Author Topic: GOP overreaction to Justin Amash suggests it's a party for the party, not for the people  (Read 603 times)

Offline corbe

GOP overreaction to Justin Amash suggests it's a party for the party, not for the people

by James Wallner

May 23, 2019 04:40 PM

Rep. Justin Amash, R-Mich., sparked a firestorm of opposition among his fellow Republicans this week when he called publicly for impeaching President Trump. The president responded by calling Amash a “loser,” and the rest of the party apparatus quickly fell in line behind Trump. The head of the Republican National Committee, Ronna McDaniel, criticized Amash for “parroting” the Democrats’ talking points, and conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza parroted McDaniel by referring to the congressman as the Left’s “useful idiot.” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., denounced Amash for being disloyal to the president and suggested that he may no longer belong in the Republican Party. Even the Club for Growth, one of the Right’s most venerable anti-establishment groups, has criticized Amash for failing to toe the party line on impeachment.

On one level, this is not surprising. The team mentality that characterizes partisan politics has always been a prominent feature of life in the nation's capital. Still, the swift and nearly unanimous outcry that greeted Amash's comments suggests that our party politics has entered a new phase.

This shift is reflected in the fact that Amash's colleagues on the House Freedom Caucus voted this week to condemn his comments. While the Freedom Caucus stopped short of kicking Amash out, a number of its members were nevertheless calling for just that.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/gop-overreaction-to-just-amash-suggests-its-a-party-for-the-party-not-for-the-people
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

The House Freedom Caucus was neutered last year by Trump's GOP and has become irrelevant, It was nice while it lasted.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

Or, many of us like the direction trump is taking the country and resent the media using a self interested republican to try to convey a whiff of bipartisanism to their overthrow attempt.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh, BS.  If anything, it was an under-reaction.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That's what all political parties are, unfortunately.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

Lest we forget, In it's heyday the House Freedom Caucus, with help from Sen. Cruz, not only got Boehner out of the Speakership but forced him to resign from Congress.  Not a small feat, as their first attempt 3 years earlier resulted in utter failure.

*Yes, McCarthy is just as BAD!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:01:03 pm by corbe »

Offline corbe

Yes, even I am wishing this Guy would just STFU!

'Inherently corrupt': Defiant Justin Amash pushes impeachment in tweetstorm

By Victor Morton   - The Washington Times - Updated: 5:58 p.m. on Thursday, May 23, 2019 

A defiant Rep. Justin Amash tripled down Thursday on his declaration that President Trump should be impeached, going on a tweetstorm outlining his case that Mr. Trump has violated the public trust and rebutting some of the arguments made by fellow conservatives.

The Michigan Republican, the first member of his party to call for impeaching Mr. Trump, detailed over the course of 20 tweets how special counsel Robert Mueller’s report has convinced him of “a consistent effort by the president to use his office to obstruct or otherwise corruptly impede the Russian election interference investigation because it put his interests at risk.”

“Some of the president’s actions were inherently corrupt. Other actions were corrupt — and therefore impeachable — because the president took them to serve his own interests,” he wrote near the end of the tweetstorm.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/may/23/justin-amash-pushes-donald-trump-impeachment-tweet/

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
   The House Freedom Carcass . . .
Fixed it for you.  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Yeah, hate Amash did this because it rings of just him wanting Trump out of the way to run for President. I don't know the fellow real well, seems to have a fairly good voting record better than 95% of congress, but yeah, as much as I dislike Trump, making up crap to smear him is pretty low down.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Yeah, hate Amash did this because it rings of just him wanting Trump out of the way to run for President. I don't know the fellow real well, seems to have a fairly good voting record better than 95% of congress, but yeah, as much as I dislike Trump, making up crap to smear him is pretty low down.

Since you're claiming he's making things up I assume you've read the Mueller report?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: