Author Topic: Bill and Hillary Clinton’s Life in Exile: The Once-Powerful Political Couple Now Seeks Attention, Au  (Read 552 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Bill and Hillary Clinton’s Life in Exile: The Once-Powerful Political Couple Now Seeks Attention, Audience
Newsweek, May 23, 2019, Bill Powell

One evening earlier this year, an old friend and adviser to Bill and Hillary Clinton sat down with the former president for dinner at a quiet Manhattan restaurant. Bill, the friend says, looked thinner and more tired than he had in some time. He is 72 now, 15 years on from open-heart surgery and the complications that arose from it. He was, the friend says, a “bit sad, and more than a bit angry.”

The 2020 race for the White House was underway, and not many of the ever-expanding field of Democratic contenders had phoned him or come calling to discuss what it is like to run a presidential campaign. A lot of the contenders seemed to be scrambling to the left to satisfy the progressive wing of the party “and the angry Twitter-verse,” as Bill’s dinner companion puts it. “This guy’s political brain is still sharp—among the sharpest in the party—and he worries that [the Democratic Party] may be frittering away the chance it has to beat Trump next year.”

That’s where the anger comes in. And the sadness? “He realizes, politically, he’s in exile, and to some extent Hillary is too. This is a tough time for them.”

For reasons both political and personal, Bill and Hillary, the most powerful couple in the modern era of American politics, stand on the sidelines as one of the most important election cycles for Democrats unfolds. For the Clintons, this is the year the might-have-beens become especially painful. Just 80,000 votes in three traditionally Democratic states deprived them of the restoration: a return to the White House—with Hillary now “the Big Dog”—and a recapture of the leadership of their party.

They have been cast aside for obvious reasons. Democratic politics have changed markedly since the Clintons ruled Washington. The economic successes of the era were rooted in centrist policies: a balanced budget (agreed to in compromise with Republicans) and a commitment to free trade exemplified by Bill’s signing of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Now, in both parties, there is not much of a constituency for either. As president, Bill signed a crime bill that did, over time, result in lower crime rates. But progressives say it was partly responsible for the increase in incarceration rates for African Americans and Latinos ever since it was passed.

None of that, of course, is at the heart of Bill’s exile. In the #MeToo era, the personal has become the political. And his history of skirt chasing—before the White House and during his presidency—is no longer defensible for many Democrats.

(Much) more:  https://www.newsweek.com/2019/06/07/bill-clinton-hillary-clinton-ife-now-exile-powerful-couple-attention-speeches-1434192.html

Offline Night Hides Not

Such a heart warming article!   :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Such a heart warming article!   :rolling:

This could be the feel good story of the weekend. 

I know I enjoyed reading it.   :laugh:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I used to feel pretty good about Trump giving Hillz the beat down in 2016, but then I saw this article...

Now I feel even better.  888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

I used to feel pretty good about Trump giving Hillz the beat down in 2016, but then I saw this article...

Now I feel even better.  888high58888

:beer:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Hillary was pretty mouthy a few weeks ago-now radio silence. Could it have something to do with Barr's investigation? Is she planning a trip to somewhere the US doesn't have an extradition treaty?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hillary was pretty mouthy a few weeks ago-now radio silence. Could it have something to do with Barr's investigation? Is she planning a trip to somewhere the US doesn't have an extradition treaty?

July 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM CDT - Updated July 3 at 8:31 AM

These countries currently have no extradition treaty with the United States:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and

Herzegovina, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burma, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, the Central

African Republic, Chad, Mainland China, Comoros, Congo (Kinshasa), Congo (Brazzaville), Djibouti, Equatorial

Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Ivory Coast, Kazakhstan,

Kosovo, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Madagascar, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands,

Mauritania, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal,

Niger, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé & Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,

Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu,

Vatican, Vietnam and Yemen.

Link:  https://www.wsfa.com/story/22665099/countries-with-no-extradition-treaty-with-us/

A veritable muderer's row of shithole countries.  I understand Laos is beautiful this time of year.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I hear Benghazi is particularly nice this time of year.  I'm sure she would feel right at home near our old Embassy.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I hear Benghazi is particularly nice this time of year.  I'm sure she would feel right at home near our old Embassy.

Libya is on the list I posted...just sayin'.
I will NOT comply.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Link:  https://www.wsfa.com/story/22665099/countries-with-no-extradition-treaty-with-us/

A veritable muderer's row of shithole countries.  I understand Laos is beautiful this time of year.

@Cyber Liberty

I'm trying to imagine Hitlery pounding on the gates of the Vatican for admittance.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Bill is also depressed by some bad medical news. Apparently the odious remora has now been attached for so long that it can't be surgically removed without loss of both testicles.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA