Author Topic: FNH SCAR 20S – One of the most Accurate Precision Gas Guns  (Read 972 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ammoland by Mike Searson May 27, 2019

FN Manufacturing has been producing quality firearms for close to 130 years. One of their latest civilian designs known as the FN SCAR (Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle) 20S boasts a proud US military background.

It is based on the FN MK20 SSR (Sniper Support Rifle) which is currently fielded as a Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) with USSOCOM (US Special Operations Command). The SSR, in turn, is based on the SCAR-17, FN's successful semi-auto rifle based on the SCAR-H (Heavy) or Mk17 also used by the US Military.

The SCAR-17 seems to be one of those rifles that shooters either love or hate. I never formed an opinion either way. I have always liked the looks of the rifle but heard it was extremely hard on optics. The price tag kept me away, but only because I have several rifles that can perform the same tasks. So, I walked into this review with a fairly open mind.

For a pistol grip, FN went with a rubber Hogue model with finger grooves. Controls are ambidextrous, and the reciprocating charging handle can be moved to either side of the receiver.

Keep in mind where you place your non-shooting hand while shooting or that reciprocating handle may bite you.
Differences between the SCAR 20S & the SCAR-17

The first thing that hit me about this rifle was its weight. It is a full three pounds heavier than the SCAR-17 coming in at 11.2 pounds. The stock does not fold like the SCAR-17'sand the receiver is longer as are the bottom and side rails. Instead of the folding stock, the SCAR 20S has a stock adjustable for length of pull and cheek rest height.

So, it may not be “just like a SCAR-17″, but it is almost exactly like its military counterpart, the SSR.

Noting that this is more of a precision rifle than a battle rifle, I checked out the barrel.

I am of the opinion that FN makes some of the best barrels in the world and they make barrels for a number of other firearms companies. The FN SCAR 20S sports a heavy contoured, cold-hammer forged, chrome lined 20″ barrel with a 1 in 12” twist. It is tipped with a three-prong flash suppressor threaded 5/8 X 20” and the barrel is free floated.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/fnh-scar-20s-one-of-the-most-accurate-precision-gas-guns/

My son has a SCAR-H and its a joy to shoot. He's been wanting to pick up another rifle, but 338Lapua or above.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer