Author Topic: China Threatens to ‘Weaponize’ Rare Earths in Trade War Escalation  (Read 3643 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

China might “weaponize” its dominance of rare earth metals in an escalation of the trade war with the U.S., a state-controlled Chinese tabloid reported Tuesday.
Update: The Financial Times and others have confirmed the threat from China’s powerful state planner.

“China’s powerful planning body has threatened to use rare earths exports as leverage in the trade war with the US, in a sign of increasing tensions between the two powers,” the Financial Times reported.

Just over a week after a visit to a rare earths facility by Chinese leader Xi Jinping prompted speculation that China could attempt to use its near monopoly as leverage in the ongoing trade dispute, the Chinese nationalist Global Times reported that a statement made Tuesday by a government official “sends an implicit signal that China does not hesitate using rare earths as a weapon against the US amid the escalating trade war and US containment of Huawei.”

“If any country wants to use products made of China’s rare earth exports to contain China’s development, the Chinese people would not be happy with that,”  a spokesperson from the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), China’s state planner, said, according to the Global Times.

The report describes “scaling down” rare-earth exports to the U.S. as a “smart hit” to the U.S. economy, citing a so-called independent analyst named Wu Chenhui. U.S. companies depend on rare earths for a variety of consumer goods and military equipment, including cell phones, automobiles, and guided missiles. China controls 96 percent of global production of rare earths.

“It could inflict substantial damage on the US military and tech industry, as rare earths are a key material in manufacturing chips, radar, fiber optics, night vision goggles, missile guiding systems, and tank armor,” Wu tells the Global Times. “Just name a few big name US companies like Apple, Qualcomm and Raytheon… they could suffer a lot from the countermeasures.”

American Elements chief executive Michael Silver last week explained on CNBC that one way China could weaponize rare earths against the U.S. would be to “charge a much lower price within China than they price they are charging outside of China.” That would penalize companies that manufacture outside of China and discourage companies from moving production due to higher U.S. tariffs.

Silver points out that China did this in the past but was stopped by the World Trade Organization. He thinks China could be tempted to leave the WTO in the future and implement the discriminatory pricing once again.
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2019/05/28/weaponize-rare-earth/
WW2 was begun by Japan and Germany over access to scarce resources.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Some of the 'rare earth elements' and what they are used for.

What are 'rare earths' used for?
"Rare earths" are a group of 17 chemically similar elements crucial to the manufacture of many hi-tech products. Despite their name, most are abundant in nature but are hazardous to extract. Most "rare earth" elements have uses in several different fields, as well as those listed below.
Neodymium
This is used to make powerful magnets used in loudspeakers and computer hard drives to enable them to be smaller and more efficient. Magnets containing neodymium are also used in green technologies such as the manufacture of wind turbines and hybrid cars.
Lanthanum
This element is used in camera and telescope lenses. Compounds containing lanthanum are used extensively in carbon lighting applications, such as studio lighting and cinema projection.
Cerium
Used in catalytic converters in cars, enabling them to run at high temperatures and playing a crucial role in the chemical reactions in the converter. Lanthanum and cerium are also used in the process of refining crude oil.
Praseodymium
Used to create strong metals for use in aircraft engines. Praseodymium is also a component of a special sort of glass, used to make visors to protect welders and glassmakers.
Gadolinium
Used in X-ray and MRI scanning systems, and also in television screens. Research is also being done into its possible use in developing more efficient refrigeration systems.
Yttrium, terbium, europium
Important in making televisions and computer screens and other devices that have visual displays as they are used in making materials that give off different colours. Europium is also used in making control rods in nuclear reactors.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-17357863
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
We had better start scouting around for sources other than China for these things.

I'm wondering how much of this stuff may be recoverable on the North American continent... IF we have the will to locate it and then MINE and process it once found...?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They could kneecap us pretty good if they followed thru.

I'm suprised they pulled this card. Can't always tell if they are scared or cocky, but the fact that they did is ominous.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The elements themselves are quite common. It’s just the concentrations that make them economical to mine that are rare. There is a potential to extract them from mining spoils, but it would take time to ramp up the capability.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline thackney

Alaska remains a potential source for critical rare earth elements as trade dispute with China escalates
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2018/08/03/alaska-remains-a-potential-source-for-critical-rare-earth-elements-as-trade-dispute-with-china-escalates/

Rare earth elements really aren't that rare; they're just rarely mined.

Many in Washington, D.C., particularly those in the Defense Department, see this as a major looming issue....

...As seems to be the case with most mineral commodities, Alaska holds its own rare earth resources.

The most notable deposit is the Bokan Mountain prospect that Nova Scotia-based Ucore Rare Metals Inc. explored until 2015. The prospect on southern Prince of Wales Island is approximately 40 percent heavy rare earths, according to Ucore, which are the hardest to come by. Overall, it holds roughly 5 million tons of ore with rare earth concentrations of 0.65 percent, according to the company.

Kreiner said rare earths occur across the state but the viability of mining them other places is largely unknown simply because they haven't been explored.

"Bokan Mountain is the only quote-unquote deposit in Alaska. So whether it's a deposit or an occurrence is really an economic definition. Basically, it becomes a deposit when it's concentrated to the point that it can be extracted," he said....

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Alaska's rare earth deposits and resource potential
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70044949

Alaska’s known mineral endowment includes some of the largest and highest grade deposits of various metals, including gold, copper and zinc. Recently, Alaska has also been active in the worldwide search for sources of rare earth elements (REE) to replace exports now being limited by China. Driven by limited supply of the rare earths, combined with their increasing use in new ‘green’ energy, lighting, transportation, and many other technological applications, the rare earth metals neodymium, europium and, in particular, the heavy rare earth elements terbium, dysprosium and yttrium are forecast to soon be in critical short supply (U.S. Department of Energy, 2010).....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

The elements themselves are quite common. It’s just the concentrations that make them economical to mine that are rare. There is a potential to extract them from mining spoils, but it would take time to ramp up the capability.
From what I understand, they are not mined specifically, but are found when mining other resources as they are separated.

Online rustynail

"Alaska's rare earth deposits and resource potential",  Will be blocked by a Federal Judge?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
We had better start scouting around for sources other than China for these things.

I'm wondering how much of this stuff may be recoverable on the North American continent... IF we have the will to locate it and then MINE and process it once found...?
With as much electronic junk waste as there is out there, recycling has to be a viable option at this point.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
This is the last scorched earth trump card that the Chicoms have.  (and to certain degree bond withdrawal)

Hopefully DJT and his economist are planning  emergency contingency plans as we speak

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Hypotetical to the others on this thread.

(1) If we win this trade war does communism survive there?

(2) Does this thing escalate to a shooting war?

(3) Do we blink first and back down?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

China and other parts of Southeast Asia dominate both the mining and processing of rare earths. The country accounted for 71% of the world’s rare earths mined last year, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Australia and the U.S. were distant runners up, together producing less than a third of China’s 120,000 metric tons. The U.S. relied on China for about four of every five tons of rare-earths imports between 2014 and 2017 and last year purchased $160 million-worth, up 17% from a year earlier. Outside of China, the world’s other large reserves of rare earths can be found in Brazil, Vietnam and Russia. A slump in prices in recent years has made opening up new sources unappealing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/rare-earths-the-us-china-trade-war-and-your-phone/2019/05/20/b4eabdc6-7b43-11e9-b1f3-b233fe5811ef_story.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

I’m not sure if communism really exists there anymore, except in name only. Seems like more of an authoritarian system with some capitalism allowed. Historically, trade wars often lead to hot wars. It does not mean this one will, but it has the potential. Mostly, that will be over regions of influence, specifically the South China Sea. Whether we ‘back down’ will be subjective.  This president likes to talk a big game, but I don’t think he is willing to begin a shooting war. The military action he has taken (against Syrian WMDs for example) has been fairly scaled down and not particularly effective. Whatever compromise is reached, it will naturally be the greatest thing ever done. If you took a good look at the USMCA, it’s not the great deal it’s reported to be.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@thackney @edpc @IsailedawayfromFR  @Fishrrman  @catfish1957

Gee, golly, who didn't see this coming.

The over-regulated USA done did it to themselves. Way to go enviroweenies. China doesn't give a flying RA about environmental concerns.

The U.S. has more rare earths than China.

"China Ahead of the Rare Earths Curve

You might wonder how we could have been in this position in the first place. It has a lot to do with China being decades ahead of the global curve when it comes to understanding the strategic importance of rare earths.

Since the 1960's, China has placed great emphasis on research and development on improving efficiency to recover REMs. That increased the nation's competitive advantage over time and propelled China into the virtual sole provider of REMs of the world.

"The Middle East has its oil, China has rare earth."

Deng Xiaoping predicted in 1987 that the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region would very likely be 'in the front ranks' of development. Deng was quoted as saying "中東有石油,中國有稀土." (The Middle East has its oil, China has rare earth) in a speech he made in January 1992 during his Southern Tour."

From this 2010 article: (there are older ones)

Seventeen Metals: “The Middle East has oil, China has rare earth”

https://www.businessinsider.com/seventeen-metals-the-middle-east-has-oil-china-has-rare-earth-2011-1

Here is the problem. THERE IS NO LONGER ANY INFRASTRUCTURE TO MINE IN THE U.S. IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GET IT GOING AFTER, IF EVER, THEY LET THEM MINE IT HERE.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It's odd but I know I recently read an article about there being high concentrations of REE in mine runoffs but all I can find now is this article from a year ago.

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/acid-mine-drainage-yields-valuable-rare-earth-elements/article_79b85ed0-ea94-52e0-a7d3-dcc0e00227ae.html

Maybe China doesn't have as strong a hand as they think they do.

Offline edpc

It's odd but I know I recently read an article about there being high concentrations of REE in mine runoffs but all I can find now is this article from a year ago.

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/acid-mine-drainage-yields-valuable-rare-earth-elements/article_79b85ed0-ea94-52e0-a7d3-dcc0e00227ae.html

Maybe China doesn't have as strong a hand as they think they do.

Sure they do. The REEs might be here, in those spoil tips, but the methods and facilities don’t exist on an industrial scale. We also have a great deal of shale oil. However, our refineries are geared more toward processing cheap, high sulfur crude, from the ME. It takes time to get the capability to use and produce the resources. The present need remains constant.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

1) No one wins a trade war.  Everyone loses.  By definition.

2) No.

3) Don't know, don't care, so long as this nonsense ends soon.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Sure they do. The REEs might be here, in those spoil tips, but the methods and facilities don’t exist on an industrial scale. We also have a great deal of shale oil. However, our refineries are geared more toward processing cheap, high sulfur crude, from the ME. It takes time to get the capability to use and produce the resources. The present need remains constant.
But it looks like the methods and facilities are on their way

chrome-extension://ilhapdfjlmhfdgdbefpinebijmhjijpn/https://www.energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=AC6480D2-9A7F-4160-BE77-086CC84C7489

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@thackney @edpc @IsailedawayfromFR  @Fishrrman  @catfish1957

Gee, golly, who didn't see this coming.

The over-regulated USA done did it to themselves. Way to go enviroweenies. China doesn't give a flying RA about environmental concerns.

The U.S. has more rare earths than China.

"China Ahead of the Rare Earths Curve

You might wonder how we could have been in this position in the first place. It has a lot to do with China being decades ahead of the global curve when it comes to understanding the strategic importance of rare earths.

Since the 1960's, China has placed great emphasis on research and development on improving efficiency to recover REMs. That increased the nation's competitive advantage over time and propelled China into the virtual sole provider of REMs of the world.

"The Middle East has its oil, China has rare earth."

Deng Xiaoping predicted in 1987 that the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region would very likely be 'in the front ranks' of development. Deng was quoted as saying "中東有石油,中國有稀土." (The Middle East has its oil, China has rare earth) in a speech he made in January 1992 during his Southern Tour."

From this 2010 article: (there are older ones)

Seventeen Metals: “The Middle East has oil, China has rare earth”

https://www.businessinsider.com/seventeen-metals-the-middle-east-has-oil-china-has-rare-earth-2011-1

Here is the problem. THERE IS NO LONGER ANY INFRASTRUCTURE TO MINE IN THE U.S. IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GET IT GOING AFTER, IF EVER, THEY LET THEM MINE IT HERE.
You nailed it, Fred.
It isn't a question of the resources being here, it is a question of being able to get them out of the ground. We have been so overrun with 'don't touch the Earth' types that it is simply easier and less expensive to rely on other sources rather than develop our own resources.
You also correctly point out that the folks who mine, engineer the mines and processing plants to refine ore into finished product don't just pop up overnight. The upshot being that centuries of experience mining are lost, languishing in other jobs as our mines, factories, mills, timber operations, etc. have been shut down, and that aging brain trust, experience, and knowledge lost to time as the capable people who were unemployed die off.
It's the unseen effect of letting the greenies stand in the way of every resource development project, overregulation, and mismanagement, often at the government level, by those with an environmentalist agenda.
These things can be done in a way that is compatible with nature, messy perhaps in the short term, but in the long run, relatively harmless. We can do that better that ever before.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

You nailed it, Fred. It isn't a question of the resources being here, it is a question of being able to get them out of the ground. We have been so overrun with 'don't touch the Earth' types that it is simply easier and less expensive to rely on other sources rather than develop our own resources.

It isn’t a question of tree hugging, it’s a question of if you want a return to times when river fires were not unusual and expected, if you want to live in a development, built upon a toxic dump, or the days when we had modern China’s air quality. This type of industry has blowback. You can either have a cheap product, with real environmental consequences or a more expensive, cleaner process, with real economic consequences.

Cuyahoga River Fire

https://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/63

Love Canal: A Brief History

https://www.geneseo.edu/history/love_canal_history

The pictures of bygone Pittsburgh and its residents choking under clouds of thick smog

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2155742/Hell-lid-taken-The-pictures-bygone-Pittsburgh-residents-choking-clouds-smog.html

The shale oil we have produces a light, sweet hydrocarbon in demand in many places in the world, meaning we can export and make money.  Are you saying that it is bad for the US to export and lower our trade deficit?

And our refineries are processing cheap high sulfur crude as indeed it is cheap to purchase on the world market compared to the sweet low sulfur liquids.  Once again, how is that bad to buy the cheapest raw product? 

@edpc

Offline edpc

The shale oil we have produces a light, sweet hydrocarbon in demand in many places in the world, meaning we can export and make money.  Are you saying that it is bad for the US to export and lower our trade deficit?

And our refineries are processing cheap high sulfur crude as indeed it is cheap to purchase on the world market compared to the sweet low sulfur liquids.  Once again, how is that bad to buy the cheapest raw product? 

@edpc

We're discussing two different things. I'm talking about having the ability to achieve energy independence, in the event of an economic or full on shooting war. Without the expanded refining capabilities, we cannot.

We're discussing two different things. I'm talking about having the ability to achieve energy independence, in the event of an economic or full on shooting war. Without the expanded refining capabilities, we cannot.
You do realize, don't you that this country will never achieve what you call 'energy independence'?

It is a myth and can only be done through a severe retraction of our economy, which most certainly would never condone.