Author Topic: Sacred Duty: A Soldier’s Tour at Arlington National Cemetery  (Read 317 times)

rangerrebew

Sacred Duty: A Soldier’s Tour at Arlington National Cemetery
April/May 2019 

Tom Cotton
U.S. Senator from Arkansas and Author, Sacred Duty: A Soldier’s Tour at Arlington National Cemetery

The following is adapted from a speech delivered on April 9, 2019, at Hillsdale College’s Allan P. Kirby, Jr. Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship in Washington, D.C.

Every headstone at Arlington tells a story. These are tales of heroes, I thought, as I placed the toe of my combat boot against the white marble. I pulled a miniature American flag out of my assault pack and pushed it three inches into the ground at my heel. I stepped aside to inspect it, making sure it met the standard that we had briefed to our troops: “vertical and perpendicular to the headstone.” Satisfied, I moved to the next headstone to keep up with my soldiers. Having started this row, I had to complete it. One soldier per row was the rule; otherwise, different boot sizes might disrupt the perfect symmetry of the headstones and flags. I planted flag after flag, as did the soldiers on the rows around me.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/sacred-duty-soldiers-tour-arlington-national-cemetery/?utm_campaign=imprimis&utm_source=housefile&utm_medium=email&utm_content=aprilmay2019sacredduty&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8ucyidijAYZkJqAnM2HlkjUrLj6Ocmwi3YWbPgjWxHUjaDCb_FkTDZ89NdUaKtsQm6zhMGInLs4uuuf28hyZ2ngjJNtg&_hsmi=72653428

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Very good article at the source.
Thanks for posting!