Author Topic: Courts weigh Trump's plan to tap Pentagon for border wall  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Courts weigh Trump's plan to tap Pentagon for border wall
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:34:24 pm »
Courts weigh Trump's plan to tap Pentagon for border wall
Associated Press, May 17, 2019

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — President Donald Trump is moving fast to spend billions of dollars to build a wall on the Mexican border with money secured under his declaration of a national emergency, but he first must get past the courts.

On Friday, a federal judge in Oakland, California, will consider arguments in two cases that seek to block the White House from spending Defense and Treasury Department money for wall construction. California and 19 other states brought one lawsuit; the Sierra Club and Southern Border Communities Coalition, represented by the American Civil Liberties Union, brought the other.

On Thursday, a federal judge in the nation's capital will consider a bid by the U.S. House of Representatives to prevent Trump from spending any Defense Department money for a border wall.

At stake is billions of dollars that would allow Trump to make major progress on a signature campaign promise heading into his campaign for a second term.

More:  https://hosted.ap.org/article/e1881ae13cb5464395465da9eb4f52a4/courts-weigh-trumps-plan-tap-pentagon-border-wall

Re: Courts weigh Trump's plan to tap Pentagon for border wall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:13 pm »
What say you about this @libertybele ?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »
What say you about this @libertybele ?

I say he should have made this push for a wall when he had a GOP majority in the House and Senate.  He didn't.  Now America is paying the price with an unprecedented, never seen before in history, invasion at the border.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 12:48:50 pm »
I say he should have made this push for a wall when he had a GOP majority in the House and Senate. 

:bs:  You'd still be pouting because even with a GOP majority, we would not have catapulted illegal migrants into Mexico.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:40 pm »
:bs:  You'd still be pouting because even with a GOP majority, we would not have catapulted illegal migrants into Mexico.

??? Really ??? How you do know that for certain?  How do you know that had he made this 'hustle' when he had the majority that he wouldn't have gotten more funding for the wall?  His odds of getting funding would have been a heck of a lot better then they are now.

If for some reason he was betting on retaining the House and gaining some seats, he was dead wrong.

BTW -- his "art of the deal" sucks, BIGLY!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »
The world is so peaceful it seems that our Pentagon is a great place to raid for funding for a wall.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 01:30:00 pm »
The world is so peaceful it seems that our Pentagon is a great place to raid for funding for a wall.

Not to worry ... we still have plenty of $$ to give to countries that hate us!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:47 pm »
??? Really ??? How you do know that for certain?  How do you know that had he made this 'hustle' when he had the majority that he wouldn't have gotten more funding for the wall?  His odds of getting funding would have been a heck of a lot better then they are now.

If for some reason he was betting on retaining the House and gaining some seats, he was dead wrong.  BTW -- his "art of the deal" sucks, BIGLY! 

I just don't understand your thinking @libertybele   Stopping illegal immigration is apparently your signature political issue.  Yet you are compelled to malign, ridicule and diminish the one man STILL trying to stop it (Graham and Scalise are now stepping up nicely).

You keep pointing to that magical time when we had a majority in Congress, but without remembering the makeup of that majority.  Do you honestly think even if the President could have found the right political gun to hold to Ryan's head Ryan would have brought this issue to the floor?  The same Ryan who encouraged Republicans in the House not to run for reelection?

Half the Republican House members during those mystical two years would have voted for impeachment.

Noticeably absent from any of your musings is the role of the courts.  Their raison d'être has been to obstruct and deny each and every Presidential EO and proposal.  And they have been damn effective.  Yet the courts don't seem to get your ire up quite like the President does. 

If you had been paying attention during the midterms you'd know the President did not expect to retain the House.  He knew the abdication of 40 plus "republicans" was insurmountable.  POTUS focused the bulk of his energies on the Senate.  The changes in the 9th Circuit alone should make you happy he did so.

And BTW, the "art of the deal" only works when both sides want a deal.  The art of the deal kicks in to get the best outcome for your side.  Watch China.

As I said, I just don't understand the thinking that consistently points the finger of blame at the man standing up for you instead of the truly culpable. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:30:16 pm »
I just don't understand your thinking @libertybele   Stopping illegal immigration is apparently your signature political issue.  Yet you are compelled to malign, ridicule and diminish the one man STILL trying to stop it (Graham and Scalise are now stepping up nicely).

You keep pointing to that magical time when we had a majority in Congress, but without remembering the makeup of that majority.  Do you honestly think even if the President could have found the right political gun to hold to Ryan's head Ryan would have brought this issue to the floor?  The same Ryan who encouraged Republicans in the House not to run for reelection?

Half the Republican House members during those mystical two years would have voted for impeachment.

Noticeably absent from any of your musings is the role of the courts.  Their raison d'être has been to obstruct and deny each and every Presidential EO and proposal.  And they have been damn effective.  Yet the courts don't seem to get your ire up quite like the President does. 

If you had been paying attention during the midterms you'd know the President did not expect to retain the House.  He knew the abdication of 40 plus "republicans" was insurmountable.  POTUS focused the bulk of his energies on the Senate.  The changes in the 9th Circuit alone should make you happy he did so.

And BTW, the "art of the deal" only works when both sides want a deal.  The art of the deal kicks in to get the best outcome for your side.  Watch China.

As I said, I just don't understand the thinking that consistently points the finger of blame at the man standing up for you instead of the truly culpable.

You darn right I am stuck on ILLEGAL immigration, it IS sucking the life blood out of this country and it is destroying us!  The one man who can stop it??? You said it RIV.  When are you going to acknowledge that he isn't stopping it?  That's the problem.  He had the opportunity and he blew it BIGLY. He just dumped hundreds of ILLEGALS into FL with no limit as to the amount of ILLEGALS he's going to dump.  How in the heck is that stopping the problem??  He has allowed states to opt out of building a barrier, how is that stopping it?  He's giving Mexico another year to get their act together, how is that stopping it??

Point the blame??  Are you serious??  You've been duped.  He's playing the blame game and you continue to buy into it.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 02:37:26 pm »
You darn right I am stuck on ILLEGAL immigration, it IS sucking the life blood out of this country and it is destroying us!  The one man who can stop it??? You said it RIV.  When are you going to acknowledge that he isn't stopping it?  That's the problem.  He had the opportunity and he blew it BIGLY. He just dumped hundreds of ILLEGALS into FL with no limit as to the amount of ILLEGALS he's going to dump.  How in the heck is that stopping the problem??  He has allowed states to opt out of building a barrier, how is that stopping it?  He's giving Mexico another year to get their act together, how is that stopping it??

Point the blame??  Are you serious??  You've been duped.  He's playing the blame game and you continue to buy into it.

Calm down, please.

I haven't been duped since 2012 @libertybele   Your problem with me appears to be I don't share your hate of the POTUS.  And, on this, we agree.  Let's just leave it here.   "Debating" with you has now crossed into the tedious realm.

Life is too full for such nonsense.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
Calm down, please.

I haven't been duped since 2012 @libertybele   Your problem with me appears to be I don't share your hate of the POTUS.  And, on this, we agree.  Let's just leave it here.   "Debating" with you has now crossed into the tedious realm.

Life is too full for such nonsense.

Your problem with me is I keep pointing out the reality of the situation -- reports, links, etc., etc., and you refuse to acknowledge that Trump has done very little.  You praised his recent speech.  His speech had very little to do with ILLEGAL immigration and the CRISIS at the border, but addressed LEGAL immigration -- yet you still applaud him on ILLEGAL immigration.  No, I don't hate the man @ RIV, you know better than that.  I hate the fact that he has FAILED on his promise(s) and he continues to con his supporters.

Yes, as of right now, I'll vote for him again, because he's still better than the bat crap crazies on the other side of the aisle.  My vote will once again, but a vote against the DEM not because of my overwhelming approval of Trump. He has FAILED on the number one issues that he campaigned on.

Go out and smell the roses while you can @RIV...have a peaceful, blessed and joyous day.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 01:09:51 am »
Of course this was going to get challenged in the courts.

Push it upwards for a Supreme Court ruling -- one way or the other. Seems to me if the lawsuit originates from the U.S. Congress itself (the democrat-communists), this should warrant that the case be moved directly to the High Court.

In the meantime, keep spending those funds and keep whatever construction is possible going.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:11:36 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 02:49:39 am »
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — President Donald Trump is moving fast...
Seriously?

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 02:51:07 am »
lol :laugh:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 03:39:26 am »

You don't think this is an appropriate item to spend national defense funds on?

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 03:44:01 am »
You don't think this is an appropriate item to spend national defense funds on?
I wish Trump had told me I could have a wall OR national defense, instead of saying Mexico would pay.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 03:50:11 am »
I wish Trump had told me I could have a wall OR national defense, instead of saying Mexico would pay.

What?

Offline rustynail

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 09:33:37 am »
Judges know best.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »
It makes no difference what this court might say.

Executive rules supreme when it comes to the defense of this country.

Let them rule away.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 12:38:25 pm »
I say he should have made this push for a wall when he had a GOP majority in the House and Senate.  He didn't.  Now America is paying the price with an unprecedented, never seen before in history, invasion at the border.
No, the price we are paying is for the Unconstitutional power grab by courts to say they, not the President, are responsible for defending this country.

Let them rule, then he will ignore.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 02:44:26 pm »

Barry Obama put up a wall too.  Sections here and there.  This is a repeat performance.  He (Trump) neutered his ability to secure the country when he signed legislation allowing border cities to opt out.  I can practically see the big beautiful doors in these cities welcoming illegal immigrants on a daily basis.  Allowing Cartel to flood the country with their drug cancer that is infecting our cities.  A doorway for human smuggling and child trafficking.  We already wasted money on ineffective wall.

Trump also gave the green light to child trafficking when he signed to allow illegal immigrants to sponsor children who come alone.  It was Amnesty.

Obama's wall:

Obama says the border fence is 'now basically complete'
By Robert Farley on Monday, May 16th, 2011 at 5:03 p.m.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/may/16/barack-obama/obama-says-border-fence-now-basically-complete/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:16:31 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 06:33:20 pm »
I believe Trump was misled to believe healthcare was a more urgent issue when he first took office, and he compromised and went that route.  I also believe it was folks from the swamp that led him down that path.  He did in fact get snookered.

I see the wall as vital to national security and to the protection of our citizens.

I also believe we should deport every illegal alien after making them an offer to leave and apply to re-enter.  Those that leave on their own will be given consideration for legal return.  Those that do not will be deported, including all in their family.

Either we are a sovereign nation, or we are a banana republic that is in severe decline.

I think it is time to bring slander and libel charges against a media that is totally corrupt, or against those that own the outlets that encourage false news.

And if I were Trump, I would balance the WH Press Corp, and have half representing the lying radical liberal media, and the other half from moderate to conservative media outlets that report the news honestly. I would kick out the three worst networks/newspapers for false news and ban them from the WH Press Corp.  Let them get their news from AP!

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 06:39:31 pm »
No, the price we are paying is for the Unconstitutional power grab by courts to say they, not the President, are responsible for defending this country.

Let them rule, then he will ignore.

I agree with your point about which branch of the govt is responsible for defending our country. The problem though is, unlike obama, if Trump ignores the courts the Pubs will line up behind the Rats and he will be impeached.

Unfortunately, Trump has to do everything on immigration with very little support. I'm sure a "restraining order" is going to be issued by an "imperial judge" in short order, but when the issue finally gets to the SCOTUS he should win. The problem is it probably won't be until late 2020.

We will face a key point in our history in the 2020 election. Do we remain a sovereign republic, or do we become a "democratic" socialist country with open borders.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home