Author Topic: Marine sergeant dies a few days after collapsing during a unit run in North Carolina  (Read 1133 times)

rangerrebew

Marine sergeant dies a few days after collapsing during a unit run in North Carolina
By: Shawn Snow  

A Marine died on Saturday after collapsing during a unit run held days prior at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to Marine officials.

Aid was “rendered on-site immediately” to Sgt. Mark A Bryant after he collapsed May 7 during a run with Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force – Southern Command, according to Maj. Matthew Mallalieu, a spokesman with the task force.

Bryant was transported by life flight to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina, where he passed away on Saturday, Mallalieu said.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2019/05/14/marine-sergeant-dies-a-few-days-after-collapsing-during-a-unit-run-in-north-carolina/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:15:08 am by rangerrebew »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There was also a story about a couple of Navy recruits dying while on morning runs in boot camp.

Sounds to me like the US Navy and USMC need better medical screening programs to find existing/developing heart/heart-related problems. A Corpsman with a stethoscope just ain't going to cut it anymore.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online rustynail

Was he carrying a female's gear?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
There was also a story about a couple of Navy recruits dying while on morning runs in boot camp.

Sounds to me like the US Navy and USMC need better medical screening programs to find existing/developing heart/heart-related problems. A Corpsman with a stethoscope just ain't going to cut it anymore.
I have seen this too. Don't know what it is, but it is not uncommon for someone to drop out of a run or an exercise.
My opinion is that if someone has a pre-existing undiagnosed condition, the military will find it. Sometimes fatally.

Try waking up every day at 5am for a 10 click run, with obstacles every 100 meters. Do that for 6 months to life. If you make it you make it. If you don't it's not your fault. That's just the way it is.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I have seen this too. Don't know what it is, but it is not uncommon for someone to drop out of a run or an exercise.
My opinion is that if someone has a pre-existing undiagnosed condition, the military will find it. Sometimes fatally.

Try waking up every day at 5am for a 10 click run, with obstacles every 100 meters. Do that for 6 months to life. If you make it you make it. If you don't it's not your fault. That's just the way it is.

This is pretty much correct.  These kind of things have always happened, and are more or less inevitable when you take very large numbers of people and put them through vigorous exercise.

Some latent conditions that aren't apparent during normal screenings, and only arise during intense physical stress, are inevitably going to affect a very small percentage of people.   This occasionally happens with college athletes as well -- someone will simply drop dead during practice, etc..  Very sad, but I'm not sure it is completely avoidable as a practical matter.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Reading between the lines, there seem to be a number of these that are sickle-cell related.  I do know there is some politics involved in screening for sickle cell as it disqualifies a much higher percentage of black recruits.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@240B

I  have been on 5 mile morning runs before breakfast wearing jump boots and fatigue uniform,and seen people break formation to puke up last night's whiskey,and then run fast to catch up and get back in their place in the column. Done it myself a time or two,too.

I have seen people just fall right over already asleep from fatigue and sleep deprivation,but I never saw anyone die from it.

The tells me the USN and the USMC are doing something wrong.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Reading between the lines, there seem to be a number of these that are sickle-cell related.  I do know there is some politics involved in screening for sickle cell as it disqualifies a much higher percentage of black recruits.

@Maj Bill Martin

Thanks,I didn't know that. I DID know that no negative reporting in allowed of anyone that isn't white,though,and if it is someone that isn't white they never seem to be able to find a photo to publish with the story.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That really sucks, because one could justifiably replace "disqualifies" with "saves the life of".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

rangerrebew

I'm about to post an article which claims 71% of Americans are unfit to serve, so maybe recruiters and the medical corps are pushing the envelope a bit too hard. *hmmmm*

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B
The[is] tells me the USN and the USMC are doing something wrong.
This tells me, that you do not understand.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This tells me, that you do not understand.

@240B

OK,so explain it to me.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

OK,so explain it to me.
@sneakypete

Can't, if you don't know, then I can never explain it to you.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Can't, if you don't know, then I can never explain it to you.

@240B

If you don't know,you should just say so.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

If you don't know,you should just say so.
stand down...I'm good,
I'm OK! that's enough

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Life/Death
War/Peace

That's just the way it is. That is just how it rolls out.
Rock and Roll Mutherf**kers, here we Go!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Troops of all services, and NCAA athletes, have been dropping dead after physical exertion from unexpected/unknown medical problem for decades.  These two happen to hit the papers at about the same time, but it really isn't that uncommon.

Offline Victoria33

I'm about to post an article which claims 71% of Americans are unfit to serve, so maybe recruiters and the medical corps are pushing the envelope a bit too hard. *hmmmm*
@rangerrebew

This is what I am thinking too - people these days, in their earlier life do not have enough exercise to develop strong hearts and circulatory systems.  It is more fun to sit with their computers than get outside and exercise/run, and besides that makes you sweat and then you need to take a shower so better to stay sitting with computer games.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@rangerrebew

It is more fun to sit with their computers than get outside and exercise/run, and besides that makes you sweat and then you need to take a shower so better to stay sitting with computer games.

@Victoria33

That's one popular opinion,but it's not mine. I LOVED working outside and getting sweaty and tired. Made me feel like I had done something at the end of the day other than steal oxygen.