasion is rapidly increasing.  It is ridiculous that Trump didn't address this situation from the beginning and shut down the border.  Giving Mexico a year and then slapping a tariff on them is equally ridiculous. Trump teetering back and forth on this issue has been an open invitation to illegals from 50 different countries (last count).

USMCA a back door? I certainly think so ... I see it as the beginning of building infrastructure to join Mexico, the U.S. and Canada -- so --- how do you keep illegals out then??  You can't and he won't.  That's not his intention. 

Offline Night Hides Not

@Chosen Daughter this has been a national emergency, in fact Trump declared it to be a national emergency, yet nothing is being done.  The invasion is rapidly increasing.  It is ridiculous that Trump didn't address this situation from the beginning and shut down the border.  Giving Mexico a year and then slapping a tariff on them is equally ridiculous. Trump teetering back and forth on this issue has been an open invitation to illegals from 50 different countries (last count).

USMCA a back door? I certainly think so ... I see it as the beginning of building infrastructure to join Mexico, the U.S. and Canada -- so --- how do you keep illegals out then??  You can't and he won't.  That's not his intention.

I thought Trump dealt with this national emergency with a couple of tweets, and then moved on to more pressing matters, such as whether or not he said Megan Markle was "nasty."

The border security issue is always at the ready for Trump to employ his garbled syntax to keep his base in his corner.

He, and his cronies, need those undocumented workers for Mar Lago and other resorts that won't hire Americans at way below market rates.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:24:36 pm by Night Hides Not »

I thought Trump dealt with this national emergency with a couple of tweets, and then moved on to more pressing matters, such as whether or not he said Megan Markle was "nasty."

The border security issue is always at the ready for Trump to employ his garbled syntax to keep his base in his corner.

He, and his cronies, need those undocumented workers for Mar Lago and other resorts that won't hire Americans at way below market rates.
Wow, now there is real news or you are simply making things up.

No Americans hired at Mar Largo.  What other resorts do you understand do not hire Americans?

Offline Night Hides Not

Wow, now there is real news or you are simply making things up.

No Americans hired at Mar Largo.  What other resorts do you understand do not hire Americans?

Try doing a search on "mar a lago h1b visas" @IsailedawayfromFR .

Or this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-properties-gave-144-jobs-american-article-1.3818600

Trump properties gave one out of 144 jobs to an American, rest went to foreign workers

A study by Vox of three of President Trump's properties has found a stunning lack of American labor, with foreign guest workers filling in every seasonal position with one exception.

According to recruiting files sent to the U.S. Department of Labor by Mar-a-Lago, Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Fla., and Trump National Golf Club in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., 144 jobs were open from 2016 to 2017.

Workers possessing H-2B visas would reportedly be given 143 of them, operating in such roles as servers, bartenders and housekeepers.

The sole American worker was hired as a cook.

OK, I call myself out on "undocumented workers", since the guest workers had H-2B visas.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 06:33:02 pm by Night Hides Not »

Try doing a search on "mar a lago h1b visas" @IsailedawayfromFR .

Or this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-properties-gave-144-jobs-american-article-1.3818600

OK, I call myself out on "undocumented workers", since the guest workers had H-2B visas.
the article says only 7 Americans applied for 144 job openings, and only one was qualified or wlliing to work for seasonal employment.

Hardly a 'won't hire Americans' mantra like you claimed.

What would you have them do to fill those positions if Americans do not even apply for temporary jobs?

Offline Night Hides Not

the article says only 7 Americans applied for 144 job openings, and only one was qualified or wlliing to work for seasonal employment.

Hardly a 'won't hire Americans' mantra like you claimed.

What would you have them do to fill those positions if Americans do not even apply for temporary jobs?

I don't find this surprising:

There is no public record of Trump properties incurring any penalties related to the H-2 program.

But a 2011 Palm Beach Post article noted that Mar-a-Lago failed to share postings for 90 open positions with a local nonprofit that helps unemployed Americans find jobs. Meanwhile, the club placed newspaper advertisements asking that applicants for housekeeper jobs have high school diplomas, a highly unusual requirement for such a position.

Mar-a-Lago no longer includes an educational requirement for housekeeping positions — which paid $10.68 an hour for the most recent season — but it does require three months’ prior experience “in luxury hospitality setting” and that candidates be “articulate in English.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kenbensinger/mar-a-lago-rejected-dozens-of-americans-in-favor-of-foreign

I'd love to see how Mar-a-Lago defines "articulate in English".  Employers, not just Trump, sure game the system to their benefit.