Author Topic: Here’s the damage done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5 trade tweet  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Applewood

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Angel food!

Only if it is covered in my mother's syrup with sliced strawberries.  LOL

Geez.  Just thinking about cake and my mother's strawberry syrup concoction makes my blood glucose rise.   happy77

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Only if it is covered in my mother's syrup with sliced strawberries.  LOL

Geez.  Just thinking about cake and my mother's strawberry syrup concoction makes my blood glucose rise.   happy77

What ever helps us gets thru the night my friend!    888high58888

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
We are now less than 4% from the all time highs.

Oh noes.

Jumps from the windows.

Oh noes.
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

Oh noes.

Jumps from the windows.

Oh noes.

I knew a gal who lived high up on a hill
Every Friday night, she'd give my heart a thrill
One night I came a-callin', I ran down the hill a-bawlin'
Cause she'd run off with some old fart named Bill

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Oh noes.

Jumps from the windows.

Oh noes.

For months just below 26,000.

Pretty close to that now, after the recent drama.

If one can't stand the fluctuation, a good time to sell out and hold cash.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Not quite.  The market jumps were due in part, to some optimism that the Mexico tarriffs might not happen because of some possible progress in negotiations between the US and Mexico.  Another factor had to do with a possible rollback of interest rates by the feds. 

But when the negotiations fall apart and this supposed interest rate rollback doesn't happen, the markets will be down again.
I guess the non-answer from you is to remain in in the wrong. Like Teddy Kennedy voting, he was wrong 99% of the time but fell good about it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

I guess the non-answer from you is to remain in in the wrong. Like Teddy Kennedy voting, he was wrong 99% of the time but fell good about it.

What non-answer?  You said the market rise as due to Trump heating up the trade war and I said it was due to some optimism that a trade war with Mexico might be averted (plus some story that interest rates would drop).  Now who is right and who is wrong can be questioned, but I certainly did not give you a non-answer. 

It was just an answer that was contrary to the Trump agenda and as a Trump fan, you rejected it outright s you have been told to do.

What non-answer?  You said the market rise as due to Trump heating up the trade war and I said it was due to some optimism that a trade war with Mexico might be averted (plus some story that interest rates would drop).  Now who is right and who is wrong can be questioned, but I certainly did not give you a non-answer. 

It was just an answer that was contrary to the Trump agenda and as a Trump fan, you rejected it outright s you have been told to do.
Looking at facts is what I do, whereas you merely speculate wildly.

Same as the difference between conservatives and liberals.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

Looking at facts is what I do, whereas you merely speculate wildly.

Same as the difference between conservatives and liberals.

What I posted comes from people I trust to know the markets and the economy in general -- more so than I do.  I get this information daily  from the managers of my nest egg and they in turn get it from various market and economy news sources.  If you wish, I can endeavor to locate those sources and provide you with links.

Offline truth_seeker

But to Hold. Never Sell. Diversify. Don't panic.

If you did panic in 1929, 1987, 2009 and sold you were much worse off, than if you just held on.

The DJIA was about 17,900 the first week of Nov. 2016 (election). Versus about 26,000 this morning.

Up 45%

UP 45 effing PERCENT.

Donald Trump has been extraordinarily good for your NESTEGG

If your TDS prevents you from judging this to be a good thing, you need more than investment advice.

What I posted comes from people I trust to know the markets and the economy in general -- more so than I do.  I get this information daily  from the managers of my nest egg and they in turn get it from various market and economy news sources.  If you wish, I can endeavor to locate those sources and provide you with links.
I'd daresay that some may know their way around the intricacies of the stock market, but if they have been blogging that the stock market is failing recently, facts do not bear them out. 

And they might be a bit too short term, appealing to people who buy and sell every week.

From your comments, it appears you might be like me, looking at the market for retirement, meaning the fruits of the investments over years, not short term.   Most people looking at building a retirement portfolio do not buy and sell very often, certainly not every week.

Those advisors may not be the ones to advise on a retirement portfolio.

Offline Applewood

Just saw a news flash from Reuters that a deal has been reached and the tariffs on Mexico have ben called off.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Just saw a news flash from Reuters that a deal has been reached and the tariffs on Mexico have ben called off.

Just saw it on FNC.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Since the Dow is up since May 5, the headline should read

Here’s the damage benefit done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

So far, the markets have always come back over the long term.  The question is, do you have that long?  IMO, the markets are so far disconnected from reality that I don't if they decide to reconnect (more likely overcorrect) in any way other than just going sideways for 10-20 years. 

Out of curiosity, I charted S&P 500 vs US GDP since 1929 in an attempt to gauge market vs underlying economic performance.  I know the comparison has some weaknesses, such as companies in the 500 also doing business overseas, but I think it should be close enough for an estimate. 

Note: the chart ends Jan 1, 2019.  A bit off topic then, but I thought some might find it interesting.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 02:37:31 am by InHeavenThereIsNoBeer »
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

Since the Dow is up since May 5, the headline should read

Here’s the damage benefit done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5

The OP @Applewood wrote on May 30:

"Ok.  Waiting for scoffing by Trump fans in 3...2...1...  But note that this "trade war" is adversely affecting other aspects of the market and the global economy too.  If you think your nest egg is ok because you aren't  heavily invested in stocks, think again."

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
This headline is getting dated...S&P is within 2.2% of May 5th # at the close today...with the Mexico-USA deal announced after the bell today I would expect the S&P to be ahead of where it was on May 5 by several percentage points after Monday. (Futures up 1.12% at about 10pm PDT).

Where are the chicken littles while the DOW is chasing a record closing?

Online Wingnut

Where are the chicken littles while the DOW is chasing a record closing?

Selling their stocks and taking profits!... 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The S&P is now 1.3% below it's all-time high.

Oh noes.

The skies is falling.

Oh noes.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Selling their stocks and taking profits!...

It's why we have a Castle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: