Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: Alabama Governor Signs Near-Total Abortion Ban  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING NEWS: Alabama Governor Signs Near-Total Abortion Ban
May 15, 2019

MONTGOMERY – Governor Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, after both houses of the Alabama Legislature passed HB314.

The legislation bans all abortions. The only exception is to save a woman’s life. The bill could also punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison.

Upon signing the bill, Governor Ivey released the following statement:

“Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, a bill that was approved by overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature. To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God.

To all Alabamians, I assure you that we will continue to follow the rule of law.

In all meaningful respects, this bill closely resembles an abortion ban that has been a part of Alabama law for well over 100 years. As today’s bill itself recognizes, that longstanding abortion law has been rendered “unenforceable as a result of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade.”

No matter one’s personal view on abortion, we can all recognize that, at least for the short term, this bill may similarly be unenforceable. As citizens of this great country, we must always respect the authority of the U.S. Supreme Court even when we disagree with their decisions. Many Americans, myself included, disagreed when Roe v. Wade was handed down in 1973. The sponsors of this bill believe that it is time, once again, for the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit this important matter, and they believe this act may bring about the best opportunity for this to occur.

I want to commend the bill sponsors, Rep. Terri Collins and Sen. Clyde Chambliss, for their strong leadership on this important issue.

For the remainder of this session, I now urge all members of the Alabama Legislature to continue seeking the best ways possible to foster a better Alabama in all regards, from education to public safety. We must give every person the best chance for a quality life and a promising future.”

https://breaking911.com/breaking-news-alabama-governor-signs-near-total-abortion-ban/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Alabama Governor Signs Near-Total Abortion Ban
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:29:35 pm »
Alabama becomes more attractive to me by the day.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:37:08 pm »
Good for them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:49 pm »
I hope they also made judicial interference an equally abhorrent crime, otherwise this bill is useless.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:05:31 am »
I hope they also made judicial interference an equally abhorrent crime, otherwise this bill is useless.

More and more states are fighting back against Roe v. Wade.  Roe v. Wade if I am understanding it as written considers and deals with trimesters of pregnancy.  In the same light, abortions have been allowed beyond these limitations.  Recently, even terminating life after birth!  So, I am glad to see this push back and I think it will be likely that the Supremes will be asked to rule again? 

Perhaps leaving the issue up to individual states would be the best ruling?  However, in doing so, that opens up room for more and more rights to be given back to the states.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:16:37 am »
This is awesome!  Inspiring, encouraging, life saving goodness.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:17:29 am »
Thank God Alabama made this happen.

When the majority of the people in the USA believe abortion is wrong, then it is equally wrong that we need to abide by anything 7 lying attorneys sitting on the Supreme Court decide upon.  Roe vs Wade was a bad decision, worse than Dred Scott and half a dozen other bad decisions through history.

We have as a nation committing genocide in the name of women's rights, and 60 million+ babies were sent to their death.  And Planned Parenthood, founded by Margaret Sanger, the mother if you will of eugenics is responsible for many of the 60+ million abortions. Normally, you would think progressives would be irrate over the notion that Sanger wanted to hold down the number of births of what she considered undesirables, people of color, Catholics and Jews, and the poor, but the progressives sing her praises.  Beyond comprehension to me!

Ironically, in going through lists of bad decisions of the Supreme Court, I did not find one that listed Roe vs Wade, and yet it is the ONLY one that resulted in 10s of millions of humans being murdered.  It is the single greatest travesty in this nation's history.  And it continues, but perhaps not in Alabama.

RBG goes away while Trump is president, I say Roe vs Wade will not stand, and Roberts can go and abuse himself!  The future of this nation depends on Trump or a real conservative Republican getting elected in 2020.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:09 am »
Fishrrman's credo (yes, I know I've posted it before):
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

It looks like the good legislators of Alabama crafted and passed this law knowing it would serve to become "the vehicle" by which to thrust Roe before the Supreme Court for re-evaluation and possible overturning -- which would send the abortion struggle "back to the states".

They'll probably get their wish. This will almost certainly be adjudicated as "unconstitutional" at the federal trial court level, and I would expect the federal appellate court to uphold the trial court.

That pushes it to the U.S. Supreme Court, which is leaning a good-ways conservative at the moment.

But... I expect that the High Court also will stick by Roe.
Not because the [conservative] justices admire the Roe decision, but they realize that to overturn it would result in tumult.

... Which in particular would damage the future of the Republican party.
At this stage in the nation's history, it would become a Pyrrhic victory for traditional-minded Americans.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:33:49 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 01:39:51 am »
Not a serious measure to reduce the number of abortions, but a deliberate assault on the rights of women.

Yeah, the GOP is sure going to do well in the upcoming elections.   *****rollingeyes*****
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 01:56:18 am »
Not a serious measure to reduce the number of abortions, but a deliberate assault on the rights of women.

Yeah, the GOP is sure going to do well in the upcoming elections.   *****rollingeyes*****

Your support for infanticide is the real and true assault on women’s rights.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:06 am »

Wow.  What about the assault on life??  Roe V. Wade clearly stipulated guidelines using trimesters; yet over time those boundaries have been grossly extended and we now have fetus' being aborted well into the third trimester with proposals of terminating life right after birth!   Imagine a baby just being born into this world and then immediately killed and discarded like a piece of garbage. How do you feel that this is ok?

Some statistics that you just might want to ponder for awhile and truly ask yourself what about the rights of the baby:

Survival Rates (approximately based on multiple factors)

Babies born 23 weeks have a 17 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 26 weeks have an 80 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 27 weeks have a 90 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born between 28-31 weeks gestation have at 90-95 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born between 32-33 weeks have a 95 percent chance of survival.
    Most babies born 34 weeks or greater have the same likelihood of survival as a full term infant.

??? So a political party should go along with terminating life of a child right after birth, or well into the baby's third trimester to win votes??  To me that is just plain sick.

As modern medicine and technology progresses, a life is becoming more and more viable earlier and earlier into the pregnancy.

Sorry, but I truly find your liberal stance on this quite offensive.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 03:07:49 am »
236 times the Supreme Court has undone something they have done from prior years.  They are not perfect by a long shot.  Dred Scott was a despicable decision, but it was in keeping with the mindset of people back then, north and south.  So yes, they make decisions to please the populace at the time, and the majority of the USA population oppose abortion.  A very large number of us consider it murder.

I think it is great that Alabama created this legislation, but it might be premature.  Roberts cannot be counted on for the 5th vote.  He is a liberal bum in my opinion.  So, I see this getting shot down in the Supreme Court.  Should RBG leave the Supreme Court, Trump could potentially put a conservative on the bench that would vote against abortion. 

I just keep making comparisons to Russia/USSR.  We keep becoming more like them every day, and I do not think that is a good thing.  I have been there three times, and it is very much a godless country.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 04:11:53 am »
“I think Alabama has gone too far, they’ve passed a law that would give a 99-year prison sentence to those who commit abortions,” Mr Robertson said during an episode of his long-running Christian television show, The 700 Club.

“There’s no exception for rape or incest,” he continued. “It’s an extreme law and they want to challenge Roe v Wade, but my humble view is that this is not the case we want to bring to the Supreme Court because I think this one’ll lose.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-abortion-ban-gone-too-224201197.html

Didn’t expect that.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 06:28:24 am »

Kay (governor) was caught recently pushing new candidates to ONLY run if they would support her Gas Tax bill... I think this bill was to try to cover that up and make the voters forget that she is a turncoat when it comes to taxes and spending.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 12:42:22 pm »
Wow.  What about the assault on life??  Roe V. Wade clearly stipulated guidelines using trimesters; yet over time those boundaries have been grossly extended and we now have fetus' being aborted well into the third trimester with proposals of terminating life right after birth!   Imagine a baby just being born into this world and then immediately killed and discarded like a piece of garbage. How do you feel that this is ok?

Some statistics that you just might want to ponder for awhile and truly ask yourself what about the rights of the baby:

Survival Rates (approximately based on multiple factors)

Babies born 23 weeks have a 17 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 26 weeks have an 80 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born at 27 weeks have a 90 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born between 28-31 weeks gestation have at 90-95 percent chance of survival.
    Babies born between 32-33 weeks have a 95 percent chance of survival.
    Most babies born 34 weeks or greater have the same likelihood of survival as a full term infant.

??? So a political party should go along with terminating life of a child right after birth, or well into the baby's third trimester to win votes??  To me that is just plain sick.

As modern medicine and technology progresses, a life is becoming more and more viable earlier and earlier into the pregnancy.

Sorry, but I truly find your liberal stance on this quite offensive.

@libertybele ,  the Alabama bill is the bridge too far that, I fear, will cost the GOP (not just Trump, but Republicans in general) the 2020 elections. 

And we had 'em on the ropes, you know,  because the Dem bills to legalize third-trimester infanticide are extreme and obnoxious.   But Alabama (and the several other states that have passed "heartbeat" bills)  have countered with extreme legislation of their own,  which are blatantly unconstitutional under current law and represent the kind of assault on womens' rights that will galvanize independents in opposition.   

And what's worse is that if sensible Republicans speak out against these bills,  they will be attacked by the fetus-obsessed wing of the base.    They will be caught in the middle and the result will be a rout in Congress.    The GOP is truly sowing the seeds of its own destruction. 

Now the facts in your post suggest a sensible position for pro-life Republicans to take - restrict abortion after the 23rd week when the fetus has a fighting chance to survive on its own.   That gives a woman a full five months to decide whether to exercise her Constitutional right.   If she can't make her decision by then,  then the state can step in and protect the fetus's choate potential for life.   Such restrictions aren't all that dissimilar to abortion restrictions in Europe. 

But the Alabama bill bans virtually all abortions, at all stages of pregnancy,  without even an exception for rape and incest.   The heartbeat bills ban the procedure after six weeks, before many women will even know for sure they're pregnant.    These bills will rightfully be seen as deliberate assaults on women,   and will destroy the goodwill the GOP has built up in the last several months in opposing the pro-aborts' own extremism in legalizing third-trimester infanticide.

Take it from Ralph Reed if you can't stand my "liberal stance" on this matter - the GOP has the high road when it acts to prevent late-pregnancy abortions,  not when it demands a raped woman endure her pregnancy with absolutely no choice in the matter.   

Hopefully the statements by Reed and Robertson will knock some sense into the GOP.   I can see Donald Trump seizing this as a Sistah Souljah moment - a chance to re-align the GOP with the majority sentiment that abortion be safe, legal and rare.   Come out in support of sensible, constitutional restrictions,  and denounce these cynical attempts to force the Supreme Court to overturn its forty-year support for the liberty of women.   

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:46:04 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 12:53:02 pm »
“I think Alabama has gone too far, they’ve passed a law that would give a 99-year prison sentence to those who commit abortions,” Mr Robertson said during an episode of his long-running Christian television show, The 700 Club.

“There’s no exception for rape or incest,” he continued. “It’s an extreme law and they want to challenge Roe v Wade, but my humble view is that this is not the case we want to bring to the Supreme Court because I think this one’ll lose.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-abortion-ban-gone-too-224201197.html

Didn’t expect that.

This is common sense.   I'm not sure what it says about us that common sense is so shocking because it is unexpected!

The danger here is that Republicans of all stripes will have to render opinions on these bills,  and it will cleave the party in two.   A divided GOP is a vulnerable GOP, and we've given the Dems a gift.   And to think the GOP was united several months ago in opposition to Dems' callous calls to defeat measures that would require a born-alive baby to be given medical care!

Now the maelstrom is here -  a frontal assault on women's rights that will galvanize the sensible center against us.   

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 12:59:15 pm »
Just to set the record straight @Jazzhead does not support infanticide or assault women's rights.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
This is common sense.   I'm not sure what it says about us that common sense is so shocking because it is unexpected!

The danger here is that Republicans of all stripes will have to render opinions on these bills,  and it will cleave the party in two.   A divided GOP is a vulnerable GOP, and we've given the Dems a gift.   And to think the GOP was united several months ago in opposition to Dems' callous calls to defeat measures that would require a born-alive baby to be given medical care!

Now the maelstrom is here -  a frontal assault on women's rights that will galvanize the sensible center against us.

I guess I’m surprised, considering some of his comments, in the wake of 9/11.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 01:46:11 pm »

We must ALL conform to the worldview of the coasts. They will tell us how to think about these things.

Asserting our own regional values simply will not be tolerated.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 01:48:13 pm »
We must ALL conform to the worldview of the coasts. They will tell us how to think about these things.

Asserting our own regional values simply will not be tolerated.

Your "regional values" may not be what you think:

Why America's strict new anti-abortion laws could backfire

The anti-abortion laws passed in recent days by legislatures in Alabama and Georgia seem designed for one purpose: to get the Supreme Court to overturn its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that guaranteed a woman's right to an abortion. The Court — more solidly conservative now than ever thanks to the recent addition of Justice Brett Kavanaugh — may well uphold those new laws.

Will voters do the same?

Maybe not. There is plenty of evidence that citizens of conservative states are, to some extent, actually protective of abortion rights. It may not be something they proclaim in their offices, at church, or to pollsters — but their secret beliefs can become quite evident once they enter the voting booth. This should make the legislators who passed the new bills very nervous.

"There's a lot of public pressure to be anti-abortion," Marvin Buehner, a South Dakota OB-GYN said at the time of the 2008 proposal. "People are more likely to answer the poll that they'll support [a ban]. Then they get into the ballot booth and decide they just can't vote for something like that."   

These sweeping new laws do very little to assuage the concerns of such voters. Alabama's bill, for example, makes no exception for incest or rape. Georgia's law would grant personhood protections to fetuses just six weeks after conception. Even if the Supreme Court upholds the laws, the examples from Kansas, Mississippi, and South Dakota suggest that legislators who passed these new bills could find themselves suddenly vulnerable.

There's a sensible center, even in Alabama.    These bills will galvanize those voters, who in the privacy of the voting booth, will harbor grave misgivings about laws that force, for example,  a raped woman to give birth.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:53:35 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 01:54:21 pm »
Your "regional values" may not be what you think:

Why America's strict new anti-abortion laws could backfire

Why trust people to run their own lives and allow them to choose their own laws and leaders when we know whats really best for them? Wouldn't want things to backfire.

You sure are selective about how this liberty thing gets applied.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 01:55:52 pm »
Why trust people to run their own lives and allow them to choose their own laws and leaders when we know whats really best for them? Wouldn't want things to backfire.

You sure are selective about how this liberty thing gets applied.

Even the voters of Alabama won't support the State forcing a raped woman to give birth. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:40 pm »
Even the voters of Alabama won't support the State forcing a raped woman to give birth.

Then they'll vote their representatives out and change the law. Isn't that the way things are supposed to work?

Its the left that forces its values down everyone else's throat from afar. Right?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:58:42 pm by skeeter »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:58 pm »
When you are raped, the ER gives you drugs to prevent pregnancy so it's not a valid scenario.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:26 pm »
I have faith that the people of Alabama voted for the law makers they wanted, and the law makers are hearing their voters say they want this.  As is there right as a state under the Constitution.

From my mid-west WI perspective a GOP that abandons the right to life is less attractive for my vote.