Author Topic: India's Modi chooses woman facing terrorism charges as election candidate  (Read 282 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
India's Modi chooses woman facing terrorism charges as election candidate

Zeba Siddiqui

BHOPAL, India (Reuters) - For nearly a decade, Pragya Thakur was known mostly as the saffron-clad Hindu ascetic shuttling in and out of Indian courts, flanked by police, facing charges under an anti-terrorism law for plotting a bomb attack on Muslims.

Last month, the 49-year-old was fielded as a candidate by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the current general election, in which he is seeking a second term.

Overnight, Thakur, who has been out on bail since 2017, emerged as a symbol of a Hindu nationalist movement that is showing increasing intolerance towards Muslims in the Hindu-dominated nation.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-election-priestess/indias-modi-chooses-woman-facing-terrorism-charges-as-election-candidate-idUSKCN1SN0OF

I know we probably do not know how to navigate Indian politics, it is interesting all the same, more on this Thakur individual.
Pragya Thakur apologises for Gandhi killer 'patriot' comment

ontroversial ruling party candidate apologises for calling Gandhi's killer a patriot

What is happening?

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) politician Pragya Thakur has apologised after calling Nathuram Godse - the man who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi - a "patriot".

Several political parties had criticised her comment and her own party demanded that she should publicly apologise.

"It was my personal opinion. My intention was not to hurt anyone's sentiments. If I've hurt anyone, I do apologise. What Gandhi Ji has done for the country cannot be forgotten. My statement has been twisted by the media," Ms Thakur said on Thursday evening.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47114401

Years ago, I caught "9 hours to Rama", didn't see the whole thing but thought it looked good and then, eventually saw the whole thing. It's about the assassination of Mohatma Ghandi.

Besides the famous movie on Ghandi, I see it is available to watch at youtube for free I believe. I will post a scene.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Besides the famously acclaimed movie "Ghandi" which is pretty good too. They always show it around the holidays, I guess it is considered a classic but this earlier movie did very well for its time.

'9 hours to Rama' is pretty darn good before these international type movies were not as common and as I said, available to watch for free at youtube.  1963.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:22:19 am by TomSea »