Author Topic: Marines’ move from Okinawa to Guam could begin as early as October 2024, report say  (Read 424 times)

rangerrebew

Marines’ move from Okinawa to Guam could begin as early as October 2024, report says

Aircraft from the United States, Australia and Japan fly together off the coast of Guam, March 6, 2019.

By MATTHEW M. BURKE | STARS AND STRIPES Published: May 16, 2019

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — The transfer of Marines from Okinawa to Guam could begin as early as October 2024 and take 18 months to complete, according to a report by Japan’s Kyodo News service that cites a Marine Corps official on the U.S. Pacific island territory.

The Marine Corps’ Asia-Pacific realignment calls for 4,100 Okinawa-based Marines to be relocated to Guam, along with 900 others from elsewhere around the globe.

About 2,700 more Okinawa-based Marines will be sent to Hawaii, while 800 will go to the U.S. mainland. Another 1,300 are to make up most of a 2,500-person rotational force in Australia.

https://www.stripes.com/news/marines-move-from-okinawa-to-guam-could-begin-as-early-as-october-2024-report-says-1.581201

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If you add that many Marines to Guam won't the island tip over and capsize?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline jpsb

Why are we leaving Okinawa?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why are we leaving Okinawa?

@jpsb

I am not so sure "We" are. The USMC is leaving,but there is no word of the USCG,the USA,or the USAF leaving.

The Okinawan people and government were wanting the USMC booted off the island when I got there in 1965. I have no idea how much earlier they were wanting to give Marines the boot.

Seems like they had a lot of trouble with a certain segment of young Marines wanting to gang beat Okinawan men and gang rape Okinawan women. It is not politically correct to identify this group of young men,but I do remember several cases of them being prosecuted under local law and sentenced to Japanese prisons while I was there,and vaguely remember 4 more being found guilty of gang rape and beatings several years ago and whining in the papers about going to jail in Japan. Jail in Japan is a WHOLE new thing to homeboys used to controlling the system. Step out of line in a Japanese prison and the guards WILL beat the snot out of you. They will beat the snot out of you if you are Japanese (as long as you aren't connected to a Japanese organized crime family),so you KNOW they will beat you like a drum if you don't look Asian.

Yes,there are people of this ethnic group on Okinawa that serve in the US Army,USAF,and maybe even the USCG,but it seems the USMC gets the ones with the lowest IQ's and the USMC promotes aggressiveness. Big surprise on the last part,huh? Who would ever think the USMC would want their cannon fodder to be aggressive?

Seems like some groups deal with it better than other groups,though.

The Japanese don't want people of this ethnicity stationed in Japan,either. Port calls in Japan always seem to lead to arresting sailors of this ethnic group for petty thefts and violence.

Can't remember who these people are right at the moment. Maybe Mennonites?  Billy Bob's from Arkansas?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jpsb

@sneakypete

I never went there as a Marine but I recall reading the same things you read. I did most of my time a Gitmo. Gitmo is not a fun place but it was a hell of a lot better than Camp Lejeune. Believe it or not I went over a year without drinking one beer there. Eman's club severed watered down crap. Why even brother.

I did get a part time job there teaching the officers wife and children how to ride horses English style. What was fun, they made me ride the meanest horse in the barn. I put him on a lead line and tried him out before I mounted him. Even so he still took me on one hell of a ride. He was fine with females but let a male get on him .....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I never went there as a Marine but I recall reading the same things you read. I did most of my time a Gitmo. Gitmo is not a fun place but it was a hell of a lot better than Camp Lejeune. Believe it or not I went over a year without drinking one beer there. Eman's club severed watered down crap. Why even brother.

YIKES! That's hard to believe. I'm betting the NCO and Officers club didn't have that problem.

Still,any way you want to look at it,being based at Gitmo was a hardship tour.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!