Author Topic: ‘Bombshell’ News for Joe Biden From Australia  (Read 359 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

‘Bombshell’ News for Joe Biden From Australia
NY Sun, May 19, 2019, Editorial Board

Look at this, mates. From Down Under comes news that the incumbent prime minister of Australia has been returned to office in what the wires are calling a “sensational” result. The “bombshell triumph,” says a leading news site, comes after “repeated polls” placed the Australian Labor Party ahead of the ruling conservatives, who Down Under are called the Liberal Party.

No doubt it would be a mistake for us Yanks to make too much of this. Gravity pulls in the opposite direction on this side of the globe. Then again, too, it might be a mistake to ignore this portent altogether, since we are entering an election in which the more liberal figure, Jos. Biden, is polling ahead of the incumbent, more conservative president.

[...]

Plus, too, according to the Wall Street Journal’s report, the conservatives gained their victory “after voters in resource-rich districts turned against center-left opponents who had put climate change at the heart of their campaign.” It noted that Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s coalition appealed to voters in battleground states, struggling at the end of a long mining boom.”

“It Was Supposed To Be Australia’s Climate Change Election,” is the way the headline writers in the New York Times put it. “What happened?” The Times answers that Australians “shrugged off the warming seas killing the Great Barrier Reef and the extreme drought punishing farmers” to elect a conservative who has “long resisted plans to sharply cut down on carbon emissions and coal.”

This is something to keep in mind as leaders of our equivalent of the Australian Labor Party — Joe Biden and the Democrats — launch their campaign. They’ve been attacking President Trump’s fitness and vowing to redeem America’s soul, all while raising taxes. And while embracing, in one form or another, Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal. The news this morning is that it didn’t work Down Under.

https://www.nysun.com/editorials/australias-bombshell-news-for-joe-biden/90692/

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: ‘Bombshell’ News for Joe Biden From Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:08:25 pm »
Sure he won the most seats in the parliament, but did he win the POPULAR vote? Without that it doesn't really count, does it?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Bill Cipher

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:30:34 pm »
Australia is quite different from the US, so I really don’t see why any parallels for Biden, or anyone else for that matter, would really be applicable.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:15 pm »
Australia is quite different from the US, so I really don’t see why any parallels for Biden, or anyone else for that matter, would really be applicable.

Of course not.  It doesn't support your view so you can't see the parallels.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:54 pm »

Only from the standpoint that their media/entertainment complex is much like ours'.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 07:49:52 pm »
Of course not.  It doesn't support your view so you can't see the parallels.

Since I didn’t state a view, that remark is illogical. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:51:55 pm »
Since I didn’t state a view, that remark is illogical.

I have a long memory.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:43 pm »
I have a long memory.

A pretty bad one, too, then. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 07:54:17 pm »
A pretty bad one, too, then.

LOL!  If you say so.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 07:55:49 pm »
LOL!  If you say so.

I do.  Since my views are, by definition, my views, I know what they are, and you do not until and unless i state one of them.  Since I did not, your statement was irrational.