Author Topic: TIME MAGAZINE COLUMNIST’S TRUMP QUOTE WENT VIRAL — THEN HE ADMITTED HE MADE IT UP  (Read 996 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

TIME MAGAZINE COLUMNIST’S TRUMP QUOTE WENT VIRAL — THEN HE ADMITTED HE MADE IT UP
Daily Caller, May 26, 2019,  Peter Hasson

Time Magazine columnist Ian Bremmer on Sunday tweeted a quote from President Donald Trump about North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un that quickly went viral — but it wasn’t real.

“President Trump in Tokyo: ‘Kim Jong Un is smarter and would make a better President than Sleepy Joe Biden.'” Bremmer wrote on Twitter.

While Trump did praise the North Korean dictator’s insult of former Vice President Joe Biden, the president never said what Bremmer quoted him saying — because Bremmer made it up.

Bremmer left the false tweet up for several hours before conceding he made up the quote and deleting the tweet, which he defended as “plausible.”

“This is objectively a completely ludicrous quote. And yet kinda plausible. Especially on twitter, where people automatically support whatever political position they have. That’s the point.” Bremmer wrote in a since-deleted correction.

Bremmer’s tweet went viral among Trump critics before he took it down.

More:  https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/26/ian-bremmer-fake-trump-quote/

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

.@ianbremmer now admits that he MADE UP “a completely ludicrous quote,” attributing it to me. This is what’s going on in the age of Fake News. People think they can say anything and get away with it. Really, the libel laws should be changed to hold Fake News Media accountable!

1:57 AM - 27 May 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1132933851133534210

Bill Cipher

Trump would be a very poor man if the libel laws were relaxed in the way he favors. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well,it is so rare for the left to admit they made something up that we have to give him kudos for doing so.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Trump would be a very poor man if the libel laws were relaxed in the way he favors.

@Bill Cipher

Let's see,here. A Time magazine reporter makes up a lie and reports it as the truth,and SOMEHOW this is Trumps fault?

You must be an Honor graduate of Troll School?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Bill Cipher

@Bill Cipher

Let's see,here. A Time magazine reporter makes up a lie and reports it as the truth,and SOMEHOW this is Trumps fault?

You must be an Honor graduate of Troll School?

I’m not talking about this instance, boy-o, but rather Trump’s own predilection for lying in general. 

I’m not talking about this instance, boy-o, but rather Trump’s own predilection for lying in general.

You are a very confused soul.   **nononono*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I watched this unfold on Twitter yesterday.  Pretty amazing.

Bill Cipher

Offline rustynail

"Fake, but Accurate".

No dearie, you are.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this, Sparky.  Ping me when you come up for air from your puddle of hate and we'll discuss.

Offline Mod2

Cut it out.  Take this elsewhere.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:30:18 pm by ABX »

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Sounds like Dan Rather is your hero.

What's the frequency Kenneth?
The Republic is lost.

Bill Cipher

Sounds like Dan Rather is your hero.

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Sounds like you don’t know what you’re talking about, and want to engage in ad hominems.  Can do. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sounds like you don’t know what you’re talking about, and want to engage in ad hominems.  Can do.

I'm not the one who seems to think journalists making up things about Republican presidents out of thin air is cool.
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I think some are just missing the irony as Trump has fabricated quotes out of thin air in his Twitter feed before, I posted just one example above.

This is a pot/kettle situation. Both sides deserve each other

Bill Cipher

I'm not the one who seems to think journalists making up things about Republican presidents out of thin air is cool.

I never said it was cool.  All I said was that Trump would himself be sued into penury if the libel laws were relaxed in the way he wants. 

Why don’t you try reading what I post, instead of just assuming you know what I “really” meant?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I never said it was cool.  All I said was that Trump would himself be sued into penury if the libel laws were relaxed in the way he wants. 

Why don’t you try reading what I post, instead of just assuming you know what I “really” meant?

Being a columnist or whatever for the NYT, tweeting a lie...a made-up 'quote' by the POTUS, which goes viral?

That is very serious.

A POTUS 'lying' about a person's intellect, or passion for the job?   

Not so much.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Why the arguin' with Mr. Cipher?
He's been on my ignore list for a LONG time now!