Author Topic: Jon Voight declares Trump 'the greatest president' since Lincoln  (Read 622 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
John Bowden
The Hill
May 25, 2019

Actor Jon Voight praised President Trump in a pair of videos on Friday, urging Republicans to support the president amid calls for impeachment from House Democrats while declaring Trump "the greatest president" since Abraham Lincoln.

The Oscar-winning actor, who has long voiced support for Trump, said in two videos posted to Twitter that Trump has his and other Republicans' "utmost respect and our love."

More, with video clips

Reader comments

Offline Absalom

Re: Jon Voight declares Trump 'the greatest president' since Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:38:19 pm »
And the greatest orator since Cicero.
And the greatest genius in a stable since Hopalong Cassidy.
And the greatest strategist since Julius Caesar.
And the greatest......................................

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:07:35 pm »
I don't agree and Voight's words are over the top, but then again, after hearing and seeing so many celebrities rend their garments over this president -- even threatening to leave the country (which they never do), it is refreshing to see some celebrities have positive things to say about a Republican president for a change.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:32:50 am »
Even though I think he's a little over the top on this one, it's too bad that Jon Voight didn't try to enter politics himself when he was younger, walking on the path that Reagan forged.

The same might be said for James Woods as well.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:54:56 am »
I don't agree and Voight's words are over the top, but then again, after hearing and seeing so many celebrities rend their garments over this president -- even threatening to leave the country (which they never do), it is refreshing to see some celebrities have positive things to say about a Republican president for a change.

For what reason besides his praise of Trump?  What has he done?  Trump just appointed him to Kennedy Center Board of Trustees.  It doesn't seem to take much to be considered a possible candidate for President.  There are a few Conservatives in Hollywood.  Maybe they all have potential?

Voight's daughter is political.  Liberal.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:56:16 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:29:18 am »
He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee greater than Muhammad Ali.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:14:27 am »
Really like John Voight, but better than Coolidge or Reagan?   Sure buddy.....   **nononono*
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 03:36:03 am »
Really like John Voight, but better than Coolidge or Reagan?   Sure buddy.....   **nononono*
Lincoln had no respect for the Constitution, so I understand the comparison.
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 03:07:14 pm »

Not that much of a fan.  Reagan was the beginning of mass amnesty.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:21:16 pm »
Even though I think he's a little over the top on this one, it's too bad that Jon Voight didn't try to enter politics himself when he was younger, walking on the path that Reagan forged.

The same might be said for James Woods as well.
Bear in mind that when Voight was younger he was quite the liberal and came to Conservatism later.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 07:30:59 pm »

Lincoln had tremendous respect...even adoration...for the Constitution. But he understood that if this great experiment in freedom and constitutional government were to fail, this nation and likely the world would sink back into its prior abyss of tyranny and despotism. Yes, he overstepped the strictures of the constitution in his efforts to preserve its spirit...akin to pulling your child out of a crosswalk to avoid an oncoming semi truck.

This modern meme that Lincoln disdained the Constitution has gained prominence amongst amateur historians/constitutional experts. Sadly. Wrongly. What Lincoln understood was that the Constitution itself is not the end goal of the "Great American Experiment", but rather, the preservation of representative governance is the goal. The Constitution is but a means in furtherance of that goal, rather than an end unto itself. Lincoln served the "end" (Representative government), while revering...and knowing when he must break from...the primary instrument (the Constitution) of achieving that goal .
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain