Author Topic: Trump Administration Asks Congress to Reimburse Taliban  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Trump Administration Asks Congress to Reimburse Taliban

President Donald Trump asked Congress to pay the Afghanistan Taliban for the costs associated with attending peace conferences, according to a new report.

The Department of Defense asked Congress to reimburse members of the Taliban earlier this year for expenses incurred while attending a number of negotiations, according to House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense Chair, Pete Visclosky.
The money would be used to cover transportation, lodging, food and miscellaneous supplies, Kevin Spicer, spokesman for Indiana Democrat Visclosky, told CQ Roll Call.

But, said Spicer, this request to pay the Taliban with U.S. money “would implicate provisions of law concerning material support to terrorists, the Taliban’s ongoing offensive operations against U.S. service members, and their continuing lack of acknowledgement of the government of Afghanistan or the rights of women in Afghan society.” ….

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-administration-asks-congress-to-reimburse-taliban/ar-AABsXkH?ocid=spartandhp
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online libertybele

Re: Trump Administration Asks Congress to Reimburse Taliban
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:22:22 pm »
Trump Administration Asks Congress to Reimburse Taliban

President Donald Trump asked Congress to pay the Afghanistan Taliban for the costs associated with attending peace conferences, according to a new report.

The Department of Defense asked Congress to reimburse members of the Taliban earlier this year for expenses incurred while attending a number of negotiations, according to House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense Chair, Pete Visclosky.
The money would be used to cover transportation, lodging, food and miscellaneous supplies, Kevin Spicer, spokesman for Indiana Democrat Visclosky, told CQ Roll Call.

But, said Spicer, this request to pay the Taliban with U.S. money “would implicate provisions of law concerning material support to terrorists, the Taliban’s ongoing offensive operations against U.S. service members, and their continuing lack of acknowledgement of the government of Afghanistan or the rights of women in Afghan society.” ….

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-administration-asks-congress-to-reimburse-taliban/ar-AABsXkH?ocid=spartandhp

Trump disappoints on this!   9999hair out0000
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:23:46 pm »

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this story is accurate.  The source is just one Congressional aide, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the piling on from Democrats you'd expect if this was actually true.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25:16 pm »
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that this story is accurate.  The source is just one Congressional aide, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the piling on from Democrats you'd expect if this was actually true.

It's from News Weak.  so chances are it is a fabrication.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25:45 pm »

Yes, unbelievable.  The only peace plan they want is for Afghanistan to be under their control again.  So they can keep women from school and under their oppressive laws.  Anyone that thinks they are going to magically stop being who they are is crazy.  These are terrorists that killed American soldiers.  They are monsters that bury women up to their necks in stadiums and stone them.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:05 pm »
It's from News Weak.  so chances are it is a fabrication.

What's wrong with Newsweek?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 02:28:34 pm »

What's wrong with Newsweek?

What's right with Newsweek?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:22 pm »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:34:32 pm »
Well I believe it is true.  I think this article supports it.

Trump’s Foreign Policy of Engagement Pays Off with Taliban Peace Talk Breakthrough
The neocon consensus of non-stop intervention is crumbing because of Trump’s incredible progress

Published 2 months ago on Mar 14, 2019
By Shane Trejo

While it is news of Trump’s friendship with Kim Jong-un and the possibility of peace coming to the Koreas that dominate headlines, Trump’s incredible progress with the Taliban in Afghanistan has remained under the radar.

The fifth round of negotiations in Qatar taking place between the US and Taliban negotiators recently concluded, and it was the most fruitful round yet. They have reached an “agreement in draft” regarding certain key issues...…..

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/trumps-foreign-policy-of-engagement-pays-off-with-taliban-peace-talk-breakthrough/

U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad announced the good news in a series of Twitter posts:

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 02:35:52 pm »
It seems when Trump does something wrong, it's attributed to fake news.  Just sayin'. 

I wouldn't be so quick, to dismiss it either.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 02:36:36 pm »
Well I believe it is true.  I think this article supports it.

Trump’s Foreign Policy of Engagement Pays Off with Taliban Peace Talk Breakthrough
The neocon consensus of non-stop intervention is crumbing because of Trump’s incredible progress

Published 2 months ago on Mar 14, 2019
By Shane Trejo

While it is news of Trump’s friendship with Kim Jong-un and the possibility of peace coming to the Koreas that dominate headlines, Trump’s incredible progress with the Taliban in Afghanistan has remained under the radar.

The fifth round of negotiations in Qatar taking place between the US and Taliban negotiators recently concluded, and it was the most fruitful round yet. They have reached an “agreement in draft” regarding certain key issues...…..

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/trumps-foreign-policy-of-engagement-pays-off-with-taliban-peace-talk-breakthrough/

U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad announced the good news in a series of Twitter posts:

Nobody is claiming that there haven't been peace talks.  The click-bait is that the U.S. wanted to pay for the Taliban, and that article you link doesn't mention that.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 02:39:15 pm »
Until this report is independently verified by the unbiased MSNBC or NBC News... I won't believe it.
:sarc:

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 02:43:20 pm »
Until this report is independently verified by the unbiased MSNBC or NBC News... I won't believe it.
:sarc:

Yep, CNN reports it and it becomes gospel truth!   888high58888

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 03:32:53 am »
Is Roll Call a better source?

Congress
Administration wants to reimburse Taliban’s travel expenses

The Trump administration asked Congress earlier this year for funds to reimburse Afghanistan’s Taliban for expenses the insurgent group incurs attending peace talks, according to a spokesman for the chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.
The money would cover the Taliban’s costs for expenses such as transportation, lodging, food and supplies, said Kevin Spicer, spokesman for Indiana Democrat Peter J. Visclosky, in a statement for CQ Roll Call.

“The Defense Department requested fiscal 2020 funding to support certain reconciliation activities, including logistic support for members of the Taliban and, in March 2019, they sent a notification letter to the Committee on using fiscal year 2019 funds for similar activities,” Spicer said.
The Pentagon’s request to funnel U.S. funds to the Taliban “would implicate provisions of law concerning material support to terrorists, the Taliban’s ongoing offensive operations against U.S. service members, and their continuing lack of acknowledgement of the government of Afghanistan or the rights of women in Afghan society,” said Spicer.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/administration-wants-reimburse-talibans-travel-expenses

Pentagon knew peace-talks fund would ‘likely’ benefit Taliban
Document suggests some money would give ‘material support to terrorists’

Pentagon leaders formally asked Congress in writing earlier this year for a $30 million fund to support peace talks with Afghanistan’s Taliban, even though, the Defense Department officials wrote, it was “likely” some of the money would materially support terrorists.

The legislative proposal, obtained by CQ Roll Call, suggests that the fiscal 2020 money to cover logistics involved in the negotiations may directly or indirectly provide financial support to violent groups in Afghanistan that have been fighting Americans and their own countrymen, including in targeted attacks on civilians, for nearly 18 years.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/pentagon-knew-peace-talks-fund-would-likely-benefit-taliban

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 03:41:38 am »
Is Roll Call a better source?

It's fake until Mark Levin reports it.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 11:45:20 am »
It's fake until Mark Levin reports it.

Hell, Mark Levin will praise this action.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 02:23:54 pm »
Trumps administration is starting to look more and more similar to terrorist loving Barry Obama.  His base seems to be anti Conservative.  He's going to fire Bolton in no time. 

Question is are we going to sit by and watch the administration give money to a terrorist organization that wil most probably fund terrorist acts?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:26:33 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 02:26:47 pm »
Trumps administration is starting to look more and more similar to terrorist loving Barry Obama.  His base seems to be anti Conservative.  He's going to fire Bolton in no time.

I don't think Trump's base is anti-conservative, but I do agree that he's starting to do some things that are similar to Bammy.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 02:36:29 pm »
I don't think Trump's base is anti-conservative, but I do agree that he's starting to do some things that are similar to Bammy.

You don't think so?  I am 100% sure that his aspiration is to move more to the left.  To gain more support from Democrats.  To take an anti-Conservative position.

The concessions that he has made to the Nancy and Chuck show clearly show a willingness to loose the hardline on his key campaign issue illegal immigration.  He is teetering on foreign policy.  I won't forget his early on campaign quotes where he praised dictators.  He is coming out and I believe he probably is going to target Democratic voters.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 03:02:52 pm »
So.... someone in the Pentagon and/or in the DOD asks for reimbursements for this (which is abjectly stupid, btw).... and it's automatically "Trump's request". 

Yeah, it's his administration.... but as we all know only too well... he does not control every swingin D in that administration (unfortunately).   Yet folks are suddenly falling all over themselves to diss Trump on something that hasn't actually happened... and that he may not even approve of. 

Typical.

The Department of Defense asked Congress for approval to use taxpayer dollars to reimburse the Taliban for travel expenses incurred attending peace talks with the US, Roll Call reported, citing a congressional official.

The Pentagon reportedly also sent a letter to Congress asking to use funds from the previous year for similar activities.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-admin-wanted-to-reimburse-taliban-for-peace-talk-travel-expenses-2019-5
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 03:08:46 pm »
So.... someone in the Pentagon and/or in the DOD asks for reimbursements for this (which is abjectly stupid, btw).... and it's automatically "Trump's request". 

Yeah, it's his administration.... but as we all know only too well... he does not control every swingin D in that administration (unfortunately).   Yet folks are suddenly falling all over themselves to diss Trump on something that hasn't actually happened... and that he may not even approve of. 

Typical.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-admin-wanted-to-reimburse-taliban-for-peace-talk-travel-expenses-2019-5

That was my thought as well, I doubt that Trump is even aware of it.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this was done specifically to garner this type of reaction.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 03:17:41 pm »
Trump needs to appeal to less conservative voters if he wants to get re-elected.  He has managed to lose many people that voted for him.  Not so many that it makes the news, just enough to swing a few states that he won last time to the Dems. 

The only Day One promise I am aware of from Trump was the elimination of the H1-b Visa.  He reneged.  In fact, after sitting with tech power brokers, he wants to up the number of H1-b Visas, putting more USA citizens out of work.  I say this will cost him 500,000 votes in 2020.  And suffice to say, he has done very little on the border, so he will lose votes over that too. 

And then there are those that had increases in their taxes, which is millions of voters.  Some number of them just will not turn out to vote in 2020.  And while many are in NY and CA, where he does not stand a chance of winning, there are people all over the country that are getting screwed from a tax perspective, people that thought they were saving money on taxes.

He needs millions of votes to win again.  He is not a sure thing! If the FED continues to jack up interest rates, and I believe they will, it will slow the economy further.  If his trade negotiations go sour, and there is a high probability they will with China, he is in trouble.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 03:19:49 pm »
This was posted in World News too.

Reimbursing, though, I'm not a fan of this, I don't think it is a big deal to pay for the food and hotel room of the negotiators. Isn't what this is about?

Anyway, the great persecutors of Christians and other groups, that being ISIS being beaten back was achieved under Trump, someone could say genocide was stopped.

@Chosen Daughter  is no part of that if she didn't vote for Trump as she is always saying. She abandoned those Christians so, in posting this, she shows, she just likes to go after Trump if she finds something negative on him.

Question is are we going to sit by and watch the administration give money to a terrorist organization that wil most probably fund terrorist acts?

Sorry, you abandoned Christians in Syria/Iraq if you didn't vote for Trump, maybe your taxpayer dollars helped the effort but this is the situation.

As said, I think we are talking about paying room and board for these negotiators, otherwise, they wouldn't have shown up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:58:58 pm by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 03:20:59 pm »

Typical.

For you when does the buck stop with the boss?  What you are saying is that Trumps appointed administration is making decisions without the Presidents knowledge.  That he is basically non engaged in his own foreign policy.

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »
That was my thought as well, I doubt that Trump is even aware of it.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me if this was done specifically to garner this type of reaction.

Look for more (much more) of this type of sensationalism reporting going into the 2020 election season.  It's gonna get ugly.  We'll probably be amazed (that we're amazed). 
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.