Author Topic: Trump tweets he is "pro-life" with "three exceptions" days after Alabama passes restrictive abortion  (Read 510 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump tweets he is "pro-life" with "three exceptions" days after Alabama passes restrictive abortion ban

By Caroline Linton

May 19, 2019 / 1:55 AM / CBS News

President Trump urged Republicans to stay "UNITED" on abortion in a series of tweets late Saturday night and wrote that he is "strongly Pro-Life, with the three exceptions - Rape, Incest and protecting the Life of the mother." The tweets come just days after Alabama passed the country's most restrictive abortion law, which bans the procedure unless "abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk" to the woman.

Mr. Trump tweeted "we have come very far in the last two years" by appointing 105 federal judges, but "we must stick together and win ... for Life in 2020."

"If we are foolish and do not stay UNITED as one, all of our hard fought gains for Life can, and will, rapidly disappear!" Mr. Trump wrote.

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

As most people know, and for those who would like to know, I am strongly Pro-Life, with the three exceptions - Rape, Incest and protecting the Life of the mother - the same position taken by Ronald Reagan. We have come very far in the last two years with 105 wonderful new.....
10:37 PM - May 18, 2019

more
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-abortion-tweets-trump-says-he-is-pro-life-days-after-alabama-passes-restrictive-abortion-ban/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I agree with all three exceptions .... to the point of viability outside the womb.  (FWIW  happy77)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I agree with all three exceptions .... to the point of viability outside the womb.  (FWIW  happy77)

Well that's pretty sad since you are talking about a child in the womb.  Fully formed that feels pain.  In the case of rape or incest there is day after.  Or very, very early.  I am not into judging others for anything.  But to allow a fetus to become fully formed in the womb and then consider abortion is disgusting.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Well that's pretty sad since you are talking about a child in the womb.   

What of the teenage girl who is raped.  Does her life have any value to you or are females simply baby-making machines?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What of the teenage girl who is raped.  Does her life have any value to you or are females simply baby-making machines?

Rape kit and day after.  You support abortion of viable babies.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline dfwgator

That all being said, it's nobody else's damn business except for the people of Alabama.

Offline libertybele

That is a really tough one.  I read a story of an 11 year old girl who was raped.  Devastated. Shocked. Ashamed.  She had just started menstruating.  Her mother realized that she stopped needing feminine hygiene products and took her to the doctor.  By that time almost 3 months had passed.  The doctor informed the mother that her daughter was pregnant and the daughter finally came forward with what had happened. Still shocked, devastated and ashamed.

Since the state she resides in has a heartbeat bill, it was too late for an abortion. Even though the eleven year old was raped she didn't come forward soon enough and file a police report to legally allow for an abortion.

I've mulled this one back and forth in my mind.  The 11 year old had to go through the trauma of the rape, then finding out she was pregnant. Giving birth at 11 years old would be a tremendous life long trauma.  Going through the trauma of having an abortion at 11 years old is still a life long trauma.

There is no easy answer.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Well that's pretty sad since you are talking about a child in the womb.  Fully formed that feels pain.  In the case of rape or incest there is day after.  Or very, very early.  I am not into judging others for anything.  But to allow a fetus to become fully formed in the womb and then consider abortion is disgusting.

Well said!

If the day after pill was ever meant for a purpose this would be it. I've always been torn on cases of rape or incest because the baby didn't commit the crime. The baby is an innocent life.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

That all being said, it's nobody else's damn business except for the people of Alabama.

This is a point that doesn't get made enough.

Individual states should be deciding this issue not federal courts, or even our Congress.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
This is a point that doesn't get made enough.

Individual states should be deciding this issue not federal courts, or even our Congress.

That is entirely correct.  The Tenth Amendment is the only part of the Constitution that should be relevant here.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Well said!

If the day after pill was ever meant for a purpose this would be it. I've always been torn on cases of rape or incest because the baby didn't commit the crime. The baby is an innocent life.

The baby is an innocent life.  For me, that's all that needs to be said.  I'm sorry that a woman who was raped might also have to know she carried her rapist's child to term, but that baby has the right to live.  It really, really sucks for the mother, but then sometimes life really, really sucks.

Even if I could accept the rape argument, I've never understood the idea of a separate incest argument.  If the sex was consensual, it's no different than sex with anyone else.  If it wasn't, then the rape argument applies.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
The baby is an innocent life.  For me, that's all that needs to be said.  I'm sorry that a woman who was raped might also have to know she carried her rapist's child to term, but that baby has the right to live. It really, really sucks for the mother, but then sometimes life really, really sucks.

Even if I could accept the rape argument, I've never understood the idea of a separate incest argument.  If the sex was consensual, it's no different than sex with anyone else.  If it wasn't, then the rape argument applies.

We seem to have moved to a point in decline where that bolded portion is not accepted (in many cases, beyond this particular topic).   As a society we seem to have sunk to a place where we cannot accept the simple fact: Life is not fair.  We seem to have fallen to a place where we believe that "fairness" should be regulated, legislated, or judicially mandated.

Offline bilo

The baby is an innocent life.  For me, that's all that needs to be said.  I'm sorry that a woman who was raped might also have to know she carried her rapist's child to term, but that baby has the right to live.  It really, really sucks for the mother, but then sometimes life really, really sucks.

If the morning after pill is taken the baby never forms.

Also, other than returning this issue to the States there is no way a majority of judges, let alone a majority of Congress, will ever ban all abortions except when the mother's life is in danger.