Author Topic: June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

June 10th, United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into the US from Mexico
Donald J. Trump Twitter, May 30, 2019

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied,..

....at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow.

4:30 PM - 30 May 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1134240657621438464

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:24:14 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Trump says US will impose 5% tariff on all Mexican imports from June 10
CNBC, May 30, 2019

The U.S. will impose a 5% tariff on all Mexican imports from June 10 — and more duties will be added in the coming months if Mexico does not take action “to dramatically reduce or eliminate the number of illegal aliens” crossing into the U.S., the White House said Thursday.

It comes as U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer on Thursday sent a letter to congressional leaders, kick starting the process of approving updates to the North American Free Trade Agreement.

U.S. President Donald Trump first announced the Mexico tariffs via Twitter.

The United States imported $346.5 billion of goods in 2018, an increase of 10.3 percent over the year prior. The 2018 total accounted for 13.6 percent of overall U.S. imports that year.

“If the illegal migration crisis is alleviated through effective actions taken by Mexico, to be determined in our sole discretion and judgment, the Tariffs will be removed. If the crisis persists, however, the Tariffs will be raised to 10 percent on July 1, 2019,” the White House said.

“Tariffs will be increased to 15 percent on August 1, 2019, to 20 percent on September 1, 2019, and to 25 percent on October 1, 2019,” it added.

“Tariffs will permanently remain at the 25 percent level unless and until Mexico substantially stops the illegal inflow of aliens coming through its territory.”

More:  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/trump-says-us-will-impose-5percent-tariff-on-all-mexican-imports-from-june-10.html

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:25:07 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
IOW - another tax on the American consumer.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Wow a 2 front trade war.  What a dunce.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sounds good to me, except...

... They should have made it TEN percent, or Twelve.

... and then used the money raised for wall construction.

Offline libertybele

Get ready to readjust your budgets BIGLY!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

According to the Chamber of Commerce, 6 MILLION jobs depend on trade with Mexico.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/investing/mexico-tariffs-stock-reactions/index.html

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

From my understanding, if Mexico doesn't stop the influx of ILLEGALS, the tariff will continue to rise until it reaches 25% and stay there until such time as the invasion stops.

Offline edpc

From my understanding, if Mexico doesn't stop the influx of ILLEGALS, the tariff will continue to rise until it reaches 25% and stay there until such time as the invasion stops.

Why would they care?

A) They aren’t paying the tariffs

B) They’re getting rid of people they don’t want anyway.

Offline libertybele

Why would they care?

A) They aren’t paying the tariffs

B) They’re getting rid of people they don’t want anyway.

...hmm.... according to Politco, Trump's trade war with China is actually set to make Mexico great .... perhaps the tariff on Mexico has another objective.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/16/trumps-trade-war-is-making-mexico-great-226876

Offline LMAO

There goes your tax cut
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Victoria33

@libertybele

Hi, Liberty.  I am at my small computer in the kitchen right now and it is limited.  Tomorrow, I'll be in my work area where the "boss" computer is, and will put, on this thread, to you, an explanation of how tariffs work.  The Forbes Company wrote this and explains in detail how you and I (and everyone else) will pay the tariff put on Chinese goods, Mexican goods, coming to this country. This Forbes piece also explains in detail what happens when a tariff is put on American companies' products going into China and into Mexico.  There is much misinformation about tariffs and it helps to know how it really works.

@edpc Hi, edpc.  I'll ping you to the info. I put on tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:48:57 am by Victoria33 »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@libertybele

Hi, Liberty.  I am at my small computer in the kitchen right now and it is limited.  Tomorrow, I'll be in my work area where the "boss" computer is, and will put, on this thread, to you, an explanation of how tariffs work.  The Forbes Company wrote this and explains in detail how you and I (and everyone else) will pay the tariff put on Chinese goods, Mexican goods, coming to this country. This Forbes piece also explains in detail what happens when a tariff is put on American companies' products going into China and into Mexico.  There is much misinformation about tariffs and it helps to know how it really works.

@edpc Hi, edpc.  I'll ping you to the info. I put on tomorrow.

We just cant wait for you to post your information on how it "really works"  Please ping me when you post the Forbes propaganda.  Thank you.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

...hmm.... according to Politco, Trump's trade war with China is actually set to make Mexico great .... perhaps the tariff on Mexico has another objective.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/16/trumps-trade-war-is-making-mexico-great-226876

On top of that, the USMCA seems to be poised to benefit Mexico and Canada, more than the USA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/10/01/comparison-nafta-and-usmca-trade-agreements/1487163002/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

On top of that, the USMCA seems to be poised to benefit Mexico and Canada, more than the USA.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/10/01/comparison-nafta-and-usmca-trade-agreements/1487163002/

Can we put lipstick on a pig?  This is Trumps answer?  Memorial Day was a record setter at the border.  Never before 202,000 illegals crossed.  Well probably more that is just the number they caught. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Can we put lipstick on a pig?  This is Trumps answer?  Memorial Day was a record setter at the border.  Never before 202,000 illegals crossed.  Well probably more that is just the number they caught.

A new record.  Even more winning! 

Offline edpc

We just cant wait for you to post your information on how it "really works"  Please ping me when you post the Forbes propaganda.  Thank you.

If you’re not interested in what Forbes has to say about it, perhaps you’ll listen to the advice Trump’s economic adviser tried to give him, prior to joining the administration and having a coronary.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow-mr-president-tariffs-are-really-tax-hikes.html

Offline Chosen Daughter

A new record.  Even more winning!

If that's winning I want to lose.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

If you’re not interested in what Forbes has to say about it, perhaps you’ll listen to the advice Trump’s economic adviser tried to give him, prior to joining the administration and having a coronary.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow-mr-president-tariffs-are-really-tax-hikes.html

Farmers Are 'Losing Their Patience' With Donald Trump Over China Trade Deal, GOP Senator Says
By Shane Croucher On 5/8/19 at 6:36 AM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-china-trade-war-farmers-losing-patience-tariffs-1418947

Offline kevindavis007

So you like higher taxes?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Applewood

In another thread I was told to stop worrying about this trade war; everything is fine; I'm just too stupid to understand the stock market and the economy; this is going to make America great again.  Or something.

The man child in the White House is screwing us, including the ones who elected him.  And his fans aren't smart enough to realize it.

Reading through the replies it appears many in favor of stopping the invasion on our Southern border should consider a run for Congress.  They can raise the proverbial sword of Damocles during the campaign, but once elected these same few could block initiatives to make an end run around the courts and actually do something.  It's a natural fit. 

In another thread I was told to stop worrying about this trade war; everything is fine; I'm just too stupid to understand the stock market and the economy; this is going to make America great again.  Or something.

The man child in the White House is screwing us, including the ones who elected him.  And his fans aren't smart enough to realize it.

For cripes' sake, it's too damned early for such ginned up hyperbole.

Last night, just hours after the President's tweet, Mexico requested a meeting for today with the administration to discuss how best to prevent the tariffs. 

“Mexico’s President Lopez Obrador asks Trump to have U.S. officials meet with the Mexican foreign minister in Washington on Friday to seek a solution that benefits both nations,” Reuters reported via twitter.

It appears the President now has Mexico's undivided attention.  (This is good news)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:01:18 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

This will hurt both consumers and investors.   But the root cause is neither Congress nor the courts will lift a finger to help.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

This will hurt both consumers and investors.   But the root cause is neither Congress nor the courts will lift a finger to help.   

Yes...but through all of this Trump and family will profit.