Author Topic: Here’s the damage done to the stock market since Trump’s May 5 trade tweet  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
And, yet another "orange man bad" thread. 

Online libertybele

Prudent behavior, seeking long term investment returns instead of short term.

I have read a number of articles which claim the first several years after retirement one is the most vulnerable since wages are no longer coming in and one is dependent upon an income stream from your savings/investments.  There are a number of actions you can take to prepare for the worst during this time while retaining significant investments for the long term return.

Hopefully what we've done will prove wise over the long term. We have assets set aside; some invested.  We have no debt.  We sold our home and downsized into something affordable.  We have a stockpile of food and paper goods if needed.  We can go without new clothes, eating out, vacations, etc. etc.  Never ever expected to retire rich, our only hope is to be comfortable and if we are lucky; age in place.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

And, yet another "orange man bad" thread.

It balances al those His-Majesty-Grand-Exalted-Poobah-Donald-Trump-Is-The-Greatest-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread threads.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It balances al those His-Majesty-Grand-Exalted-Poobah-Donald-Trump-Is-The-Greatest-Thing-Since-Sliced-Bread threads.

You made my point.  Both of them are equally stupid and nauseating.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Hopefully what we've done will prove wise over the long term. We have assets set aside; some invested.  We have no debt.  We sold our home and downsized into something affordable.  We have a stockpile of food and paper goods if needed.  We can go without new clothes, eating out, vacations, etc. etc.  Never ever expected to retire rich, our only hope is to be comfortable and if we are lucky; age in place.
Every word you said makes you seemingly well-planned, unlike many of the snowflakes who spend it all and will have their hands out waiting for the government to give them something.

In my own case, I have some land that I can grow potatoes on if need be.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

In my own case, I have some land that I can grow potatoes on if need be.

I Have an interest in a dental floss farm in Montana.   All I need now is some Zircon-encrusted tweezers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LegalAmerican

So your personal TDS requires that you connect the market, to him?

Funny thing I learned decades ago: markets go up and down. Expansions do end.

THANK YOU!  When the market is good..IT IS NEVER TO PRESIDENT TRUMPS CREDIT.  Funny how that works.

When market goes down....'his fault"... 

Kids in kindergarten should know by now.  MARKET GOES UP & DOWN.....DAILY. 

I Have an interest in a dental floss farm in Montana.   All I need now is some Zircon-encrusted tweezers.
Have never eaten those.

How do they taste?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Have never eaten those.

How do they taste?

Stringy.

Duh...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Online libertybele

Market is up today over 500 pts.  Gold is up.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

Market is up today over 500 pts.  Gold is up.

Market is up today, presumably because of "hopes for a cut in interest rates and for a resolution in the U.S.-Mexico trade dispute..."  according to the Associated Press. 

Tomorrow Trump will heat up his trade war and the markets will plunge again. 

Online Wingnut

Market is up today, presumably because of "hopes for a cut in interest rates and for a resolution in the U.S.-Mexico trade dispute..."  according to the Associated Press. 

Your glass seems to always be half empty.

Offline Applewood

Your glass seems to always be half empty.

Nope.  Just know that he will find a way to screw things up.  He always does. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He hardly screws things up. We are having a period of prosperity and relative peace.

I hope we heat up the trade war with China, who have been taking advantage of us for years as we contemplate the Tiananmen Square massacre on this day, huge human rights abusers. I hope we withdraw trade from Cuba, a deal that never should have gone through either.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Hardly, you are just libeling others. In this manner, that's pretty bad.
Libel:

a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.Compare with slander.

I probably do the same, maybe we all do.

Offline Applewood

So are you going to encourage your hero to take me to court?  Good luck with that.   :silly:

Methinks this "Trump Derangement Syndrome" his fans talk about actually applies to them.

Online Wingnut

What you say is total Feldercarb. 

You are just out there drumming up BS.

Trump has been talking about improving our trade imbalance by tariffs since he got elected.  And he has acted on it.

And what has the stock market done?

The DOW was 17,888 on November 4, 2016 and today stands at 25,332.

A little reminder:  It reacts to expectations of what will happen in the future for the most part, so any of these potential actions by Trump are likely already factored in.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Nah.  What we say and do there doesn't damage any reputations beyond damaging each other's.  that's why we (and most other fora) don't like personal attacks on Members.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

Really?   Do tell.  Oh wait...Yes you will.  ;)

Well, he did heat it up and guess what?  Dow is up over 900 pts so far this week.

How long do you keep posting prognostications decidedly wrong?

Online corbe

So are you going to encourage your hero to take me to court?  Good luck with that.   :silly:

Methinks this "Trump Derangement Syndrome" his fans talk about actually applies to them.

I find your concept fascinating @Applewood  (no sarcasm intended or implied).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

Well, he did heat it up and guess what?  Dow is up over 900 pts so far this week.

How long do you keep posting prognostications decidedly wrong?

Not quite.  The market jumps were due in part, to some optimism that the Mexico tarriffs might not happen because of some possible progress in negotiations between the US and Mexico.  Another factor had to do with a possible rollback of interest rates by the feds. 

But when the negotiations fall apart and this supposed interest rate rollback doesn't happen, the markets will be down again.

Online Wingnut

Not quite.  The market jumps were due in part, to some optimism that the Mexico tarriffs might not happen because of some possible progress in negotiations between the US and Mexico.  Another factor had to do with a possible rollback of interest rates by the feds. 

But when the negotiations fall apart and this supposed interest rate rollback doesn't happen, the markets will be down again.

LOL  You really take the cake.