Author Topic: Complete shock’: Australia’s prime minister holds onto power, defying election predictions  (Read 356 times)

Online corbe

‘Complete shock’: Australia’s prime minister holds onto power, defying election predictions

A. Odysseus Patrick

20 hrs ago

SYDNEY —The center-right government of Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison held onto power Saturday after a surprise surge in national elections that left some pundits making comparisons to President Trump’s poll-defying win in 2016.

The apparent upset victory was the latest election to trample predictions by polling firms, which all showed Morrison’s political bloc trailing the opposition Labor Party.

It also carried other uncanny parallels with Trump’s rise.

In Australia’s coal country, Morrison was seen as an ally to protect jobs against a push for more renewal energy and greater efforts to battle climate change. Morrison draw further support with promises of tax cuts and a tough line on immigration, contrasting with Labor’s call for more social programs and less-stringent migrant policies.

The Labor leader, Bill Shorten, conceded defeat as election returns tipped the scales against him.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/complete-shock-australias-prime-minister-holds-onto-power-defying-election-predictions/ar-AABwUHP?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

Offline dfwgator

Online mountaineer

Aussie leftists are behaving as maturely as in the US, if their hysterical tweets are any indication (apparently, Jane Caro is a novelist of some fame in Australia):
Jane Caro  Verified account @JaneCaro

So much fun to wake to messages telling me that I am an absolute bitch who should leave the country. I guess this is Australia right now. Like so many others, I despair. Trump, Brexit, Scomo - while the planet disintegrates.
5:42 PM - 18 May 2019

Emma Dilemma  @DilemmaMoral
Replying to @IAmCactus2 @JaneCaro

I’m scared more so now because it’s like Jane said, there’s a world wide shift to the right. It’s not just here but we are helping to perpetuate it. It’s frightening because it’s insidious and pervasive.
6:00 PM - 18 May 2019

Alpheus Williams   @AlphWilliams
Replying to @JaneCaro

It's the very hate, misogyny and ignorance that won this campaign. While they throw that kind of vitriol at us, we can take some comfort that we aren't part of it are better for it.  Ironically it is those who are so frightened and hateful that will suffer most under this Gov.
5:49 PM - 18 May 2019

I’ve never felt so gutted from an election result. This is a victory of pure evil. How are we going to handle three more years of listening to Scott Morrison & witnessing the ill treatment of our underprivileged & the disintegration of our beloved planet?!.😢
6:03 PM - 18 May 2019 

Mackenzie Steel   @MackenzieSteel
Replying to @JaneCaro

I despair also. Looks like we're going back to the dark ages. Stunned that this is the Australia people want. I thought we were different.
6:11 PM - 18 May 2019
And on and on.   :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Australian conservative PM hails 'miracle' election victory
Date created : 18/05/2019 - 16:47
Latest update : 18/05/2019 - 18:03

Australia's conservative Prime Minister Scott Morrison claimed a stunning victory on Saturday in a national election result that defied pre-poll projections and led to favourite Bill Shorten resigning his leadership of the Labor party.
ADVERTISING

Morrison had entered the election as an underdog, but after a hard-fought campaign defied the odds to extend the Liberal-National coalition's six-year rule.

"I have always believed in miracles!" he told jubilant supporters in Sydney. "How good is Australia!"?

Opposition Labor Party leader Bill Shorten conceded defeat late in the evening as Prime Minister Scott Morrison's Liberal Party-led coalition came close to a majority in the 151-seat House of Representatives, where parties need a majority to form a government.  ...

Shorten, who campaigned heavily on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, said Saturday morning that he was confident Labor would win, but Morrison would not be drawn on a prediction.

Morrison is the conservatives' third prime minister since they were first elected in 2013. ... France 24

Online mountaineer

Rita Panahi  Verified account @RitaPanahi

Australian election was a triumph for the “quiet Australians” who are aspirational & inherently conservative in their values. They’re focused on family, not activism, they don’t take to the streets to protest or fill Twitter with delusional emoting...
9:31 AM - 21 May 2019
Rita Panahi: Peter Dutton’s crusade made the Coalition’s election win possible
Rita Panahi, Herald Sun
May 21, 2019 4:30am

Scott Morrison has achieved the most astonishing victory in modern Australian politics. Forget 1993, this was the unwinnable election, it was going to take a miracle and a miracle is what we got.

One man who hasn’t received the credit he deserves for saving the country from the most Left-wing government in a generation is Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton. If Dutton hadn’t had the courage to challenge then prime minister and Liberal impostor Malcolm Turnbull, there would have been no famous Morrison victory.  ...

The Australian people rejected Labor’s class warfare, climate madness and identity politics. Shorten and his Labor cohorts ran a disgracefully divisive campaign, one that sought to divide the country along class lines. They sought to punish those who work the hardest and contribute the most. They wanted to penalise self-funded retirees, who for decades saved and sacrificed so they could be self-sufficient in retirement. They tried to demonise property investors as greedy and forgot that it’s typically average income earners, not the “big end of town”, who use bricks and mortar to build wealth and provide financial security for their family.

Labor’s foolhardy negative gearing, franking credits and climate change policies were appealing to economic illiterates but alienated average Australians. In its efforts to paint aspirational Australians as greedy, Labor turned off scores of potential voters.  ...
Sound familiar?

Link to full article