Author Topic: Billionaire commencement speaker to pay off student loans of entire class  (Read 2134 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Billionaire commencement speaker to pay off student loans of entire class
by Caitlin Yilek
 | May 19, 2019 03:50 PM

Billionaire Robert F. Smith surprised graduating seniors at Morehouse College on Sunday by announcing he would pay off all their student debt.

“This is my class,” he said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, “and I know my class will pay this forward.”

Smith, a philanthropist and CEO of technology investment firm Vista Equity Partners, received an honorary doctorate Sunday and had already made a $1.5 million contribution to the school earlier this year for scholarships and a new park.

The student loan payoff for the nearly 400 graduating students is estimated to be about $40 million. A college spokeswoman said it is the largest single gift in the history of the school.

During his commencement address, Smith urged students to include others in their success.

“You want to own it, you want to drive it, and you want to pick up as many people as you can along the way,” he said. “I’m putting some fuel into your bus. I’m counting on you to load up that bus.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/billionaire-commencement-speaker-to-pay-off-student-loans-of-entire-class
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

That’s nice, but what about all the other classes before and after this one?

Offline dfwgator

I hope those students can afford the tax bill that's coming.

Bill Cipher

The tax bill will still be smaller than the loans themselves.  And the payments may be grossed up so that they don’t end up hearing the cost of the tax. 

Offline mountaineer

What about them?  They're no worse off than they were before this fellow came along.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Bill Cipher

What about them?  They're no worse off than they were before this fellow came along.

As compared to 2019, they’re a lot worse off. 

Perhaps this gent, as well intentioned as he clearly is, should have worked with the school to endow it so that no accepted student needed to borrow for tuition any more. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

As compared to 2019, they’re a lot worse off. 

Perhaps this gent, as well intentioned as he clearly is, should have worked with the school to endow it so that no accepted student needed to borrow for tuition any more.

Why compare them to the class of 2019?  Why not compare them to a lottery winner, are they suddenly worse off because someone else won the lottery?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Bill Cipher

Why compare them to the class of 2019?  Why not compare them to a lottery winner, are they suddenly worse off because someone else won the lottery?

Because they are worse off simply because of the caprice of one wealthy person; someone who, quite honestly, is exercising the very real privileges that wealth brings (as compared to the phony, no existent privileges supposedly associated with being white).

The point is, he isn’t accomplishing much other than making himself feel good because the objects of his largesse are limited to one random group of people. 

It’s a nice thing to do, but it’s also got nothing to do with making the cost of education less onerous. 

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Because they are worse off simply because of the caprice of one wealthy person; someone who, quite honestly, is exercising the very real privileges that wealth brings (as compared to the phony, no existent privileges supposedly associated with being white).

The point is, he isn’t accomplishing much other than making himself feel good because the objects of his largesse are limited to one random group of people. 

It’s a nice thing to do, but it’s also got nothing to do with making the cost of education less onerous.

They are no worse off.  They owe the same amount as they would if the guy didn't make the gift to someone else.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

I don't know if someone who allows their loans to be forgiven is worth to be hired.  Doesn't say much about their commitment.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't know if someone who allows their loans to be forgiven is worth to be hired.  Doesn't say much about their commitment.

They're not allowing them to be forgiven, the speaker is paying their loans off.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's cheaper than actually employing them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

Universities do not use their endowments to benefit students.  Case in point:  Harvard University.  With an endowment close to $40 billion, just the interest alone would cover the $50,000 tuition of all 22,000 students enrolled year after year after year.

Personally, I think this man was in a position to bless a lot of people, and he did.  And it was a generous gesture considering how badly the Obama administration screwed them over by monopolizing the student loan business.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Bill Cipher

Wealth hath its privileges; buying an entire college graduating class is apparently one of them.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Not this guys problem.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Wealth hath its privileges; buying an entire college graduating class is apparently one of them.

It’s called philanthropy. Look it up.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I can just see the tax write-off he's taking.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Bill Cipher

It’s called making yourself feel good.  Wealth hath its privileges.

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, what's the point of helping people,  anyway.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I’ll bet his inbox is packed full of speaking invitations for 2020.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I’ll bet his inbox is packed full of speaking invitations for 2020.

888high58888

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good for him,and good for them!

In the interests of fair treatment and equality,I have to ask "What do any of you think the response would be if a white Billionaire had offered to pay the student loans off for white students at a 99 percent white college?

The lawsuits would be flying,the professional agitators known as "de Rev-Runs" would be leading protest marches,and white students would already been getting attacked on campus by now.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:29:52 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Bill Cipher

Seriously? You can't just accept this as the nice thing it is,and be glad for the ones that are benefiting?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Night Hides Not

They will not have a tax bill...Smith is paying off their student loans as a gift. He will be subject to gift tax on all gifts above $12K, or whatever the current threshhold is. It won't be forgiveness of debt to the students.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Hoodat

@Bill Cipher

Seriously? You can't just accept this as the nice thing it is,and be glad for the ones that are benefiting?

It's called 'envy'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-