Author Topic: Texas Senate passes 'Save Chick-fil-A' bill despite concerns about anti-LGBT bias  (Read 547 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dallas News 5/16/2019

The Texas Senate has approved a bill that would prohibit the government from penalizing individuals and businesses for their charitable giving to or membership in religious groups.

Senate Bill 1978, which supporters call the "Save Chick-fil-A" bill, was passed by a vote of 19-12 on Thursday afternoon after about four hours of debate over two days. Sen. Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, broke with his party to vote in favor, while Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo split with fellow Republicans to vote against the bill.

The legislation now heads to the Texas House for further debate, just 10 days before lawmakers are scheduled to go home.

In the waning days of the 2019 session, this so-called "Save Chick-fil-A bill" has quickly become one of the most divisive issues in an otherwise mostly harmonious year. It's pitted Republican lawmakers and conservative groups that pushed two years ago for the infamous "bathroom bill" against Democrats and their allies in the LGBT rights community, who accuse the GOP of giving a supporting hate under the guise of protecting "religious freedom."

Bill author Sen. Bryan Hughes said these concerns were unfounded and overblown.

"I challenge anyone to find one word of discrimination in this bill. This bill clearly and simply provides that if you affiliate with or make a donation to a religious organization, you cannot be punished by your government," Hughes, R-Mineola, said as he closed debate on the bill Thursday. "This protects everyone's right to religious freedom."

More: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/05/15/revived-save-chick-fil-bill-will-debated-wednesday-texas-senate

Offline Idiot

Dallas News 5/16/2019

The Texas Senate has approved a bill that would prohibit the government from penalizing individuals and businesses for their charitable giving to or membership in religious groups.

Senate Bill 1978, which supporters call the "Save Chick-fil-A" bill, was passed by a vote of 19-12 on Thursday afternoon after about four hours of debate over two days. Sen. Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, broke with his party to vote in favor, while Sen. Kel Seliger of Amarillo split with fellow Republicans to vote against the bill.

The legislation now heads to the Texas House for further debate, just 10 days before lawmakers are scheduled to go home.

In the waning days of the 2019 session, this so-called "Save Chick-fil-A bill" has quickly become one of the most divisive issues in an otherwise mostly harmonious year. It's pitted Republican lawmakers and conservative groups that pushed two years ago for the infamous "bathroom bill" against Democrats and their allies in the LGBT rights community, who accuse the GOP of giving a supporting hate under the guise of protecting "religious freedom."

Bill author Sen. Bryan Hughes said these concerns were unfounded and overblown.

"I challenge anyone to find one word of discrimination in this bill. This bill clearly and simply provides that if you affiliate with or make a donation to a religious organization, you cannot be punished by your government," Hughes, R-Mineola, said as he closed debate on the bill Thursday. "This protects everyone's right to religious freedom."

More: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2019/05/15/revived-save-chick-fil-bill-will-debated-wednesday-texas-senate
Reminds me.....I need a grilled chicken sandwich from chick-fil-a.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
the newly formed Texas House LGBTQ Caucus

:3:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.