Author Topic: College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.  (Read 2674 times)

rangerrebew

College suspends young mother for posing with gun at gun range. She’s suing.
Greg Piper - Associate Editor •May 24, 2019

Florida’s First Coast Technical College has a low view of the U.S. and state constitutions, according to a federal lawsuit by a student who says she’s been suspended indefinitely.

Dia’mon Dallas is suing the Florida college for violating her First and Fourteenth Amendment rights and retaliating against her in violation of the Florida Constitution, the Jacksonville Daily Record reports.

The college, which is part of the St. Johns County School District, suspended Dallas after another student reported a Facebook photo of her and her fiance “holding legally purchased and lawfully possessed firearms at a gun range in Palatka,” according to the lawsuit:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/college-suspends-young-mother-for-posing-with-gun-at-gun-range-shes-suing/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
She was pointing the pistol at the camera.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Yeah thats no bueno.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

That's the thug life.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Cyber Liberty

So what? Was it unloaded? Did the person taking the photo ask her to do this?

After all,it's not like she was threatening anyone. It was a posed photo.

No,*I* would not purposely point even an unloaded firearm at anyone I didn't intend to shoot,but I also realize that a lot of other people do this as a joke of sorts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That's the thug life.

@The Ghost

Since she legally owned and was in legal possession of the gun,she doesn't live the "thug life". In fact,there is an EXCELLENT chance she owns the gun to protect herself from thugs.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@The Ghost

Since she legally owned and was in legal possession of the gun,she doesn't live the "thug life". In fact,there is an EXCELLENT chance she owns the gun to protect herself from thugs.

Only "thugs" point a gun at a person
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

So what? Was it unloaded? Did the person taking the photo ask her to do this?

After all,it's not like she was threatening anyone. It was a posed photo.

No,*I* would not purposely point even an unloaded firearm at anyone I didn't intend to shoot,but I also realize that a lot of other people do this as a joke of sorts.

@sneakypete

Unloaded?  Safely handling a gun means you always assume it's loaded.  In the article she states it was her idea because they wanted a "Bonnie and Clyde" picture.  She fancied herself a gangster.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline jpsb

@The Ghost

:thumbsup:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Even in jest.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
First of all, why the "young mother" in the headline?  What does that have to do with the story?  (Rhetorical question)

Secondly, it doesn't appear that the school suspended her because she was pointing a gun at a camera, they suspended her because she is in a photo with a (legally owned) gun.  I don't think that's going to hold up if she demands a hearing.

Thug life?  Looks like that's exactly what the school was assuming.  Fairly racist.

Bill Cipher

First of all, why the "young mother" in the headline?  What does that have to do with the story?  (Rhetorical question)

Secondly, it doesn't appear that the school suspended her because she was pointing a gun at a camera, they suspended her because she is in a photo with a (legally owned) gun.  I don't think that's going to hold up if she demands a hearing.

Thug life?  Looks like that's exactly what the school was assuming.  Fairly racist.

Completely agree. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Even in jest.

@Cyber Liberty @The Ghost

You need to get out more.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty @The Ghost

You need to get out more.

Uh....

We're out and about plenty, @sneakypete.  She was pointing the gun at the photographer.  It was a "thug photo," and that's what got her suspended.  People would be hopping mad about missing this cue if she ended up shooting up the campus.
I will NOT comply.

Offline The_Reader_David

But we cannot tell from either the photo or the article whether or not she was pointing a gun at a person, only that she was pointing it at the camera. I trust we are all aware that both many cell-phone cameras and most models of stand-alone digital cameras allow for photos to be taken using a timer.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Uh....

We're out and about plenty, @sneakypete.  She was pointing the gun at the photographer.  It was a "thug photo," and that's what got her suspended.  People would be hopping mad about missing this cue if she ended up shooting up the campus.

@Cyber Liberty

Jumping from her pointing a (most likely unloaded) gun at "the photographer",who is a friend of hers and not some anonymous photographer,and having this morph into her shooting up the campus is getting a little hysterical,ain't it?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:57:00 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Jumping from her pointing a (most likely unloaded) gun at "the photographer",who is a friend of hers and not some anonymous photographer,and having this morph into her shooting up the campus is getting a little hysterical,ain't it?

I agree it is a bit hysterical, a product of the times.  I didn't say I agreed with the suspension, I was just providing a little balance by casting some light on the thinking behind it.

Personally I think it's wrong-headed and reeks of censorship of activities outside of the campus.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I agree it is a bit hysterical, a product of the times.  I didn't say I agreed with the suspension, I was just providing a little balance by casting some light on the thinking behind it.

Personally I think it's wrong-headed and reeks of censorship of activities outside of the campus.

@Cyber Liberty

Seems to me that school may be on a track to take over control of the state.

Talk about power grabs!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Yeah, the photo was full Thug-life....

Yet, "Shall not be infringed" sorta trumps it... Hope she wins her case.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Bill Cipher

Does anyone even know if the camera was being held by someone, or if it was sitting on a tripod and either went off by timer or by remote control?  If that was the case, then she wasn’t pointing it at anyone at all.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Does anyone even know if the camera was being held by someone, or if it was sitting on a tripod and either went off by timer or by remote control?  If that was the case, then she wasn’t pointing it at anyone at all.

The story doesn't say.  Does it matter, really?
I will NOT comply.

Bill Cipher

The story doesn't say.  Does it matter, really?

It seems it would to those who have faulted her for pointing a gun at someone. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It seems it would to those who have faulted her for pointing a gun at someone.

I think you're correct about that...guilty as charged.  But could you agree that the gun-grabbers would have been all over that picture if she and her "fiance" decided to actually start shooting?  A "missed cue."
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm curious about the headline. What possible relevance could there be to emphasizing that she is a 'mother'?
I mean, so what? How does that impact the situation?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline LegalAmerican

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".
I haven't seen the picture...but did the camera guy say anything about where it was pointed?   Must have felt safe to take the picture.  Is the camera man..."indicted? "