Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez says growing cauliflower in community gardens is 'colonial'  (Read 1845 times)

Offline mountaineer

This is NOT from the Babylon Bee, believe it or not.   Darn white vegetables.
Ocasio-Cortez says growing cauliflower in community gardens is 'colonial'
 By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Sunday that growing cauliflower in community gardens is part of the “colonial” attitudes that her Green New Deal will stamp out.

The New York Democrat, who introduced the proposal to tackle climate change by radically transforming the economy, posted a series of Instagram videos filmed in her home state talking about community gardens as a “core component” of her proposal.

“What I love too is growing plants that are culturally familiar to the community. It’s so important,” she said as she filmed a community garden in the Bronx.

“So that’s really how you do it right. That is such a core component of the Green New Deal is having all of these projects make sense in a cultural context, and it’s an area that we get the most pushback on because people say, ‘Why do you need to do that? That’s too hard.’” ...

“But when you really think about it -- when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something -- what you’re doing is you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism,” Ocasio-Cortez said. ...
Read entire story at FOX News

Yucca? That's as bad as Moochelle Obama trying to force jicama on innocent schoolchildren.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

See also the story at Gateway Pundit, Loony AOC: Growing Cauliflower In A Community Garden Is “Taking A Colonial Approach To Environmentalism.”

Offline verga

BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
 :silly:

So now vegetables are culturally oppressive? 

Here's to more cauliflower power!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline mountaineer

If you eat too many white vegetables like cauliflower and potatoes, you'll get an irresistible urge to listen to Pat Boone records and wear topsiders. Or something like that.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If you eat too many white vegetables like cauliflower and potatoes, you'll get an irresistible urge to listen to Pat Boone records and wear topsiders. Or something like that.

Pat Boone, Mitch Miller and Lawrence Welk and champagne music.!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

There is a point at which it becomes difficult to distinguish between a person's inflated sense of self-importance and "garden variety" insanity.

AOC clearly has a high opinion of her self. But she is also loopier than a roller coaster.     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
By all means, bartender, plant culturally acceptable yucca instead of something "colonial" to eat. God, she's a moron.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

Considering AOC's IQ hovers somewhere near that of a potted plant, you'd think she'd have some empathy for her fellow vegetables - even the white ones.

Wait a minute! The yucca root - the part you eat - is white on the inside! Unacceptable!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
She does realize that outside the cabbage family, peas, and maybe parsnips most of the vegetables grown in gardens are not from Europe?
The Republic is lost.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I realize that I am talking about a low-IQ child, but apparently AOC does not seem to know that the Spanish/Hispanics/Latinos were the biggest 'colonialists' on Earth during the Age of Expansion.

That is why most of America is Spanish or Portuguese speakers. Because the natives there were conquered and enslaved by Spanish speaking countries. She should look at her own family history, and then look in a mirror if she is looking for a conquering colonialist. Nobody in Cuba/Mexico/South America spoke Spanish before they were conquered and colonized by Spain.

How could they? They were all Native Americans before Spain arrived, defeated them, enslaved and raped them, and took their land and gold.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
So that explains it!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I realize that I am talking about a low-IQ child, but apparently AOC does not seem to know that the Spanish/Hispanics/Latinos were the biggest 'colonialists' on Earth during the Age of Expansion.

That is why most of America is Spanish or Portuguese speakers. Because the natives there were conquered and enslaved by Spanish speaking countries. She should look at her own family history, and then look in a mirror if she is looking for a conquering colonialist. Nobody in Cuba/Mexico/South America spoke Spanish before they were conquered and colonized by Spain.

How could they? They were all Native Americans before Spain arrived, defeated them, enslaved and raped them, and took their land and gold.

Potatoe (Peru),  Tomatoe and Corn (Mexico) , righly belong to Natives of the Americas.
Cauliflower is very diverse, with purple, orange, green as well as white varieties.

While a child, AOC debated whether to become a bartender, a stand up comedian or an opressed congressgirl.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline kevindavis007

Hell, the Brits where angels compared to the Spanish when it came to colonization of the Americas.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline berdie

I'm just curious....when there needs to be an off the wall, stupid statement made...they (whoever they are) call AOC?

And AOC jumps on it because she wants attention.

Things that make  one wonder about airheads.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Cauliflower caused me to start gaining weight.  Went from 125 to 175 in about 6 months.  I was skinny as a rail to start with.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cauliflower caused me to start gaining weight.  Went from 125 to 175 in about 6 months.  I was skinny as a rail to start with.

How much cauliflower were you eating?   *hmmmm*

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I don't recall.  Didn't seem like that much.  I chalked it up to my age at the time...mid to late 30's.  I'd been struggling to gain wait since I was a child up until that time.  I plateaued for years after that so I never gave it much thought.  I only started gaining again (a lot, about 75 lbs) after the first hip replacement.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

All of it. This is like salad. It is the cheese sauce he was smothering it in.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
All of it. This is like salad. It is the cheese sauce he was smothering it in.

Could be.  I like my cauliflower with plenty of that.  I've since switched to Brussels Sprouts but I kept the cheese.  Did not interfere with my weight loss program.  :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't recall.  Didn't seem like that much.  I chalked it up to my age at the time...mid to late 30's.  I'd been struggling to gain wait since I was a child up until that time.  I plateaued for years after that so I never gave it much thought.  I only started gaining again (a lot, about 75 lbs) after the first hip replacement.   :shrug:

I hear you.  I try to eat mostly low-carb.  Keeps the weight off and I feel better.  So no tortillas or chips.  Very sad.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I am at the point where I force myself to eat my vegetables naked.  Whether raw or cooked, I don't allow myself to put on any toppings like cheese or even butter.  It makes me feel like I am a vegetable martyr!

Offline verga

I am at the point where I force myself to eat my vegetables naked. 
@EdJames That must be a sight to see at parties and restaurants.  :silly:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I am at the point where I force myself to eat my vegetables naked.  Whether raw or cooked, I don't allow myself to put on any toppings like cheese or even butter.  It makes me feel like I am a vegetable martyr!

But you still out salt on your watermelon, right?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley