Author Topic: Don’t mess with Texas (from Wisconsin)  (Read 441 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Don’t mess with Texas (from Wisconsin)
« on: May 21, 2019, 09:04:05 pm »
Officials in the small Texas town of Coldspring lit up when the Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation (FRFF) asked them to remove the four white crosses on the exterior of the San Jacinto County Courthouse. After a public hearing on May 8 at which 600 to 700 local residents appeared, county commissioners voted unanimously to retain the crosses, even lighting them at night.

Texas First Assistant Attorney General Jeff Mateer wrote a letter to town county officials advising that his office would “look forward to supporting your lawful decision to retain the crosses” if the FRFF files...

https://world.wng.org/content/social_speech#texas

:0006:

Great story, and this is an interesting site.  Lots of good articles there.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:43:46 pm by Sanguine »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Don’t mess with Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:17:11 pm »
God bless Texas!!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Don’t mess with Texas (from Wisconsin)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:18:12 am »
THIS is how traditional-minded Americans fight back...

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:44:40 am »
:0006:
Great story, and this is an interesting site.  Lots of good articles there.
@Sanguine

I lived there 16 years.  That is San Jacinto County.  Coldspring is where the courthouse is.  There was one grocery store and one elderly doctor in town, one dentist.  The county didn't even have a Republican Primary - only a Democrat one - no one knew who the Republican Chairman was.  The guy did nothing except go to the Republican convention.  So Bill signed up and the guy had to hold a Republican Primary.  Bill ran and won.  Within ten years we had turned the county Republican, even in Commissioner's Court and the District Attorney and County Judge.  There is no way they would agree to take down crosses, even the Democrats there would not do that. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 02:50:26 am »
THIS is how traditional-minded Americans fight back...

:thumbsup:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 03:05:57 am »
@Sanguine

I lived there 16 years.  That is San Jacinto County.  Coldspring is where the courthouse is.  There was one grocery store and one elderly doctor in town, one dentist.  The county didn't even have a Republican Primary - only a Democrat one - no one knew who the Republican Chairman was.  The guy did nothing except go to the Republican convention.  So Bill signed up and the guy had to hold a Republican Primary.  Bill ran and won.  Within ten years we had turned the county Republican, even in Commissioner's Court and the District Attorney and County Judge.  There is no way they would agree to take down crosses, even the Democrats there would not do that.

Sounds like a nice place, @Victoria33.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:40:12 am »
Thatvsame group tried this in the are wher I grew up.  When word got out, it backfired.  Instead of one cross, there were thousands when people started putting small white crosses in their front yards.  The city of Port Neches also had a good response to thwart the group:  https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/government/article/Port-Neches-Council-sells-white-cross-to-church-7753195.php

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:15 pm »
Well that sent a very clear message.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 01:21:25 pm »
When do we blame the whole state of Texas for dumping Alex Jones on us?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 01:30:00 pm »
When do we blame the whole state of Texas for dumping Alex Jones on us?

And, that has what to do with this story?  @TomSea

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »
Several years ago The FFRF tried to get our county to remove the "In God We Trust" decals from the Sheriff Dept vehicles. 

Our Sheriff responded thusly:

August 4, 2015

Annie Laurie Gaylor
P.O. Box 750
Madison, WI 53701

Ms. Gaylor,

Thank you for your correspondence. I respect and appreciate the religious convictions or lack thereof of all citizens. I will continue to dutifully enforce the law and protect the rights of all parties, regardless of my personal opinions, as I have for my last 23 years in law enforcement. I see absolutely no conflict in this matter. You are obviously unaware that “in God we trust “ is the state motto of the state of Florida, and has been since 1886.
Snip
The disdain of a small minority should never, absent legitimate grievance, take precedence over the majority. Therefor in this issue I am unwilling to compromise.

If the Freedom From Religion Foundation wishes us to take them off our vehicles I suggest that they get a Judge’s order or a new Sheriff.

Sincerely,

Sheriff Michael A. Adkinson, Jr.
Office of the Sheriff, Walton County

http://www.wzep1460.com/walton-county-sheriff-responds-to-freedom-from-religion-foundation/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »
That's great, @The Ghost

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:41 pm »
That's great, @The Ghost

I just love this line.  It is so true.

"The disdain of a small minority should never, absent legitimate grievance, take precedence over the majority."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.