Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6077 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Revisionist history why were we called the "arsenal of democracy" at the start of WW2? Hint, because we had the manufacturing capability to produce all the arms Britain and Russia needed to fight Axis powers plus the ability to rearm our Army, Navy and Air Core. That economy was built from 1865 to 1941 behind tariffs walls. I'd rather see Americans with jobs then sent money to China so they can build a strong military to attack us.

We were called the arsenal of democracy, because FDR needed a catchphrase and cause to bail him out from his deficit funded work projects. That capability was built on westward expansion and an influx of cheap labor, after the Civil War. It’s no coincidence our peak of the world GDP percentage was in 1960, when the post-war recovery finally put Europe and Asia back on their feet.

Whether we have a fair trade deal with China or not, a clash is inevitable. We had a fairly mercantile arrangement with Japan in the early 20th Century, exporting oil and steel, but still ended up in a war with them. The conflict with China will be over the same reasons - regional influence and resources.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Twin Plants at the border, there certainly is an economy there that should not be upset. I know someone who worked for a major medical devices supplier, he told me, they'd be picked up in an armored van in El Paso to go do business in Juarez. And when, the ground was broken to set up a new facility in Juarez, they found bodies buried at the site.  Pretty hairy stuff.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The Twin Plants at the border, there certainly is an economy there that should not be upset. I know someone who worked for a major medical devices supplier, he told me, they'd be picked up in an armored van in El Paso to go do business in Juarez. And when, the ground was broken to set up a new facility in Juarez, they found bodies buried at the site.  Pretty hairy stuff.

That’s terrible. It makes it really difficult to give all that equipment a good earth ground.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

That's a nice rewrite of history, but I seem to remember a Republican Congress and particularly Senate that would barely work with him and peel off to the other side whenever legislation to fix the problem was voted on, among other things.

(*cough* John McCain *cough*)
Yet I remember Trump signing every bloated budget without any new border funding, cuts to PP, and the last one that let states opt out of the wall.  I remember a Congress that passed a tax-cut and lots of judges.  Who is rewriting history?

Offline Mod2

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Yet I remember Trump signing every bloated budget without any new border funding, cuts to PP, and the last one that let states opt out of the wall.  I remember a Congress that passed a tax-cut and lots of judges.  Who is rewriting history?

With a debt ceiling gun held to his head and a complicit Congressional GOP.

So you admit Trump has gotten some things done?

Thanks for making my point.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Night Hides Not

The debt ceiling "gun" has turned into...

An empty one at that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:51:56 pm by Mod2 »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Trump has gotten some things done.  Not enough, and some of it bad stuff.

Robert Schlesinger @rschles

I’m old enough to remember when Republicans thought increasing taxes was a mortal sin. But I guess when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Robert Schlesinger @rschles

I’m old enough to remember when Republicans thought increasing taxes was a mortal sin. But I guess when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Yes, that is very disturbing long-term trend.

Offline Applewood

That's a nice rewrite of history, but I seem to remember a Republican Congress and particularly Senate that would barely work with him and peel off to the other side whenever legislation to fix the problem was voted on, among other things.

(*cough* John McCain *cough*)

And I remember from just about the first day of his administration, Trump bitched and moaned about the Republicans in both houses, calling them names and not willing to work with them either.  This year he has had two "bipartisan" meetings that I know of where he whined and moaned, stomped his feet and ultimately walked out of because he didn't get his way. 

You can blame the lumps in  both houses of congress and I will acknowledge that they are corrupt, lazy and do nothing.  But Trump is no better.  All of them -- Trump and the Republicans had no intention of keeping their promises to the voters and still don't.  Now that Trump is nearing the end of his first term and wants a second, he is suddenly interested in the promises he made, particularly illegal immigration.  So he is making a lot of noise and doing things that have failed and will fail, with the result that all of us will be screwed.  You and your fellow Trump fans who think you are financially secure because Trump says so and won't heed the warnings of those who know better are in for a big, nasty surprise.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
And I remember from just about the first day of his administration, Trump bitched and moaned about the Republicans in both houses, calling them names and not willing to work with them either.  This year he has had two "bipartisan" meetings that I know of where he whined and moaned, stomped his feet and ultimately walked out of because he didn't get his way. 

You can blame the lumps in  both houses of congress and I will acknowledge that they are corrupt, lazy and do nothing.  But Trump is no better.  All of them -- Trump and the Republicans had no intention of keeping their promises to the voters and still don't.  Now that Trump is nearing the end of his first term and wants a second, he is suddenly interested in the promises he made, particularly illegal immigration.  So he is making a lot of noise and doing things that have failed and will fail, with the result that all of us will be screwed.  You and your fellow Trump fans who think you are financially secure because Trump says so and won't heed the warnings of those who know better are in for a big, nasty surprise.

Quite the opposite, he has been doing everything from the Executive angle that he can, despite the Judicial obstructing him at every turn.

At the end of the day, only the Legislative can make real change, and I don't see the GOP, other than Judicial nominations, putting up bills to solve this country's problems.

We do have separate-but-equal branches of govt, correct?
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

Quite the opposite, he has been doing everything from the Executive angle that he can, despite the Judicial obstructing him at every turn.

At the end of the day, only the Legislative can make real change, and I don't see the GOP, other than Judicial nominations, putting up bills to solve this country's problems.

Apparently now we do as opposed to the 8 years of obummer when he got whatever the F#%k he wanted AND ramrodded all the Courts to insure it.  I am not suggesting Trump pull an obummer BUT his Administration has left much to be desired for when it comes to implementing his policy, particularly before the Courts. 
   I'll rack it up to inexperience OR inability.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
   Apparently now we do as opposed to the 8 years of obummer when he got whatever the F#%k he wanted AND ramrodded all the Courts to insure it.  I am not suggesting Trump pull an obummer BUT his Administration has left much to be desired for when it comes to implementing his policy, particularly before the Courts. 

He's won quite a few court cases. Obama in fact lost quite a few.

Let's not forget the spike in 'nationwide injunctions' against Trump to drag things out as a liberal last-resort tactic.

Ultimately though, he prevails.
The Republic is lost.

He's won quite a few court cases. Obama in fact lost quite a few.

Let's not forget the spike in 'nationwide injunctions' against Trump to drag things out as a liberal last-resort tactic.

Ultimately though, he prevails.

https://www.propublica.org/article/president-donald-trump-losses-fred-barbash-washington-post-q-and-a

Federal judges have ruled against the Trump administration at least 63 times over the past two years, an extraordinary record of legal defeat that has stymied large parts of the president’s agenda on the environment, immigration and other matters.

so much winning.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
https://www.propublica.org/article/president-donald-trump-losses-fred-barbash-washington-post-q-and-a

Federal judges have ruled against the Trump administration at least 63 times over the past two years, an extraordinary record of legal defeat that has stymied large parts of the president’s agenda on the environment, immigration and other matters.

so much winning.

I'm sure the Washington Compost has unimpeachable numbers that aren't the least bit skewed to support their position.

But I'm sure you aren't interested in looking any deeper when shaking pom-poms are much more fun.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Both.  When Trump took office he was absolutely clueless.  The GOP has been FAILING for quite a long time.  They've had a majority for 4 years and sat on their butts and did nothing but blame the DEMS.  Should Trump get re-elected in 2020, I don't anticipate that things will get any better.  You cannot keep electing the same idiots that keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I'm sure the Washington Compost has unimpeachable numbers that aren't the least bit skewed to support their position.

But I'm sure you aren't interested in looking any deeper when shaking pom-poms are much more fun.

Nice of you to provide nothing to back up your position.  Good job.

Both.  When Trump took office he was absolutely clueless.  The GOP has been FAILING for quite a long time.  They've had a majority for 4 years and sat on their butts and did nothing but blame the DEMS.  Should Trump get re-elected in 2020, I don't anticipate that things will get any better.  You cannot keep electing the same idiots that keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
If only there was a candidate who promised to Drain the Swamp

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
Nice of you to provide nothing to back up your position.  Good job.

You mean like the fact that they admit that most are in the early stages and no guarantee of holding?

You mean like the fact that more nationwide injunctions have been issued against Trump than the rest of our nation's history?

Or the fact that most of the decisions were based on missteps in procedure, not the policy itself? Did they scrutinize Obama that much?

Nah, not skewed at all.
The Republic is lost.

Offline corbe

The 'Missteps in procedure' has absolutely killed his Administrative priorities and that is why I stated earlier either 'Inexperience or Inability'.  Someone wrote a very interesting, unbiased, article about that last year, I posted it here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

He has done nothing to work with congress to fulfill his promises.  Yes, congress has to prepare legislation, pass it and send it to his desk to sign.  But why didn't he, as president of the US, use the considerable influence of his office upon his own party, to sit down with them and hammer out the necessary legislation -- and, if necessary, hammer a few heads to get those lazy lumps moving?  As far as I can tell, he sat on his backside and waited for them to do their job.  Isn't he supposed to be the successful businessman with a reputation for  motivating people and getting things done? 

And don't tell me he can't do that because government is different from business.  He made promises.  They made promises.  If he wanted to fulfill those promises, he could have done more than he did.  Obviously, neither he nor the rest of them wanted to keep their promises to the voters.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
He has done nothing to work with congress to fulfill his promises.  Yes, congress has to prepare legislation, pass it and send it to his desk to sign.  But why didn't he, as president of the US, use the considerable influence of his office upon his own party, to sit down with them and hammer out the necessary legislation -- and, if necessary, hammer a few heads to get those lazy lumps moving?  As far as I can tell, he sat on his backside and waited for them to do their job.  Isn't he supposed to be the successful businessman with a reputation for  motivating people and getting things done? 

And don't tell me he can't do that because government is different from business.  He made promises.  They made promises.  If he wanted to fulfill those promises, he could have done more than he did.  Obviously, neither he nor the rest of them wanted to keep their promises to the voters.

Why should he have to? GOP Congressional leaders don't have to wait for him to get things done. If they were wanting to advance the agenda, bills should have been landing on his desk.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why should he have to? GOP Congressional leaders don't have to wait for him to get things done. If they were wanting to advance the agenda, bills should have been landing on his desk.
Exactly.  Some people need to be reminded how we get laws passed in this country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

It's also up to voters to get those people in there.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Offline Applewood

No, they should all be like the Democrats when they wanted Obamacare.  All of them, including Obama, worked to "git 'er done."  But since those Repubs in congress just wanted to sit on their rears and do nothing, Trump, the "boss" should have applied his reputed "boss" skills and got them moving.