Author Topic: Port of Corpus Christi begins $380 million project to deepen ship channel  (Read 638 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Sergio Chapa May 29, 2019

The Port of Corpus Christi has started work on a $380 million project to deepen and widen its ship channel to allow for two-way supertanker traffic. The project should be completed in 2022.

Port officials and community leaders held a Wednesday morning ceremony where dignitaries pulled on levers to signal the beginning of the ambitious dredging project.

Crews with Illinois-based Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. will begin deepening the Corpus Christi Ship Channel to 54 feet from 47 and widen it to 530 feet from 400.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Port-of-Corpus-Christi-begins-380-million-13904262.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I hope that bridge is tall enough
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Good to hear.

I rode over that bridge many times on the way to work way back when.  It is good size, but did not think it was big enough for the monster tankers.

The current Harbor Bridge

Built  1956-1959

Clearance  138 feet above the water

The replacement Harbor Bridge

Main span length   1,661 feet

Clearance  205 feet above the water

https://www.caller.com/story/news/local/harbor-bridge/2018/07/19/harbor-bridge-project-whats-gone-whats-next-corpus-christi-texas/753247002/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Big bridges and tunnels are fascinating.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

If I could live my life all over
It wouldn't matter anyway
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay

If I could live my life all over
It wouldn't matter anyway
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay
Those lyrics by Robert Earl Keen remind me of my tender years living as a bachelor down there, living along the Bay in an apartment.

Am glad I changed for the better, but both Nueces and Corpus Christi Bay remain as pretty as ever.