Author Topic: Here are this week’s biggest stock-market losers as Trump’s trade war on China continues  (Read 1878 times)

Offline libertybele

....Are we headed for a recession or just market jitters??  Trade war with China could very well start a global recession?

Here are this week’s biggest stock-market losers as Trump’s trade war on China continues

U.S. stocks declined for a fourth straight trading session Thursday after President Trump said China’s government “broke the deal” on trade.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -0.54% fell as much as 450 points (1.7%), while the S&P 500 Index SPX, -0.30%  pulled back as much as 1.5%, and the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP, -0.41%  was down as much as 1.8%.

More on trade negotiations and how the markets may be affected as President Trump’s Friday deadline for more tariffs on imports from China approaches:..............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/here-are-this-weeks-biggest-stock-market-losers-as-trumps-trade-war-on-china-continues-2019-05-09?mod=mw_theo_homepage
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Fear not chicken littles there will be no recession.  No SM crash.   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Fear not chicken littles there will be no recession.  No SM crash.

The market left to its own devices is cyclical ... an upswing cannot continue indefinitely.  I don't see this as a correction, but rather a response to Trump's trade war with China. BTW Chuckie is agreeing with Trump on this ... can't be good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online kevindavis007

Can't seem to recall the last time we won a trade war.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Tariffs will bring in FAR MORE wealth to our Country than even a phenomenal deal of the traditional kind. Also, much easier & quicker to do. Our Farmers will do better, faster, and starving nations can now be helped. Waivers on some products will be granted, or go to new source!

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/443064-trump-on-tariff-talks-absolutely-no-need-to-rush

Try to unpack this ridiculous mess of reasoning, here. He actually thinks the tariffs are being paid by China and the money can be used to buy products from farmers to give away, as foreign aid. It’s actually a tax on US consumers, used to subsidize agriculture and foreign aid. This isn’t the first time he’s been under the impression taxing or borrowing makes us ‘rich.’ It’s a very poor understanding of economics, for someone who’s supposed to have such great business acumen.

“Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich,” Trump wrote in a posting about the increase in military spending. “Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!”
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Can't seem to recall the last time we won a trade war.

Who was the former President with the steel to fight to win @kevindavis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't care what "the market" does.
I left that arena a long time ago, and will never return.

But one observation:
What "is good for Wall Street" does not necessarily correlate to being good for the average American, as well.
And... vice versa.

Online kevindavis007

Who was the former President with the steel to fight to win @kevindavis
How is higher prices for me winning? Even if China does cave how will we enforce the deal?

Online kevindavis007

But one observation:
What "is good for Wall Street" does not necessarily correlate to being good for the average American, as well.
And... vice versa.
I guess you never heard of 401k.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
How is higher prices for me winning? Even if China does cave how will we enforce the deal?

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account  @realDonaldTrump

The unexpectedly good first quarter 3.2% GDP was greatly helped by Tariffs from China. Some people just don’t get it!

4:02 AM - 13 May 2019

Because Donny said so. First, he thinks China is paying the tariffs. In reality, it is, as you say, the end user who is paying, in most cases. In either case, it’s an artificial construct, which he thinks is ‘growth.’ This is not surprising. He has previously equated increasing the military budget, through borrowing, as making them ‘rich.’

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Because of the $700 & $716 Billion Dollars gotten to rebuild our Military, many jobs are created and our Military is again rich. Building a great Border Wall, with drugs (poison) and enemy combatants pouring into our Country, is all about National Defense. Build WALL through M!

5:33 AM · Mar 25, 2018 · Twitter for iPhone

A decade ago, we mocked the president who tried to promote economic growth through taxation, borrowing, spending, and stimulus. Seems like it’s just fine, if it is ‘our’ guy.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. If these businesses can't survive the MAGA economy, maybe they should be nationalized or just fail.

Maybe we need more control over everything. Give every business a lost of who the government deems favorable to them, tell them who they can or can't buy from, and punish them if they don't bend to the change.

Companies that do comply should be protected. Maybe issue some sort of special government bond, like a Mofo Bill that they can use to trade with each other, only given to loyal companies of MAGA, and can be exchanged for money at a higher than market rate as the government chooses. This way loyal companies have special privilege and disloyal companies can't work in the market.

Nation first.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:57:00 pm by ABX »

Offline thackney

But one observation:
And... vice versa.
Most American families are in the market.  "We" are wall street.

A once-every-three-years study by the Federal Reserve Board found that in 2016, 51.9 percent of families owned stocks, either directly or as part of a fund. And in 2017, Gallup found that 54 percent of respondents owned stocks either directly or as part of a fund.

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2018/sep/18/ro-khanna/what-percentage-americans-own-stocks/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline NavyCanDo

The surest way for Trump to hand over the election is for the economy to tank and unemployment to rise. I sure hope he knows what he is doing because terrif wars give me a sour feeling in my stomach. My employment relies on international trade, with China being by far the largest customer.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The surest way for Trump to hand over the election is for the economy to tank and unemployment to rise. I sure hope he knows what he is doing because terrif wars give me a sour feeling in my stomach. My employment relies on international trade, with China being by far the largest customer.
China has been engaged in a one-sided tariff war with us for years.  Caused a lot of decline from our manufacturing sector.  Here's one example.  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,361797.0.html

We finally decided to fight back, and we already see headway in blue collar jobs being strengthened and the lowest unemployment in years..  China are the ones that will take it on the chin.

Sorry about your own situation, though.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:25:10 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington